Friday, April 20, 2012

In Which Bibliophiles Again Forsake Literary Pursuits

Today, this particular bibliophile takes a break to play again. Kaleigh and Anna, from Facing The Waves, responded to my tag from a couple of weeks back and returned the compliment of tagging me again. :) And here are my answers to their questions, though I fear that I cannot pass the tag along this time.

So here, my friends, are 11 MORE random facts about me:

1. I am learning privately, instead of going to college.
2. I am currently reading three books at once.
3. I am not fond of Ents in any way, shape, or form. (Tolkien)
4. I am currently listening to A Bride Goes West, by Nannie T. Alderson, and read by Victoria Botkin. Check them out here.
5. I am currently experimenting with soaking flours, using the GNOWFGLINs e-course.
6. I just found out recently how fun making earrings can be...
7. I am currently reading through the book of Job in my daily bible reading.
8. I consider Friday to be 'library day'--and even if we don't get to the library, I always spend a little extra time with a book. :)
9. This week marked the third year anniversary of my playing the harp (and I forgot to mark the exact day for the third year in a row.)
10. Reading The Two Towers is not a good idea when one is supposed to keep track of time.
11. I realize that randomness is not in my make-up as much as I would like to think.

And here are the answers to Kaleigh and Anna's questions:

1. Do you like your Mac or PC? Why?
I have never used a Mac, except in the case of my brother's IPad, so I would have to like our PC. Why? Well, simply because my brother prefers PCs, and I'm a loyal kind of sister.

2. Do you like to listen to music when studying? If so, what kind?
Yes, I do. But I can't concentrate very well when I'm listening to music while studying, so I don't indulge often. Probably because I prefer music with singing, which makes multi-tasking difficult. As for the kind, well, I love Jane Austen movie soundtracks, Charlie Zahm's Celtic songs, and actually over all, I prefer listening to book dramatizations. :) Plus, you should never talk secrets when you see me with my headphones on, because often times I forget to play anything, so it just looks like I'm listening. (Weird, I know. My family was surprised when they heard this.) 

3. Do you play any instruments? If so, which ones?
I do play an instrument. The harp. :) Most of my resources I collect from Sylvia Woods' Harp Center, and I enjoy her beautiful collections of music. Also, the good thing about a lever harp is that you can often play piano music on the harp as well, so I have infinite options there.

4. Can you describe each of your siblings personality/character? (doesn't have to be a long answer ;))
I compare my brother to several speakers: Ken Ham, Kevin Swanson, (merely referring to personality) : namely, a persevering reformer who fights uncompromisingly for the truth. He's more introverted than extroverted, but when faced with a false doctrine or false teacher, he is on fire for the truth. :)
Carrie-Grace? Well, she's a bit like me--though not quite as heavily into books. She brings the special glitter to my and Collin's deep theological discussions... And she gives me hugs...and she draw anything I ask her to (very good drawings, I might add)...and she makes sure I don't read too much...and she loves hearing about the gospel, and has a strong desire to see others come to Jesus.... 

5. What do you like about our blog?
YOU. I love seeing you share your hearts with all of us; you've given me a lot of encouragement in the articles you've written to keep living for Jesus, keep holding his hand, and never give up amidst the trials of our faith. :)

Photo Credit
6. What's your favorite color and why do you like it?
I go for anything pink or purple. Pink, because it means 'femininity, compassion, tenderness' and I like to think that I sometimes express those things. :) Purple, because it means 'drama and sophistication' and who could like Dickens without having a private little love for dramatic incidents--or colors, as the case may be?

7. What book besides the Bible has changed you spiritually in some way?
Guns of Thunder, by Douglas Bond. It showed me Christ's true grace, that I have to surrender completely to him, that there is no possible way I can save myself from my sinfulness. Only Christ.

