Friday, November 21, 2014

Tall Tales: Comfort With Sin Equals Maturity


"You should only read this book if you're mature enough to handle it."

This phrase is circulating around the blogosphere lately, a good phrase in itself and very true, that I have been pondering this last week. While the phrase is generally used to give a heads-up to people about explicit content in a story, I think it can be interpreted wrongly to mean that a reader is immature for not being able to handle a book.

If one sweeps sex, violence and language under the rug of 'maturity', that immediately pressures well brought up girls to face the fact that they want to be mature, and they also don't want to excuse sin. What are they to do? Some people are less sensitive to language, for instance. Others are not

In the desperation to be mature, aggressive readers can take on an attitude of "I can hold my liquor with the best of them," while other readers feel shame that they throw up when they drink it. Thus, the thought itself deserves some definition.

Do different levels of sensitivity mean different levels of maturity?

It depends.

Some Books Are For Older Readers 
People would be well served to use 'older readers' phraseology instead of 'mature reader'. You can have a mature 12yo who isn't ready to handle Russian literature, for instance, or a mature 40yo that takes no interest in Russian literature. Maturity is somewhat individual. There are 12yos who can read Russian lit and handle it fine. The ability of one and the inability of the other does not define their maturity.

However, the appropriate time to allow them to handle certain themes defines their capability. There are pleasures and concepts in life that are better able to be handled after the frontal, emotional lobe has completely developed, so they can be handled properly and biblically. Thus, we have the phrase around our house "this is an older book", meaning it's good, but can do damage if read too soon.

Some Readers Are Immature
When I was younger, some things I called sin that were not. It was like in Screwtape where he's talking about the young Christian fiancee:
It is an unobtrusive little vice which she shares with nearly all women who have grown up in an intelligent circle united by clearly defined belief; and it consists in a quite untroubled assumption that the outsiders who do not share this belief are really too stupid and ridiculous. ~The Screwtape Letters, by CS Lewis, chapter 24 
There is a kind of self-righteous immaturity that can be extremely restrictive when it comes to reading. The idea that all characters must act with the same moral lifestyle as the reader, or they are in sin is unwise. (I.e., "Our family doesn't drink wine, so all characters who drink wine are in sin.") Also unwise is forcing everything to be neat and tidy and perfect and refusing to allow the book to combat real issues, conflicts, and sinfulness.

On the flip side, it is immature to have no boundaries whatsoever. Readers who don't think through the moral implications of the character's sin, who accept the author's words merely because they are a Christian, or who excuse wrongdoing because of a well-handled plot are relying on others to make judgments for them, and taking a shallow view of dominion-minded reading.

Most serious Christians grow out of both of these stages, and time is the best overcomer for this matter. Both are certainly very forgivable and natural mistakes that we all fall into at some point in our lives.

Some Mature Readers Choose to Abstain 

Here is the crux of the matter.

While it is immature to deny sin, and immature to avoid sin, two equally mature readers may come to an appropriate difference as to how much sin they will choose to allow.

Now as to what's sin, and what's not--that's where the heart of the debate lies. But don't feel forced to cave in just because your standards are a little tighter than others. Conscience is individual. It is not to be violated for the sake of majority consensus, even if you find yourself treading a narrower path than everyone else.

The Recabites in Jeremiah were not immature for honoring their father and choosing to abstain from wine--even though other mature believers drank it. Readers are not immature for choosing to honor parents, avoid something that causes them special temptation, or abstain from something that they feel they are not ready to handle--whether other Christian readers are accepting it or not.

It would be immature to judge the level of their faith for choosing to participate; but it would also be immature to force yourself to accept the same things without flinching just because you desperately want to be considered one of the grown-ups. People will respect you for differing with them, even if  your standards are narrower than theirs.

The mark of maturity means that other people may believe differently than you, but you do not allow that to shake you when you choose not to participate. Allow them to participate, because they have the freedom before God to do that. Don't force yourself to join the party if that violates your conscience.

