Tuesday, May 14, 2013

When Bibliophiles Play (Part Two)

Welcome back, friends and fellow bibliophiles, to part two in our series on "When Bibliophiles Play"--a closer look at what I'm doing when I'm not reading. :) It was fun to chat with you all in the comments last time, and I had a great time meeting up with some of you at the INCH convention. I think we had a ground-breaking session on "Bibliophiles to the Glory of God"--I've never seen that done before, and I hope it sets a trend! We definitely need more teaching on this subject. My only problem was that I had to cut down my talk to 55 minutes. :) That's a tough one for a book lover, and I would have loved to go into more detail. But it was good practice to give a basic overview, and I enjoyed sharing it with those of you who were able to be there.

Today I wanted to give you a little peek into what I do on a daily/weekly/yearly basis. Being a somewhat systematic person I have various things I do every day, and I much prefer to get one task completely out of the way before moving on to the next one, rather than doing little bits of each task every day. When I work on something all at once, I'm able to put the concentrated effort into it that I need. So each day of the week I focus on something specific.

Every Day:
My clock goes off at 6:45, and I never trust myself to hit the snooze button. I 've never tried the walk across the room system; I just get up and get going. After starting with prayer, I read my Bible within about 15 minutes of getting up. It's the most important way to start my day, and though I slip up a few times, I generally don't turn on my computer or check email until those two things are done. I've never done prayer journals or writing down verses that impact me, though I like the idea. I merely read. Though I do have a prayer system: I use the ACTS acronym that Joel Beeke mentioned once, as it's very helpful to keep me focused. ACTS stands for Adoration (praising God for who He is) Confession, Thanksgiving (thanking God for what he has done) and Supplication. I read about 4 to 5 chapters in the Bible every morning, as I read through the Bible once every year, and I'm about half-way through my 12th year of doing that. I used to read a little in different books, but my organization streak won out, and now I'm reading Genesis to Revelation. This chart is a great one, and I highly recommend it.
Then I get to see what's in my Gmail box, check social networking, and shape up what needs to be done for the day. By 8:00 I'm ready for the day, and have generally started a blog post, making yogurt, or responding to emails, as well as making breakfast for whoever happens to be up.
Morning is either studying time or general household work. From 8:45 to about 11:00 I do a huge number of things that vary from day to day, whether it be catching up on correspondence, making cookies, cleaning the house, or preparing for Junior B.'s geography, as well as studying for the things that I have coming up. Also working on my GNOWFGLINS ecourse, which I am eagerly anticipating getting back to after a concentrated time getting ready for our homeschool convention. I have a morning playlist on Spotify that I use to get me started when I happen to be working on the computer.
After lunch we always have a literary half-hour, where we take turns picking books to read aloud. Then I work from 2:00-4:00 on editing my novel-in-progress and doing research. That generally sees me with about 20 tabs open on Internet Explorer (the bane of my existence, but Firefox isn't much better.) I have a sort of afternoon playlist, I suppose, though not a formal one. After supper I'm generally either attending a Bible Study or studying again (with my Celtic playlist! That's always the evening one.)

And after I turn the light out to go to sleep, I always grope around for the pen and notebook to write down the inspiration that just has to come at 11:00 at night.

Every Week

Monday
Every Monday I exercise, edit about 2,000 words, and respond to any blog comments that I wasn't able to get in before Sunday. Mondays are also my days to study for Bright Lights right now, which generally takes me about 2-3 hours to get the lesson ready, and then I pick songs and organize the activity as well.
Tuesday
Tuesdays are blog post day! Right after breakfast I work on that until I hit the Publish button. ;) Which sometimes means writing a straightforward book review, and sometimes means researching an article. This is also another heavy editing day, when I try to reach another 2,000 words. 2,000 words means all that and the research necessary to reach that goal, so sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow, depending on what I need to look up. I tell you, writing is all about the loopholes to make the plot credible.
Wednesday
Wednesday is another exercise day, and my third and final editing day of the week, where I pull out another 2,000 words and the accompanying research. Then I send of the chapter to my first round of beta readers and print it out for Junior B. I also make supper every Wednesday, and either attend ICBF (which alternates Wednesdays and Thursdays) or another Bible study. In the summertime I generally make time to weed the garden on Mondays or Wednesdays.
Thursday
On the weeks when I don't have Bright Lights I attend ICBF in the evenings and spend the day getting ready for Friday's blog post, so I'll have a free morning on Friday. On the days when I do have Bright Lights, I spend the day getting ready the various things for that: we have tea in real teacups, thanks to a collection one of my aunts provided me with, and I also get the house ready, which keeps us accountable in keeping everything tidy. :)
Friday
On Fridays I post and/or write the blog post, and have great fun discussing it with all of you. :) I also exercise on the bike and resistance bands, and Junior B. and I do geography together. Which may include going into fits of laughter over our propensity to sing Scottish songs when we're studying Europe. And often includes planning meals with dishes like Rumbledethump and trying to shock our family members with the odd names. Every Friday I make supper as well, and sometimes try to get a little editing done in the evening if I am able. And every other Friday I have a long phone chat with long-distance friends.
Saturday
Saturday is another day of work, depending on what I have left-over from the week. This is also the day where I help my family with our little entrepreneurial adventure, which I'll be announcing soon here on the blog. :) We're pretty excited about it, and we hope you will be to!
Sunday
Sunday is strictly a day of rest and worship. I take off blogging and most social networking, though I do some blog hopping and attend to personal correspondence in the afternoons and evenings. I also gobble down as many pages as I possibly can in the books I'm reading, as this is pretty much the only time I read at this stage of my life, unless I have tasks finished early before I go to bed, or we're travelling somewhere. (As I have the talent of being able to read in the car.)