8. What books of the Bible do you tend to read from the most?
Select portions of John, Isaiah, and Romans, probably.

9. In what way have you grown the most spiritually in the past year?
Finishing highschool. Going against some cultural trends in post-secondary educations. Seeking my future direction from the Lord, and trusting it, even when people I met didn't believe in my vision. Learning to find my joy in the Lord alone. Trusting Him to hold me, and never let me go. Loving my family, and thanking God for their support. Preparing to disciple younger girls, and all the spiritual responsibility that entails.

10. Who is your favorite Bible character? Why?
David. I love his story of killing the giant, even when others didn't believe in him, against all odds. And I am so grateful even that God included the account of his sin and forgiveness in the Scripture, so that I can turn to the very psalm he wrote, and pray for forgiveness when I sin. His story gives me the hope that I can be a woman after God's own heart just as David was a man, even when I am imperfect and sinful.

11. What event/circumstance made your favorite Bible verse(s) "favorite"?

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. -2 Corinthians 10:4-5

This verse became one of my favorites when I was evaluating my reading material, and trying to figure out how to take the bad language captive to the glory of God. It also grew dearer to me in various spiritual struggles when I could remember that the weapons God gave me were able to demolish strongholds.

And there, my friends, you have even more of my deep dark secrets. :) I don't know about you, but I think that Tuesday would be a good day for a book review. (Not Tolkien. I'm not finished yet. I know....)

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Schuyler! I love reading this!
    #2. I just have to say that I do the exact same thing, sometimes. I have learned to listen to music without singing out loud (mostly), but I still sing in my head. And then when I turn the music off, I forget to pull my earphones off, too. :D
    #4. I loved your descriptions!!
    #5. Aw, thanks! :)
    #7. Ah, I love that book, too. I just finished reading it again. :D
    #10. Oh, wow. David has always been my favorite character also. His willingness to stand alone, his leadership abilities, his heart for God, and his repentance stood out to me several years ago. I guess I picked a favorite male and female Bible character; his wife, Abigail, is my favorite, also. :)

    Thanks for answering these, Schuyler!
    Love,
    Kaleigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaleigh! :) I love your tags. Very good questions, and lots of fun.

      Blessings,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. Dear Sister,
    I really enjoyed this post. Thank-you for adding me in it. I love your two favorite colors. They really fit you. I need to start a whole tag in the comments. :)
    Love, Sister
    P.S. Don't worry, I'm not going to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get a blog someday, Sister, I'll be sure to tag you so you can join in the fun. :) I can't wait to see the picture you're drawing for me. :)

    Love and cuddles,
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't like Ents, even a tiny bit?

    Awwww...

    (Not even when they start marching? Not even the events described in 'Flotsam and Jetsam'?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...

    Just a tiny bit. :)
    (Because of Flotsam and Jetsam.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lady B,
    I know all about the headphones. :) That was really funny when you told us.
    I like your favorite Bible character. He would probably be my favorite to. Ruth would probably be my favorite female character.
    Love, Sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for answering the tag, Schuyler. :) I really enjoyed reading your responses.
    #2: I'm kind of the same way. :D I love to listen to music when studying; but sometimes, I just have to turn it off. That was funny what you said about wearing headphones. :) I wear them, too; and sometimes after I finish listening to a song, I just continue studying. After a half hour, I realize that I'm not listening to anything and I still have the headphones on. *sigh* :D
    #3: I'd love to hear you play sometime. Maybe on a Sibling Skype call, Collin could play piano, you could play harp, and Carrie-Grace could sing with both of you. :) We would all enjoy that. :)
    #4: Great descriptions on your siblings. :)
    #5: Thank you so much.
    #6: I definitely agree that purple is an awesome color.
    #9: Yes, I'm sure it was hard to go ahead when others didn't agree/see your point of view. But I believe that you made a wise choice and I pray that God continues to bless you in what you are doing.

    Thank you again, Schuyler. God bless.
    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to play for you sometime, Anna! We should try it on a sibling call, or perhaps even in person one of these days. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Love,
    Schuyler

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...