Tuesday, July 8, 2014

2014 4th of July Booksale +Christian Audio Resource

On Friday, we attended the annual 4th of July book sale near us. Two hours of blissful meandering through tables and tables of books, and we all came away with quite the stack. It's a pleasure to attend, and if ever one of my readers visited me during July 4th festivities, we would definitely hit this together. :)

So without further ado, here is the vlog we shot, with titles listed below:



1. Robert Louis Stevenson Collection--Kidnapped, Treasure Island, Master of Ballantrae, Weir of Hermiston, The Black Arrow
2. Courageous novelization, by Randy Alcorn (I think this is one of few times that I might say the movie is better than the book!)
3. Old Curiosity Shop/The Mystery of Edwin Drood, by Charles Dickens
4. Shadows Over Stonewycke, by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella (Stonewycke Legacy #2)
5. Travail and Triumph, by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella (The Russians, #3)
6. The Two Towers, by J.R.R. Tolkien
7.The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis
8. Raven in the Foregate, by Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael)
9. A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs, by Ellis Peters (Inspector George Felse--Haven't read any of him yet, so I'm inclined to view him with caution.)
10. Beowulf
11. The Tale of Troy, by Roger Lancelyn Green
12. Freckles, by Gene Stratton-Porter

_______________________________________________________________

Since the 4th of July vlog is a short post, I wanted to combine it with another resource that I've found enjoyable, and think my readers would as well. I'm not sure whether this is available internationally or just in the US, but Christian Audio has a lot of audiobooks available for $5, and several excellent sales throughout the year. Books like Kevin Deyoung's Crazy Busy and The Hole in Our Holiness, Eric Metaxas' Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy; complete Bibles, classics of the Christian faith, and popular Christian fiction are all available. Best of all, if you sign up for their newsletter you can download their featured audiobook of the month for free. This month's audiobook is The Lion of Babylon by T. Davis Bunn. I have read it and highly recommend it as a good Christian suspense novel with an intriguing modern setting.

So check out this website, and enjoy some great titles! I don't get a commission for your purchases, but I hope you find it a worthwhile resource.

Have a great week, fellow bibliophiles, and happy reading! I'll be back on Friday with a very special writing tag. :)

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

6 comments:

  1. This was fun to go to! :D I picked up seven books this year, which is more than I normally do. Well, eight books if you count "Freckles." ;) I'm always in shock at the amount of books you're able to find...How do you do it? ;) :)
    I'd suggest a very special writing tag for Friday's post. :D

    Love,
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! You found a lot of good books this year. :) Hehe, I go not merely for pleasure, my dear, and generally put a pretty serious emphasis on finding lots of books. And the Lord has blessed abundantly so far!

      Tag it is!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. I am interested in Roger Lancelyn Green's The Tale of Troy. You'll have to let me know how it is! I have read a number of different retellings of Homer; I enjoy Padraic Colum's The Children's Homer and Rosemary Sutcliff's Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus.

    I couldn't tell by the cover which version of Beowulf you had. Who translated it, and is it prose or poetry?

    Looks like you had a fantastic time!

    ~The Philologist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall let you know how Green's book turns out. :) Beowulf is the Penguin Classics edition, translated by Michael Alexander, and it is poetry. As soon as I opened the list of names index I saw a name from Lord of the Rings!

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  3. Wow! You found a nice collection. I enjoyed watching your video. :D I signed up for Christian Audio a while back now, and I think I've caught all their free resources so far. Haven't watched or read any yet, though. :P Looking forward to Friday's post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* I haven't listened to any of them yet, either. :wasntme: But they're pretty neat.

      So glad you enjoyed the video, and I, too, am looking forward to Friday's post. :)

      Love,
      Schuyler <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...