Tuesday, January 1, 2013

In Which My Lady Bibliophile Celebrates One Year of Existence

Photo Credit


Dear friends and fellow bibliophiles. One year ago, on the first Tuesday of the month, I launched this blog. The joy of watching those first views come in from friends and strangers, approving the first comment, (written by Junior B!) and discovering a whole new world of books to read has blessed me indescribably

It has been in inexpressible delight to make new friends, see your comments come through, and share a little of my own reading journey with you. Your fellowship, suggestions, and sometimes even differences of conviction, are invaluable. It is my desire not merely to be an authority on reading, so that I say "This is good" and "This is bad", but to equip you with principles to decide for yourself with every book that crosses your path. I desire this place to be a trusted haven, where, while you might not agree with everything, at least you can trust that the book reviews contain an objective criticism of things to enjoy and things to watch out for. Of course, it is my desire that every article and suggestion would grow more conformed to the principles that Christ has set forth in his Word. I trust that in this coming year you will find both enjoyment and encouragement in your love for reading from My Lady Bibliophile. My desire is to express my opinions graciously and speak the truth in love. I hope that each of you has felt that in book and movie reviews and articles, and if that has sometimes not been the case, I do apologize. I am learning how to communicate, and in the ups and downs, I thank you all for sticking with me. :)

You may notice some tweaking on the blog in coming weeks. It shall not be an instant process, so enjoy the expansion and please pardon me during the redecorating season. I welcome comments and suggestions on the new look to make it easy to read and navigate for everyone.

Thank-you so much for your fellowship. I treasure every comment, and look forward to another year of growing and reading together.

2012 Book List

1. A Peep Behind the Scenes, by O.F. Walton
2. Sir Percy Leads the Band, by Baroness Orczy
3. Titus, a Comrade of the Cross, by Florence Morse Kingsley
4. It's (Not That) Complicated, by Anna-Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin
5. I Will Repay, by Baroness Orczy
6. Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione, by Chuck Black (audio)
7. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, by Jim Weiss (audio)
8. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
9. Mam'zelle Guillotine, by Baroness Orczy
10. The Magic Pudding, by Norman Lindsay
11. Dead Man's Ransom, by Ellis Peters
12. The Pilgrim of Hate, by Ellis Peters
13. The Leper of St. Giles, by Ellis Peters
14. Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
15. Frozen in Time, by Michael Oard
16. The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien
17. The Two Towers, by J.R.R. Tolkien
18. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain
19. The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkien
20. The Company, by E.H. (not published)
21. Freckles, by Gene Stratton-Porter
22. A Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton-Porter
23. The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, Age 37 and 3/4, by Adrian Plass (not recommended)
24. The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, Age 45 and 3/4 (not recommended)
25. The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
26. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
27. Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen
28. The Home of Heroes, by E.H. (not published)
29. The Pearl, by John Stienbeck
30. You'll Never Know
31. Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words, by Rachel Coker
32. Will Our Generation Speak, by Grace Mally
33. Duncan's War, by Douglas Bond
34. The Chosen, by Chaim Potok
35. North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell
36. The 39 Steps, by John Buchan
37. Stranger and Stonewycke, by Michael Phillips
38. Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery, by Eric Metaxas
39. When Life and Beliefs Collide, by Carolyn Custis James
40. Real Church in a Social Network World, by Leonard Sweet
41. Stalking the Wild Asparagus, by Euell Gibbons
42. Bleak House, by Charles Dickens
43. Rare Earth, by Davis Bunn
44. The Fisherman's Lady, by George MacDonald
45. The Marquis' Secret, by George MacDonald
46. Glory, Duty, and the Gold Dome, by Nathaniel Darnell
47. Mystery of the Silver Coins, by Lois Walfrid Johnson
48. The Invisible Friend, by Lois Walfrid Johnson
49. Heart of Courage, by Lois Walfrid Johnson
50. King's Arrow, by Douglas Bond
51. Rebel's Keep, by Douglas Bond
52. The Raider's Promise, by Lois Walfrid Johnson
53. A Tale of Two Cities, by Douglas Bond
54. Robin Hood, by Paul Creswick
55. Gun' of Thunder, by Douglas Bond
56. The Lady of the Lake, by Sir Walter Scott
57. Make it Your Ambition, by John Notgrass
58. Guns of the Lion, by Douglas Bond
59. The Conviction to Lead, by Albert Mohler
60. All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot
61. Guns of Providence, by Douglas Bond