Not included in this list are personal and ministry correspondence, and all those little and big projects which come up on a weekly basis--which go through so fast that sometimes I can't remember what they are.  :)

This Year
One of my big projects involved speaking at the MI homeschool convention, which just happened. Coming up I'm planning an evening tea to celebrate my Bright Lights group's one year anniversary of meeting, and that should be great fun. In August I'll be helping out with the Bright Lights conferences coming to Michigan, which, if you live in Michigan, I highly recommend attending if at all possible. :) And in the fall, I'm contemplating trying out a webinar class in literature and reading discernment, which I will dedicate a whole post to when I have further plans cemented. Also, my goal is to finish two passes through my novel this year, which is ambitious but do-able I think.

So there you have it! That's a little and abbreviated peek into what I do in a weekly basis, and here for your viewing pleasure are pictures of my writing nook, manuscript, and a portion of my book collection:

 
My current reading stack. The Silmarillion, which I got at a book sale last summer; A Lost Pearle, which my father treated me to at the INCH convention. (!) and The Complete Sherlock Holmes, which is 1,200 pages long.
 
 
My favorite shelf of books. And my only full shelf of books. :) The rest are scattered hither and yon; there is a system of sorts, though I would be the only one who can find anything.
 
 
 
This is my precious manuscript. I wrote all 475 pages by hand, as I didn't have a computer available at the time. And oh, my, is this a treasured stack of paper.
 
 
Inside this little notebook are all the plans, plots, and climaxes for my manuscript. Needless to say, no one has ever read it.
 
 
And Junior B. would dearly love to peek behind these pages, as the fate of her favorite character appears in my plans for the sequel to the above manuscript.
 
This is Homeschool Diaries, written by an angel and somehow left in my notebook. ;) You'd be most surprised what guardian angels like to remember about their earthly charges. A satire in the works. (And don't try to save the picture to read the page. Ahem.)
 

This is where the Great American Novel and most of my blog posts are written. Who'd a thunk? My best office, and under the bed storage makes great desk drawers.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by, and if you have anything you'd like to see in our last series on "When Bibliophiles Play", now is the time to submit them in the comments. :) Junior Bibliophile is absolutely determined to take a video of me, which, if she can persuade me, will appear in the 3rd installment.

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

10 comments:

  1. Of course, I'll take a video of you! ;) I believe it will be most appreciated and highly wished for on this blog...
    A Lost Pearle is intriguing me! I hope you like the ending!
    And I think you should share the plot of my favorite character. :P Remember who?
    Can't wait for Friday's post!
    Love,
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. I give in. :P We can have a video.

      I hope I like the ending too! But I probably won't find out till at least the weekend.

      No plot sharing. :P That's not even the main plot, so it would be a huge spoiler. And besides, I couldn't let my beta readers see. ;)

      Thanks for taking the movie clips last night!

      Love and cuddles,
      Sister

      Delete
  2. Hello Lady B.
    Jr. B isn't the only one who'd like a peek behind those pages, as well as the little notebook ;). Have I read about B.D's vacation being over, or is that in a future chapter? (It's not that hard to read the page)
    Also, keep reading the Silmarillion, It's best to read it again once you've got a better grip on all the characters.
    It was great to see you at INCH.
    Keep writing and keep reading!
    S.H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I'm sure. People have picked up the notebook before, but never with good success. :)
      Hmmm. I would wager that you somehow ZOOMED IN to see that page. Simply atrocious, and perhaps I should refrain from sending this week's chapter. :) In answer to your question, there are two conceivable options. Either yes, you have seen it, or no, you haven't. I'm afraid I can't enlighten you further at this time. ;)

      I will indeed! I am most looking forward to conquering Sil, and I think it will definitely need a second read so I can catch all the main characters. Right now I'm scratching my head and thinking "So which elf-troop was that again?" :)

      Have a fantastic day!

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  3. I loved this post, too, Schuyler.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your family's "entrepreneurial adventure". :D
    I recognize several books on your bookshelf, and I do believe you have the exact same cross-stitch picture of Jeremiah 29:11 as I do. Hmmm... ;) Mine is also sitting on one of my bookshelves. :D
    I look forward to reading all your books someday. :D Keep up the hard work!
    ~Kaleigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad. :D I'm having fun writing these and thinking up interesting bits to put in. And I can't wait to share what our family's been up to, as soon as we have it launched.

      I do believe we have the same cross-stitch. ;) Perhaps we could apply to the same person to find out. :D My shelf is the safest place for it, and looks quite nice next to my collector's books I think. (Not all of them are collector's, but this shelf has all the books that require Special Attention.)

      Can't wait to send you Homeschool Diaries when it's finished. ;) But don't hold your breath, as it has a little ways to go yet. :)

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  4. Oh yes! PLEASE do a video!!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. :D All right, you have persuaded me. :D Carrie-Grace and I shot it last night, so now I'm working on the editing. :)

      Great to see you this weekend. <3

      Delete
  5. Ha! I'm impressed by your schedule--and now feel guilty about taking up your time with The Thing You Wot Of.

    Oo! The Sil! I'm so glad your enjoying it.

    Will you be putting up the text of your speech at the conference here, d'you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. :D I rather like my system thus far, though it's shifted a bit from the neat little time squares that I had at the beginning of graduating from highschool. You should see my prim and proper schedule sheets that I made then.

      Oh, but don't feel guilty! I wouldn't miss it for a kingdom, it really does give me something nice and relaxing to work on/think about. :)

      The Silmarillion is staggeringly beautiful. I've stopped in awe on more than one occasion thus far. Having a hard time with the map and the elf troops, but I shall get the hang of it. I'm not as good the first time with names you know. ;)

      I don't think I'll be putting up the text in public, but I can arrange something in private! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...