Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Lord of the Rings Tag

The Ringbearers, copyright Jenny Dolfen
http://goldseven.wordpress.com/galleries/tolkien/

Today feels like a Tolkien sort of day. :) I have a 30 day LOTR challenge here, which I am going to combine into one blog post. Unfortunately I don't know who the original questions belong to to give credit, but I have had it on my Pinterest board for a long time.

Here goes!

1. How did you discover LOTR? Tell us about it. 
I don't remember exactly how it came to my attention, but I asked my dad if he minded me reading the books, and after he granted permission, I joyfully embarked on the most wonderful literary adventure I have ever had.
2. Your favorite movie? And book?
Favorite movie is definitely The Fellowship of the Ring. I love the first film, the scenery, the characters--it carries on the enchanting joy I felt after dipping into the book for the first time. As for books, I am torn between them, but will share the glory and say Return of the King.
3. Is there any of the film adaptations that have made you angry because they've ignored important parts of the book?
Hum. Hum. He. Ha ha HA.
4. Who is your least and your most favorite female character and why? 
Favorite would be Eowyn, because of the beautiful way Tolkien handled femininity, the lie of Eve, and her finding her place in working dominion for her people. Least favorite would be Goldberry. I don't dislike her at all, it's just she didn't capture my interest.
5. Who is your least and your most favorite male character and why? 
Least favorite would be Wormtongue because of his poisonous deceits. Favorite would be Gandalf or Samwise--for their wisdom, perseverance, and Sam's simple-hearted friendship.
6. Where would you like to live in Middle Earth? 
I would be tempted to live in the Shire. I like quiet hobbit holes where the world is bright and green, and nothing adventurous ever happens. But in the end I like a bit of refinement (especially in table manners) and I would miss stories that stir the soul and songs and laughter and glorious nobility. I think I would choose Elrond's place--the elves at Rivendell.
7. Favorite poetry?
From LOTR? Definitely the song that Sam sings at the tower of Cirith Ungol. "I will not say the day is done, or bid the stars farewell."
8. What is your favorite people (hobbits, orcs, elves, ents, men, dwarves, etc.)? 
Hobbits. Love them. Need a gardener like Samwise.
9. Faovrite song from the LOTR OST? 
I've listened to May it Be pretty often. :)
10. Lothlorien or Rivendell? 
Rivendell. As aforementioned. They seem further from danger, and more in touch with the concerns of Middle Earth.
11. What character would you say you are most like? And what character do you wish you were most like? 
I've taken quizzes and gotten Galadriel, but in my worst moments I'd probably be like the fifth hobbit who stayed behind. :P Up to a point I could be a combination Sam and Frodo. I don't know--any ideas? In the Hobbit quiz I was Balin and nearly Thorin--counselor type and slow to rouse, but with a deep anger against injustice when once I am quickened to it. I think I would gladly be like Galadriel. Able to resist evil, and comfort those who carried heavier burdens than I.
12. First, Second, Third Era or (even) fourth era, and why? 
First. To see the Valar and the creation of Middle Earth would be spectacular. There's so much more to learn about the first, and I feel like I would have to see it to fully grasp and understand what's going on.
13. Least favorite movie? And book? 
Movie definitely The Two Towers (yes, a lot of it is still awesome). And book--I suppose in all due fairness I should force myself to answer this.

But I can't.

