Friday, March 30, 2012

When Bibliophiles Play

My younger sister definitely helps keep me on the ground after a long, beautiful flight into the theology of reading. Hints of "Long post." or meaningful sighs let me know in a love-and-cuddles kind of way:  "Dear sister, please take a break, and just do something fun."

But this is fun. :)

Today, my fellow bibliophiles, I will take a day to play. And I'm going to play 'tag' or 'tagged' or whatever the blogging name is for it.
Since I am very new to this blogging world, when Joy from Fullness of Joy told me I had been selected, I had to go look it up to find out what it was. :)

Here, my friends, are the deep dark secrets of Lady Bibliophile, in response to her questions. And keep reading (don't peek) to find out who has been tagged by me...

Here Are The Rules
1. Post these rules.
2. Post 11 random things about yourself (optional).
3. Answer the questions the tagger posted for you in their post.
4.Create 11 new questions for the people you tagged to answer.
5. Go to their blog and tell them that they have been tagged.

11 Random Things about Me...

1. After I'm finished watching a movie I really like, I go back and watch all my favorite scenes a second time. (When I'm by myself)
2. I'm extremely likely to read the end of a book when I first get it and then go back and read it consecutively
3. I prefer writing my stories with a pen.
4. I like classical music when I can see it performed live at a symphony concert.
5. I am the leader of an upcoming Bright Lights group for young ladies who want to live their teen years for the Lord.
6. I am left-handed.
7. I have played the harp for four years this April (self-taught)
8. I prefer to take more books than I could possibly read on a trip, just so I don't run out. (Even though one would be sufficient.)
9. I would like to go to Prince Edward Island to see the places where Jane and Anne would have lived, if they had lived.
10. I do not like The Christmas Carol in any way, shape, or form. (apologies, Scrooge fans! That was random, I know...)
11. I am an INFJ according to the Jung- Myer's-Briggs test.

Joy's Questions...
1. Who are your top 3 favourite classic fiction authors and your top 3 favourite modern fiction authors?
Oh, my. What is considered modern here? For the sake of clarity, I'll consider anything before 1900 classic, and anything after modern. :)

Favorite Classics:
1. Definitely Dickens. (Of course, no one would know that, as I've hardly mentioned him.) Because of his laugh-out-loud humor, his cutting insights into government, and his beautiful characterizations of people like Joe Gargery, Amy Dorrit, Herbert Pocket, and Tom Pinch. Also John Westlock, Mark Tapley, Arther Clennam, and Pip.

2. Jules Verne. Best known for his book Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, this man wrote brilliant science novels, all of which were fulfilled except Journey to the Center of the Earth. My favorites of his would definitely be Mathias Sandorf, a Monte Cristo style story, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and The Mysterious Island.
3. Baroness Orczy. Honestly, who wouldn't like the Scarlet Pimpernel and his daring deeds? The all-time best in the series is Eldorado, because the Scarlet Pimpernel is actually imprisoned due to the betrayal of Marguerite's brother, Armand St. Just...
4. George MacDonald-Tales of beloved Scotland, whose characters experience strong Christian growth and the gentle love of God. These books were written for his flock after the Church of England barred him from the pulpit. He wanted to teach eternal security, and this important doctrine was rejected by the clergy of his day.

(Wish I could include John Buchan and Gene Stratton-Porter, but alas, I am out of space.)

 (Oh, Joy, four just wasn't enough for the classics. :)


Favorite Moderns:

1 Michael Phillips. This man has the astonishing ability to write like he's a tried-and-true classic. His stories of multigenerational faithfulness and interesting biblical archaeology novels mark him as a step above his modern counterparts.
2. Douglas Bond-The Crown and Covenant novels, and his stunning work on John Calvin, The Betrayal, show exquisitely researched stories of the Reformation and the Scottish Covenanters Also, his Mr. Pipes series puts hymn history in stories to make them easily understood by children and adults alike.
3.Chuck Black. Epic allegories of the Bible for teens that contain no wizardry, magic, or witchcraft. Please check him out at www.arrethtrae.com
4. My friend, Emily. Though she's not yet published, she has no objection to my mentioning her story, The Nine, a tale of nine men who stage a revolt against a tyrant king. I hope that you'll all be able to read it someday. Epic medieval-style battles and an excellent presentation of Christian loyalty.



