Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Quiet: Hope for the Introvert

I would guess that most of my fellow bibliophiles are introverts.

Just a guess.

Welcome to my first attempt at Blogging for Books from Multnomah Publishers, with the review of the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain.

Tolkien is on Fridays. :)

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Susan Cain knows what she's talking about. A shy college student that managed to survive the very extroverted campus of Harvard Business School, she spent her first career years as a young lawyer scared to death of the talking necessary to her trade. Especially the dog-eat-dog vitriol throwing that often took place in such delicate negotiations. She's an introvert after all. Through many years of counseling clients, coming to treasure her personality, and interviewing well-known researchers in the field of introvert/extrovert psychology, she learned to come to grips with this inner trait, and to value it as a special part of her personality.

But she would be the first to admit, it's not easy living as an introvert in an extrovert world.

From elementary school on up through the career system, our culture has shifted from valuing character to valuing how loudly we can prove our  qualifications. Managers and teachers encourage group collaboration and interaction, organizing desks into pods of seven or more where students are forced to work together, and designing open office spaces with very little privacy. It's supposed to follow the natural system of pollination, where a good idea improves the more people you have discussing it. But for the introvert, this concept is scary, and often forces one of two decisions: either act like an extrovert, or content yourself with being a socially awkward student and co-worker.

Susan Cain set out to change this trend. She divides Quiet into four sections: firstly, the rise of the extroverted culture, how it has affected our daily lives, and its negative connotations for introverts; secondly, the introvert personality itself, its physical characteristics, and the different studies psychiatrists have done on the symptoms of introvert tendencies, with a short detour into famous introverts; thirdly, foreign cultures that value introversion, and how this affects their school grades and society; and fourthly, how to love and live with the introverts in your life (as an extrovert) or how to open up with and value those extroverts in your life (as an introvert).

One of my favorite parts about Quiet was learning about my own personality--oftentimes it's hard for introverts to define or even explain why they act the way they do: the way they think or argue, or emotionally process. It's not always easy being clear to yourself in your own mind, or dealing with the inborn weakness to 'lock up' and hide it all. Time and again, I would read a sentence and excitedly think "YES! That's exactly what I do. That's exactly why I do it." One of the topics I enjoyed reading about was how introverts and extroverts act differently in society. For example, Cain writes that oftentimes introverts recharge best in solitude, while extroverts recharge best with social networking. Introverts start a conversation with the deep personal issues and end with the small chit-chat, while extroverts do just the opposite. And she even covers the issue of introverts and the Internet--how they act differently online than they do in face-to-face contact, and why that is.
Another thing I enjoyed was the scientific discoveries in Quiet. Introverts are literally thinner-skinned then extroverts. Their amygdala-the 'fight or flight' sense-processes differently than extroverts. And there are many other scientific gems which I will leave you to discover for yourself.

I would critique her style on a few points, however. Scattered throughout her book are a few words with negative connotations in our society, often used as swear words, that should from a Biblical as well as professional standpoint have been omitted. Cain is not a Christian as far as I can tell; she is not opposed to 'evangelicals' but makes no claim to it herself. Therefore, some of her conclusions and solutions to the issues introverts face and why they face them are clearly man-centered. I would certainly recommend as a Bible-believing Christian taking the time to evaluate as you go along. Evolution pops up continuously in how she believes the amygdala and other brain processes developed in introverts. I would disagree with her statements, and I took the time to write the correct Creationist-centered points in the margins. I recommend Quiet for older teens and up, and for those who practice careful evaluation with every book they read. Quiet contains much valuable and helpful information, but mixed in with man-centered theology that is not in agreement with the Christian faith, and therefore, should be discarded.

As I took the time to carefully evaluate and refute, I was encouraged by Cain's refreshing encouragement for introverts. Quiet helped me to value my God-given personality and recognize its strengths that are often looked down upon or completely overlooked in America's extrovert culture. It also helped me identify weak tendencies in my daily relationships, that require careful thought and willingness to step outside of my comfort zone to overcome.

I was glad to spend time learning more about this subject, and I hope that other introverts find encouragement to practice the strengths of their personality (looking at it as a gift from God) by using some of the principles that Cain collected and set forth in her latest book.


More Links:

Here's the trailer for Quiet:



To find out more about Quiet and Susan Cain, Multnomah has provided these links for your reading pleasure:

Author Website - The Power of Introverts
Susan Cain on TED
More Info
Read Chapter One
Author Bio

And if you like, you can head on over to my review and rate how much you like it on the website. :)
I received this book for free from the Waterbrook Multnomah blogging for books program. I was not required to give a favorable review.

Blessings,
Lady Bibliopohile

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lady B,
    I'm neither an extrovert or an introvert. I'm an ambovert which is a cross between both. :) Excellent post! I rated your review.
    Love, Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sister Ambivert,
      That's right. :) On the test you took, you were equally divided between the two, which Cain said is called an ambivert. You prefer to break the boundaries of the normal scientific classification system. ;)

      Love and cuddles,
      Sister Introvert

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow. I think I need to find this book somewhere. I've never heard of it, but it sounds good! Thanks for posting about it!
    Love,
    Kaleigh
    PS Your sister's comments make me laugh. :D:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd enjoy it, Kaleigh. Introverts can use a little reassurance in their personality type. :)
      Yes, sisters are sweet, aren't they? ;) She's the glitter in my day.

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...