Aragorn, copyright Jenny Dolfen
http://goldseven.wordpress.com/galleries/tolkien/
14. Team Mordor or Team "all free peoples or Middle Earth"?
As a Christian, I go for all free peoples of Middle Earth. There is no other answer.
15. Who would be your best friends at Middle Earth? (Three only). 
Three! Arwen, the Gaffer, and Legolas. If they would have me.
16. Favorite hobbit? 
The Gaffer!
17. Are you excited about "The Hobbit" movie or scared it won't do the book justice? 
I am over the moon for the final Hobbit movie. It gives promise of fulfilling great expectations, and I think Peter Jackson, as this is the last Middle Earth film we shall see for some time, will do the book 85-90% justice. It's going to be exciting! I have the waterproof mascara all ready for it.
18. Ever dressed up as one of LOTR characters? Tell us about it. 
Never. Unfortunately. I should throw a LOTR party someday.
19. Do you prefer the books or films? 
I prefer the books for their richness, strong worldview, beauty, and artistry. I prefer the movies for a quick LOTR fix when I'm tired or lonely for Middle Earth.
20. If you had to meet one member of the cast, who would it be? 
I'm not sure I really want to meet any of them...probably Elijah Wood or Sir Ian Holm.
21. Out of all the characters that died, if you could bring one back, who would it be? 
Not going to answer this question. It's too dangerous to put spoilers out in the open like that.
22. Scariest place? 
Paths of the Dead. I hate Shelob, yes, and Moria was bad, but Paths of the Dead would be horrific.
23. Any part of the books/movies that makes you cry? 
I always cry at the end of the book or the movie. Tear up like a baby. I cry over some bits with Sam in the movies, his speech in TTT, and when he holds Frodo and remembers the Shire.
24. Any particular scene you wished would have been put in the movie but it wasn't? 
I think I most miss the scene where Frodo and Sam are having dinner with Faramir. That was my favorite scene from TTT, and thus my prejudice against the movie.
25. For you what was the worst part of the Ring-bearer journey to destroy the one ring? 
When Frodo and Sam, disguised as orcs, were captured by the orcs and forced to march in the orc line. *shiver*
26. If you could spend one day of your life in Middle Earth, where would you go? What would you do? To whom would you speak to? 
I would go to Gondor. I would have lunch in the halls of Rivendell. I would eat at the Inn of the Prancing Pony. I would speak to Galadriel and Bilbo and Aragorn and Merry and Pippin and Sam's daughter Elanor. And if I were granted such an esteemed privilege, I would ask to sail into the West. Even if they wouldn't let me sail the whole way--just to sail a little, and then be swept back to my own earth again.
27. Would you rather own Narya, Nenya or Vilya? 
None. I am content to live in humble obscurity. If I had to safeguard one, I would choose Gandalf's or Galadriel's.
28. Apart from LOTR, what's your favorite book? 
The Silmarillion. It deserves it.
29. Did you enjoy the Lord Of The Rings Soundtrack? 
Yes, of course, though I don't listen to it often.
30. What effect has The Lord of The Rings made on your life and how much does it mean to you? 
Next to the Bible, the Lord of the Rings has had the most profound impact on my literary diet and way of thought. Since reading it, I have pondered deeply the epic legend of Christianity, God's way of working with his people, and good and evil in the hearts and minds of men. It opened me to a wider realm of literature and taught me that writing well takes time and is worth taking as much time as you need. Whenever I feel rushed, I think of Tolkien's 11 years completing LOTR.

Tolkien was a catalyst that helped me better understand and see the glory of Scripture. I am grateful for it.

And there you have it!

This, friends and fellow bibliophiles, is my 300th blog post! :) Thank-you all for reading so faithfully, and if you've enjoyed the content here, I would be greatly obliged if you could give it a follow under the Google Followers and spread the word to other fellow bibliophiles who might enjoy this blog. Spreading the word not only helps me boost my own platform and make plans for future writing and publication, but also gets the content into as many hands as possible, which is what I would love to do.

Come back Friday for the second installment of War of Loyalties snippets!

Blessings,
Lady Bibliophile

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I love learning little bits here and there about the LOTR books. And someday I shall read them.

    Congrats on the 300th post! I've loved each of your posts, and following your blog has provided with much insight and many thought-provoking topics. Keep up the fabulous work, and may the Lord continue to bless your labor. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love them when you do--and I think you will appreciate them on the deeper level that I always love to see in Tolkien readers. The best thing about LOTR is, a wait is always worth it--the more mature one is in coming to them, the better they are, and the more you will see in his books ever after. :)

      Thank-you so much for following, and for your many kind words on the blog posts! You have been a constant source of encouragement and inspiration. <3

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. The Silmarillion is my favorite, too. I'd love to see it made into a movie (as long as it was extremely well-done). Interesting and fun post. Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been afraid of a Silmarillion movie, mostly because of Maedhros and his missing hand. But I agree, if it were made in movie form I would definitely give it a try!

      The photos are by a fantastic artist who generously allows people to share them. :)

      Thank-you so much for stopping by!

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  3. I love your answers! And I'm glad that you are excited for The Hobbit film. I don't like it when people don't appreciate the movies enough. And I too really want to go to Rivendell. Ah, the pain of being in love with a fictional world.

    I find it interesting how Tolkien's works give a mutual understanding between fans. =)

    ~Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! I love the Hobbit films, and all the movies, though the books are my favorites. I can't wait to discuss the third film with you when it comes out. It looks epic by the trailer. :)

      Once one reads Tolkien it is life-changing. And then you find someone else who reads Tolkien and you are instant kindred spirits. It's like a poster I came across that says "I lost my heart in Middle Earth." :)

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your 300th post! It's been a fantastic ride so far, and I hope it will continue much, much longer.
    I loved this tag...there were some great questions on this one. So much so, I'll have to do it myself. Then we can compare differences. ;)
    Can't wait for tomorrow--I have a strange feeling that I will like it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you very much. After all these years, it's been amazing. I never stop to think about the joys of talking about books twice a week, but I'm so grateful the Lord has given me this opportunity.

      That would be so fun! I'd love to see your answers.

      I hope you will. ;D It's all in drafts and ready to push publish.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your 300th post, Schuyler!! How wonderful. I love your blog so much, yours is truly one of my top favourites. I am always inspired and encouraged, edified and entertained by reading your thoughts!

    Also, I love this post. Lord of the Rings always brings the smile in me. As I know it does to you :)!!!

    God bless.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Joy! It is an exciting milestone, and I'm glad you've been blessed and encouraged by your visits here. I have some exciting plans just around the corner for the blog in general!

      Indeed, indeed it does. :D

      <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...