The mark of maturity, as a friend once told me, means that whatever you can read to the glory and praise of God, with thanksgiving, you do, and not one whit further--no matter if the person sitting next to you is thanking God for it.

You do not need to be ashamed of that.

Thus, I think it's good to clarify.

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

10 comments:

  1. Wow. That was good. That's a tough issue I haven't seen many people define, and I think you did a great job sorting out both sides. It is sometimes difficult to stay right on the line of truth as your conscience dictates, because each person is going to be guided a little differently depending on their capability or maturity. But that shouldn't stop us from doing and following what God leads us to do.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would segue beautifully into the article you asked me to post on about Christian Liberty. While I'll probably take a wee break from deep subjects, that's definitely on my list!

      Glad it was clear and helpful! :)

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  2. Excellent post, Schuyler! I have to say, as someone who's used that "recommended, but only to mature readers" line quite often, it's never entered my brain that I might be taken to be implying immaturity on the part of those whose consciences might continue to object. Naturally, there are books that I don't read because I don't want to assault my conscience or tempt myself, either. And there are a couple of authors I read at the limits of my own endurance that I simply don't give "official" recommendations to because I don't know a lot of people who would, or could, enjoy them properly.

    I often recall something that Douglas Wilson said around the time he was reading and reviewing TWILIGHT (if you have not read Wilson's TWILIGHT posts, available at credenda.org and in ebook form as BUNDLING WITH VAMPIRES, I highly recommend them!) which is that it can be appropriate to read something for discernment but, and here is the rub, the important thing is spotting when discernment has been achieved so that one can stop!

    (He also read FIFTY SHADES OF GREY and wrote a fantastic review for, and I am not kidding, Huffington Post. It's in the BWV ebook.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think this is a key area to define, especially so girls who are mature, but sensitive to the leading of other mature Christians, don't feel pressured to read further than they think is right.

      I loved Douglas Wilson's comment about reading for discernment only until it has been achieved. Wise limits, and everyone has to know their own.

      Wow. He read Fifty Shades of Grey?! Not even the WORLD reviewer could get through that one, and they read a lot for discernment. ;D

      Delete
  3. You know, I just have to stop and tell you that your blog is officially one of my favorites now. You have amazing articles for everything, and you write clearly enough for me to understand. Thank you for all that you are sharing.
    Oh, and I'm curious, have you read Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup? I enjoyed it when I read it last spring, and I'm interested in seeing your thoughts about it. =)

    ~Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, thank-you so much for your sweet words. You can't imagine how encouraging they have been to me, and I trust the Lord will use this for a helpful resource for you and all the others who come by! Thank-you so much for commenting and telling me how you are enjoying it.

      I have not read "Twelve Years A Slave", but I love book recommendations, and will add it to my 2015 possibles list. :D

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this post, Schuyler! I totally agree :). I am enjoying those posts with the tough topics your handling - they are really helpful inspirariinal!

    But I must dash now - my Robinson Crusoe book, and an essay I have to write for it for school awaits!

    Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are finding it clear and helpful!

      Enjoy Robinson Crusoe! When you are done I have a question about the ending, but I shall bide my time and not spoil it for you. :D

      Love to you, too!
      Schuyler

      Delete
  5. Goodness! I have to get commenting! :D

    You brought up so many excellent points in this post. It reminded me of the verses in Romans 14: Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.
    Ultimately, we will have to give an account to God for our conscience, and the rest won't matter.

    I like your new feature under the blog post now! :D

    Frontal emotional lobes? O.o

    Love,
    Carrie-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that verse you quoted; it's a good one, and definitely applicable to this topic.

      Rofl. Frontal emotional lobes. Everybody has 'em, and they fully develop around the age of 20-22. They're the part of the brain that is able to use self-control, and help keep things in perspective. At least, that's what I've picked up in my researches.

      I'm glad you like the new feature! Changes are in the air...

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...