2. Which character in John Bunyan's immortal classic, The Pilgrim's Progress, do you identify with the most in their/your spiritual journey? (Christian, Faithful, or Hopeful)

I've only read the children's adaptation of Pilgrim's Progress, but I would identify most with Hopeful at this point. I think hope is one of the most important character qualities of the Christian, because it keeps us on the One who can fulfill our needs rather than the needs themselves.
3. In J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, we see that Sam's and Frodo's responses to Gollum/Smeagol are different. If you were in Sam and Frodo's place during the times they had the opportunity of killing Gollum, would you kill him and be rid of his trickery and wickedness, or would you feel pity for him having carried the burden (the Ring) yourself, knowing its temptation, and show him mercy? (P.S. if you haven't watched/read The Lord of the Rings, you can skip this question)
I'm currently reading LOTR for the first time, so I haven't gotten to this scene yet, but I think I know enough about Gollum to answer it. Even though I loathe him, I do feel pity for his burden, and would rather see him redeemed of his past at this point. But if he doesn't want that, then I hope he comes to a quick end, because I don't want him troubling Frodo. :)
4. Which do you enjoy more: reading a book or watching a movie?
Reading a book. But I would take watching a movie adaptation of a book as a very good second choice.
5. What is your favourite kind of music to sing, hear and play and who do you think was the greatest music composer of all time?
Sing and hear and play? Definitely Celtic. The passion of the Irish and Scots is unsurpassed in the history of music. :)
Greatest composer? Probably Beethoven, because when I hear him performed, I can become completely absorbed in the music, which doesn't often happen with classical for me.

6. Which 2 books of the Bible do you tend to read from the most?
I follow of a reading plan of the entire Bible every year, but if I were just to pick it up and look for a passage, it would probably be Psalms or Isaiah. I love Isaiah chapter 40, when God  assures his people that he has not forgotten their cause, and He will give them strength to run and not grow weary.


7. Is there a figure in history (outside the Bible) that you love the most? And why?
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, because he embodies several important principles:
-a person's virtue is not established by his nationality, but by the cleansing blood of Christ. Bonhoeffer was a German during WWII, and is often consigned with all other Germans who mass executed thousands of innocents. But he was a shining light of uncompromising principle in a dark nation, and a dark time.
-He worked tirelessly for the reform of the church, never allow himself to be intimidated by the government in an age where people refused to speak up and say "This is wrong." He continually spoke out against the oppression of the Jews, when other people reacted in fear, and chose to ignore the issue.
-Even though some church leaders chose to compromise on important issues, he still gave them grace and associated with them, while not condoning their sin. I think this is important for us to know today, as we interact with other Christians that we may not agree with.

8. Is there a book or movie that you've read/watched and you've wished something had gone differently and would like to re-write it?
Yes. But unfortunately, I can't remember what it is. Probably a tale with a tragic ending, or one where the character ended sadder but wiser. I don't care for sadder but wiser endings for the main character, though I may not mind it as a sub-plot.

9. What are your 2 favourite scenes in The Chronicles of Narnia (taken from either the films, books or both)?(P.S. if you haven't watched/read The Chronicles of Narnia, you can skip this question)
Definitely The Last Battle, in The Last Battle. :) It has the power to evoke insecurity every time I listen/read it. (Are they really going to make it this time?)
And my other favorite scene is in The Horse and His Boy, when Lucy is talking to Aslan in Prince Caspian, and she asks him if he can tell her what would have happened if she had obeyed and followed him the first time. He says "What would have happened? No. But you may know what will happen, if you follow me at once."
That's a paraphrase, but something like it. I think this is a classic illustration of how Christ Jesus wants us to obey in the present and look to the future, not live in the past. He is not God of the dead past, but God of the living future.

10. What are some of the books (fiction + non-fiction) or movies that have inspired and changed your life?
-It's (Not That) Complicated (by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin) changed my perspective on how to treat young men as brothers in Christ.
-Guns of Thunder (by Douglas Bond) and the depiction of the Great Reformation brought me to the point where I believed that God had fully and freely redeemed me. I was saved before this, but I stopped fearing my sin about this point.
-Don't Wrestle, Just Nestle, (by Corrie Ten Boom) helped me to see that my worrying habits were not part of the Christian life, and helped me to overcome that worry.
-The Amazing Grace movie taught me that if God could help William Wilberforce fight impossible obstacles for twenty years against the slave trade, then he would enable me to continue on in my earnest longing for some areas of reform.
-Facing the Giants showed me that I could look at my fears, and watch them fall one by one in Jesus' Name.

