Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Greater Thirst

There are days when I am indifferent to the fact that Chauvelin is pulling the whistle out of his pocket to signal the  capture of the Scarlet Pimpernel. There are afternoons when I can't bring myself to fight with Freckles for the Limberlost.  There are nights when I don't need to know the exact reason why we are all one race.

All those things are important...

But some days...

I have a greater thirst.

It is on those days that "Lady Bibliophile" turns into "Manuscript in Progress". When I am content to let the Author  of my existence write the page himself. When I stop trying to seize the pen to write my own story, and gladly yield it up to Him. When I cannot read a book, because, in a figurative way, I am becoming one.
I find it so refreshing as a bibliophile that the Lord uses 'bibliophile' terms in His Word. For some of the most important concepts of Scripture and Eternity, He calls himself the Author. The Author of life (Acts 3:15), the Author of our salvation (Hebrews 2:10) and the Author of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).
And all of us readers know that if someone is an author, then they are writing a book that we will get to read. :)

Today, there is only one book that I want to read. And it's the only one that I can't.

"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. and I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged  according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away...I saw the Holy City...And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away" (Revelation 20:11-21:4)


This is the book that I want to read, because if I were able to read it, then I would be about to experience Eternity.

While I can't do that, I can guess at least one name that will be read, by the grace of God. It will be mine, not because of anything I have done, but because of His righteousness. If I were standing on my own at that great day, and the book of life was opened, then I would be judged-not for the things I did right, but for the things I did wrong. And I would be punished accordingly. But because the sweet Lord Jesus brought me to my knees, and led me to the cross, I will be standing on that Judgment Day under His wings, covered by His blood. I can anticipate it: My heart will be pounding, and I'll be shaking from anticipation, and I'll come to the full realization of how unworthy I am. And then I'll watch as the book is opened, and the names are read forth, and I think I'll be crying in anticipation. And then, my Lord will read my name-and I will wonder at the power of the blood of Jesus Christ, who could save such a wretched sinner as I am. And I will fall to my knees before my Advocate, and cry my last tears as He wipes them away.

That will probably be the last book  I ever read-or hear read. That will be enough.

And that, today, is my greater thirst.

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. I can totally relate; I feel that way sometimes, too. ;) God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...