Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Book Tag Week (Part One)

Via Pinterest
I realized that I have posted a lot of deep thinking articles lately here on the blog, I thought it might be fun to take a break and do a Book Tag week, answering some fun questions about reading habits, likes and dislikes. Though I haven't been tagged personally, I did find two very nice tags through Google search. Note that I'm not familiar with the site they came from, so can't give it my personal recommendation, but these tags are excellent and I wanted to source them!  
So without further ado, let's have some fun with a Book Tag Week here on My Lady Bibliophile. :)
 
Q1. What one book from your collection would you keep if all the rest had to be thrown away?
This was supposed to be a fun tag. A relaxing tag. And now not only am I in torment at the thought of throwing away my book collection, but the thought of keeping only one is pure agony.
 
Let's see. I would not keep any book that was part of a series. Then I would always be tormented that I couldn't read the rest of it.
 
Oh, I give up. I think I would throw away all of them, and just be sad. Or perhaps--I know. I would keep the print-out of the book I'm writing. That's it. :)

Q2. What one book would you never go back and re-read ever again?
Quite a few, actually. I'm probably fated to read L.M. Montgomery's Emily series again before my life is over, though I really, really don't want to. It's one of those books that has a tiny tug, even though you know it will just exhaust you to read it. The Brethren, by H. Rider Haggard is held in loving memory, but I don't know if I could ever go back and re-read it. Not that I didn't like it--but once was enough.
 
I have no intentions to read Dorothy Sayers again, though I do understand others who appreciate her literature. It didn't do good things for me, so I had to let it go. But that's my reading journey, and certainly not everyone's. Also, I doubt I'll read Agatha Christie again. I've lived quite a happy life without her for so many years that my original hiatus will probably extend indefinitely.
 
But never is a long word, and the Lord has different seasons for reading. If He ever gives me a good reason to pick them up again, then I'll gladly do so. Until then, I'll leave them on the shelf.
 
Q3. Do you like to have something to munch or sip whilst you read?
I had a similar question on a writing tag not too long ago. Ideally I don't like anything to eat or drink while I'm reading. It's not because I have the noble commitment not to ruin any books I come in contact with. Rather, it's because I like being absorbed in the story without any distractions. However, I'm starting to shift on this point from sheer necessity, and sometimes I'll have a mug of H2O with me (though the mug, I might add, is always my Spilled Ink mug from our library's winter reading program.) Also, once in a blue moon I have a book open on the table when I'm eating breakfast alone.
 
The spoon and my mouth do not always make contact. But at least the story flow remains uninterrupted. ;)

Q4. When did your love of books start and what was one of the first books you ever read?
When I started to read, perhaps? That was a very long time ago, and very hazy in my memory. However, I remember getting lots of books at the library from a very young age, and Fridays are always my favorite day of the week because we walked to our local library almost every Friday for a few years. It's a strong enough memory to still make Friday my Happy Day.
 
My parents might have a better memory of the first book I read. I can't go back that far, I'm afraid. So I'll fast forward the question a few years. One of the series I loved most as a child was the Little House in Brookfield series, based on the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother, Caroline. The way she always put butter on her pancakes and then tried to eat them before the syrup ran down the sides gave a remarkably cozy impression,.

Q5. Very romantic or full of action?
Not very romantic. I always feel rather guilty when a book is terribly romantic, and I don't approve of a lot of touchy-feely romance either (which is why I said farewell Davis Bunn's A Book of Hours, even though I loved the story premise).
 
Ideally I would choose a story full of action, not just there for the action's sake, but to show that regular people can overcome huge obstacles, because we have a Lord beyond our own abilities.
 
Ideally, I like a book that combines both action and love interest in a very purposeful way.

Q6. Cliffhanger or resolved ending?
My favorite resolutions leave the story a little open-ended--with room for imagination, and to think about what the future of the characters would be like. I enjoy books that lay out what happens to the characters, but most times I like there to be a little bit of mysterious ambiguity.
 
I don't mind cliffhangers if the book is very old and its sequel has been published for years. If they're modern-day books, I'm very leery of them. Douglas Bond's Guns of the Lion is the perfect example of a modern-day book with a cliffhanger ending. The book was simply splendid, and the cliffhanger perfect, but I didn't like the  offhand way he followed through on it in the sequel. So it's not the cliffhanger I have the problem with, as long as it's followed through on.
 
All in all, I prefer books with semi-resolved endings.

Q7. Big books or small books?
Big books, definitely. I do most certainly understand that big books can seem overwhelming, and when there isn't as much time to read, the question arises whether you want to spend all your reading time on a few big books or several small ones. But I find that big books develop the characters so beautifully, and I like the way you get to live with the characters, and they're all family by the time you're finished. Big books contain a lot of artistry, much thought about the elements included, and a wider range of characters.
 
Big books enrich. And I like enrichment. But let me not discount the small ones, for some of my favorites are small books, too, that contain just as much craft and artistry as my doorstoppers.

Q8. Only one genre or a mixture?
I like a select mixture. My favorite genre is probably historical fiction, otherwise known as 'classics', and that's what I read the most from. But I also enjoy a good biography, nonfiction about many different subjects, and the occasional modern-day fiction or fantasy.

Q9. Past, present or future books?
Past. British lit girl all the way. Still have yet to find a future book that I think has a biblical premise, but my mind is open.

Q10. Stand alone or series?
 
I love series.
 
Let me amend that. I love the first and third books of almost every series I read. Very rarely do I like the second book in a series. This is due to the prevailing notion on the part of authors that a second book must contain the newly married couple fighting through the entire thing, or a best friend turning evil, or somebody you've always loved dying. Second books seem doomed to angst and conflict. I have no idea why. First books are always great fun and quite adventurous, and third books are grand and noble, but sometimes second books don't carry on the theme quite as well.
 
The only second book I loved in a trilogy, of course, was The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien. And even then, the Ents were a bit slow at times.


Here we have Tag One for this Tag Week. You're welcome to join in on the questions in the comments, or of course, on your own blog!

Have a great week, and may it have a lot of good books in store for you. :)

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

1 comment:

  1. Very fun!! I wonder what the one book would be that I wouldn't throw away. Because there's a problem: if I'd be bored with it from paging through it a dozen times. Though big books don't have that issue as much. :)
    Big books, mixed genre, semi-resolved endings- I think you're rubbing off on me! ;)
    Looking forward to Friday's post! :D
    Love,
    Sister

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...