11. What do you love most about the place where you live?
I live in Michigan, the beautiful state of Great Lakes and sand dunes. I dearly love being able to visit areas where a special peace seems to be in the very atmosphere, when we vacation at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. I also love being able to experience all the seasons so vibrantly: snow, eighty-degree summers, soft springs, and colorful autumns.

11 New Questions:

1. Who is your favorite Dickens character (If you haven't read any you may substitute for your general favorite character in anything you've read. :)

2. Do you keep a book list of the books you read, and if so, how many did you read last year?

3. Do you like to write stories, as well as read them?

4. Would you call yourself an introvert, or an extrovert?

5. List 5 of your favorite fiction books, and five of your favorite nonfiction (biographies count).

6. Which do you purchase more, used books or new?

7. Which book has influenced a spiritual turning point in your life? (Or a book that inspired you to live more for Christ, and why.)

8. What do you consider to be three benefits of reading modern stories, and three benefits of reading classic stories? (Classic being pre-1950)

9. Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction, and why?

10. What is your favorite genre (historical, fantasy, mystery, romance, science fiction, etc.)

11. Does the cover of a book influence your decision to pick it up, and if so, what kind of cover sparks your interest?

And I tag...

Krystina, from The Silent Wanderings
Kaleigh and Anna, from Facing the Waves
Suzannah, from In Which I Read Vintage Novels

There you have a bibliophile at play. :)

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh, a tag. Thank you! :D I shall write up my answers and post them shortly...

    ~Krystina

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! :) I'll be stopping by to see your answers. Actually, I was supposed to come to your blog and tell you, but you beat me to it. :)
    I'm coming tomorrow to see your last Kipling poem. I think I know what it will be....

    Schuyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay! :D Yes, I suppose I did save you the trouble. ;-)

      Do tell me what you think the last Kipling poem will be... I am quite curious. :D

      ~Krystina

      Delete
    2. I think, since you started of with the grand 'If', that you will climax with 'The Gods of the Copybook Headings'. :) Can't wait to see if my guess is correct. :)

      Schuyler

      Delete
    3. Well, to be quite honest, I hadn't any in mind, but after reading the poem again, and reading what exactly it was supposed to mean (practical old me, I have to be hit on the head with the spelled out meanings of some things in order to get the subtle themes not spelled out), I will post it just for you. :D

      Delete
    4. Dear Sister,
      I am glad that you suggested The Gods of the Copybook Headings. I REALLY like that poem.
      Sister

      Delete
  3. Dear Sister,
    I'm finally able to see Lady B. at play. Though I have an idea for a differant kind of play. Dollhouse? Please? :)

    I can reccomend many of your books and movies. I love Facing the Giants, The Chuck Black books, The Last Battle, and the list goes on and on. why didn't you tag me?
    Wonderful Post.
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't I tag you? Because you don't have a blog! :p
      Dollhouse? Hmmm...

      Love and cuddles,
      Sister

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tag!

    I am interested to hear that you play the harp, as one of my good friends, Christina, is a harpist of some note. I adore her music and try to tell people about it whenever I get the chance. She has a Youtube channel which you should be able to find here and you can buy her music from iTunes and the CDBaby website. I keep trying to get her to send some music to BlueBehemoth.com but she is a busy mum now :).

    You're reading LOTR? Hooray! It also sounds like you haven't seen the movies. Double hooray! The book is MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, your friend is lovely. I wish she was on BlueBehemoth as well, I love getting music from them. :)

      Look out for future reviews on LOTR...

      Blessings,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  5. Dear Schuyler,

    Thank you for joining my tag! I so enjoyed reading your answers too =D.

    If you are reading the LOTR books, that so good! I am reading them for the first time as well =D. The movies are really good though as well, and really close to the books (closer than the Narnia movies are to the books for example). They do have minor changes, but on the whole it is really close to the books and most of all, carries the spirit of Tolkien's books!

    In His love,
    ~Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!
      It wasn't until after the post was published that my sister pointed out I was supposed to only put three of my favorite classic and modern authors. :) Ooops! But, well, a bibliophile never minds putting a bonus.

      Blessings,
      Schuyler

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...