In Which I Take a Break From Blogging
Don't worry. It's only going to be Friday. For an entire year, come wind, come weather, come colds and out-of-town trips, My Lady Bibliophile has updated twice a week no matter the occasion. After finishing the first draft of a novel, and the Christmas holidays, I find myself quite sympathetic with Bilbo Baggins in The Fellowship of the Ring: "I feel like butter that's been scraped over too much bread." And so I must beg your indulgence while I take a week to go to Rivendell and listen to the songs of the elves.

Have a good week, friends and fellow bibliophiles. Regular posting shall continue, Lord willing. And on Tuesday I'll be back. And I'll still be around for comments and emails.

I promise not to leave anything as awful as the Dark Ring of Power with you while I'm away. ;)

Take the week to pick out a favorite article on here that you've always been intending to re-read, and I look forward to seeing you again this coming Tuesday.

It is a great joy to share this occasion with all of you! :)

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

8 comments:

  1. Dear Lady Bibliophile,
    Happy 2013!!!
    And yes, I waited until it was 2013 here before reading this post! Wow! 61 books!
    I wish you a wonderful year of reading delights and a lovely relaxation time this next week! I will look up some of the posts from early last year! (Oh dear, is 2012 really "last year" already???:P:D)
    New Year's Blessings!
    Kyla

    P.S. I think I may have commented even before Junior Bibliophile?!!!! :D Love you, CG! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Kyla. ;) I didn't even think that it would still be 2012 your time. :) I hope you enjoy some of the backlog!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary (and Happy New Year as well)! I have greatly enjoyed getting to know you through reading your blog and our conversations and whatnot. Keep up the good work! :)

    Krystina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you very much, Krystina! The enjoyment has been mutual, I do assure you. :) I hope you enjoy this next year just as much as the last.

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  3. Dear Lady B,
    Love your list! Happy Anniversary of Blogging! I'm so glad you included Viking Quest on your list! And of course I had fun reading The Scarlet Pimpernel this year! :D :D :D
    I really love the tabs and the purple. I just have one thought... It's a little hard to see when the post transitions into another. Maybe if the titles were bigger. ;)
    I hope you have a lovely break!
    Love, Sister

    @ Kyla-- Way to go for commenting so early!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D Happy New Year! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion on the post titles, Sister! I will see what I can do. ;) I enjoyed reading Viking Quest with you. :)

      Love and cuddles,
      Sister

      Delete
  4. Happy Blog-anniversary, Schuyler, and a Happy New Year too! I have so enjoyed reading through your blog since that first time you dropped over to my blog :). It is has been a blessing to have known you via the internet, dear sister, and your blog has been very thought-provoking and helpful to me as well in sparking my interest for some books and making me aware of others that might not be so good =D. Often, I came out of reading a review for your books, or a topic about a certain issue in books (magic, fantasy, language etc...) with new-insight and started raising questions I had not thought of before... so thank you so much!

    WOW, what a huge reading list for 2012 you've gone through! I recognize some titles, (Chuck Black's book, Tolkien of course, Eric Mataxas, and Dickens too), though a lot are still unfamiliar to me. I've often heard of Douglas Bond's books and should like to try them out sometime.

    Ah, take a well-deserved 'little holiday' from blogging, dear; I understand! But don't tarry too long with the elves, or else I'll start pining for you *sniff sniff*.

    God bless you!
    Love Joy
    P.S. I hope to write a little post of my 2012 readings soon, so keep a lookout for it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've enjoyed the blog, Joy! :) I do try to make the reviews both though-provoking and encouraging, and I am excited about the things I have lined up for this month, as well as the rest of the year.

      Oh, I think you would love the Douglas Bond books! Great stories about the Scottish Covenanters, both Godly examples and exciting tales. :)

      I shall not tarry too long. ;) Five days, and then I'm back. :)

      Love,
      Schuyler

      P.S. I'm very much looking forward to your list as well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...