Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2011 Annual Book List

I was amazed to realize in looking over my book list for this last year that I had read exactly 52. One for each week, it evens out to, though I didn't actually follow that timetable. I am so grateful to think of all the encouragement, wisdom, and growth I received mentally this year, and I thought that you might be inspired if I posted this list.  I'm going to be reviewing many of these books in the future, and would not give all of them an unconditional recommendation,  but the ones I wouldn't read again I put a special note by. Also, the ones I just loved I had to make a note of, too. To think after reading all those books, I'm still behind on my list. :)

1.       The Betrayal, by Douglas Bond

2.       Lysbeth, by H. Ryder Haggard

3.       Kingdom’s Dawn (1), by Chuck Black (any CB is a must-read)

4.       A Father’s Promise, by Donna Lynn Hess

5.       (Title not yet published)

6.       Kingdom’s Hope (2), by Chuck Black

7.       Kingdom’s Edge (3), by Chuck Black

8.       The Pilgrim of Hate, by Ellis Peters

9.       The Valley of Fear, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

10.   Ellie: A Pioneer Girl’s Journey West, by Dean Cummings

11.   Joyfully At Home, by Jasmine Baucham

12.   Best Friends for Life, by Michael and Judy Phillips

13.   Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens

14.   Kingdom’s Call (4), by Chuck Black

15.   Kingdom’s Quest (5), by Chuck Black

16.   Music in the Balance, by Frank Garlock and Kurt Woetzel

17.   Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione (1), by Chuck Black

18.   Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (2), by Chuck Black

19.   How to be a Lady, by Harvey Newcomb

20.   The Shepherd of the Hills, by Harold Bell Wright

21.   Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (3), by Chuck Black

22.   Kidnapped , by Robert Louis Stevenson

23.   Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (4), by Chuck Black

24.   Prester John, by John Buchan

25.   Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor (5), by Chuck Black

26.   Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (6), by Chuck Black

27.   Wild Grows the Heather in Devon, by Michael Phillips

28.   Reformation Heroes, by Diana Kleyn and Joel R. Beeke

29.   Kingdom’s Reign (6), by Chuck Black

30.   The Keeper of the Bees, by Gene Stratton-Porter

31.   Bacon Sandwiches and Salvation, by Adrian Plass (recommended with caution)

32.   A Season of Shadows, by Paul McCusker

33.   Magnificent Obsession, by Lloyd C. Douglas (confusing)

34.   The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas                                                                                                                             

35.   A Tangled Web, by L.M. Montgomery (hilarious. great story.)

36.   Imposter, by Davis Bunn

37.   Raiders from the Sea, by Lois Walfrid Johnson

38.   Treasure of Stonewycke, by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella

39.   God’s Smuggler, by Brither Andrew

40.   Freckles, by Gene Stratton-Porter

41.   Her Father’s Daughter, by Gene Stratton-Porter

42.   Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott

43.   The Puzzle of Ancient Man, by Donald E. Chittick (excellent creation science on ancient man)

44.   Dream Big…But Beware of Dream Killers, by Todd Wilson

45.   To Have and to Hold, by Mary Johnston (Vision Forum edition)

46.   The Thirty Nine Steps, by John Buchan

47.   A Rift In Time, by Michael Phillips (interesting speculation on the location of Eden)

       48.   Hinds’ Feet on High Places, by Hannah Hurnard (five stars-must read)

49.   The Harvester, by Gene Stratton-Porter (not recommended)

       50.   From Sea to Shining Sea, by Peter Marshall and David Manuel

 51.   The Way We Live Now, by Anthony Trollope
       52. Lion of Babylon, by Davis Bunn

 If you wanted my number one recommendation, I would start with Kingdom's Dawn by Chuck Black, or if you like speculative creation science, A Rift in Time, by Michael Phillips. :) I hope to be able to review all of these in the future. I love beating my reading record!

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

9 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind a comment from a complete stranger who also loves books? :)

    What did you think of "The Thirty-Nine Steps"? I read it in 2010, and thought it was pretty good, although I like John Buchan's novels with Edward Leithen better.

    I also really like Little Dorrit, it is perhaps my favourite of Dickens' work, along with Dombey and Son. :)

    Krystina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristina!
      I don't mind comments from new readers at all. :) I thought The Thirty-Nine steps was excellent, especially from the viewpoint that it is set during WWI. I enjoyed it very much, the only warning I would probably give when I recommend is that I edit it for some profanity. I do that quite often, so its almost second nature for me. If you like that one, you might enjoy the rest of the Richard Hannay series. :)
      I agree on Little Dorrit, it's my favorite. I've never read Dombey and Son though. I'm going to have to look it up.
      Which John Buchanan books were about Edward Liethan? I haven't heard of them, and I'm intrigued. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry about the name misspelling, Krystina, the computer changed it automatically without my knowing it. :( Still figuring out Blogger's capabilities...

      Delete
  2. My sister is a very prolific reader. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lady Bibliophile:

    I enjoyed the First World War aspect of The Thirty Nine Steps as well, especially since WWI, and the time leading up to it, is part of my favourite time period in history.

    John Buchan wrote several novels with Edward Leithan as the hero- the first is "The Power-House," the second is "John Macnab", and then there are "The Dancing Floor", "The Gap in the Curtain", and "Sick Heart River". I have only read the first two, but I intend to read the rest someday. My brother and I quite like Edward Leithan, he's my idea of the quintessential hero. The first two Leithan novels are set right before WWI and sometime in the 1920s, respectively. :)

    I edit novels for profanity too! Most of the time I scribble out bad words, but in some (mainly non fiction books) I've actually cut out pages if there was enough unpleasant on it.

    I hope you enjoy Dombey and Son if you ever read it. It's been some time since I read it, and there were some things I didn't like about it (for instance, I felt in this one Dickens went a little bit too far when he satirised or poked fun at the aristocracy and their traditions) but the overall themes of the story were good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use correction tape a lot for my editing. It's a little easier then the liquid Wite-Out and covers nicely. Sometimes I'd like to do that with an illustration or two but I haven't figured it out when there's text on the back. :) Mostly in at case I'll use a sticky note to cover a statue and such. Thanks for the Edward Liethen titles! I'll be interested to compare him to Hannay, as I'm rather a Hannay fan myself.
    And if you ever have any more suggestions of books for me to review, I would love them. Any genre, any time. (Except, perhaps, paranormal romance...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, figuring out how to get rid of bad pictures can be tough, it's easier if they are in a special photo insert and not part of the regular text. Paper taped over it would work, or sticky notes, and maybe a dire message saying "do not remove..."

    I hope you enjoy the Liethan novels. I will have to get to reading more of the Hannay ones, I've only read The 39 Steps, but I know I'd enjoy the rest of the ones in which he is.

    I will make sure to pass along any suggestions I have. :)

    And about your comment above, regarding my name: Don't worry about it! :D It's quite alright. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! It looks like we have some similar reading tastes! I'm a huge Buchan fan (and agree that the profanity is one of his faults) and I also keenly enjoy Haggard, Mary Johnston, and others...

    This sounds extremely disingenous, I know, but if you are after more book recommendations, you might find my own blog interesting as it is almost entirely composed of book reviews: In Which I Read Vintage Novels

    Otherwise, it's so good to find another bookish blog, and I shall be dropping by every now and then :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good book blog! I'll definitely be stopping by. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...