Tuesday, November 25, 2014

War of Loyalties Character Interviews--Jaeryn Graham

Welcome to the November interview for my current work-in-progress, War of Loyalties! To catch up on other posts about the novel, check out the new tab above.

Before we begin, Jaeryn would like to insert the disclaimer that he makes absolutely no guarantees for the truthfulness of these answers. He is an agent for His Majesty's secret service, and answers these questions as an agent. He has been known to tell outright lies upon occasion. He's like potent medicine, so make his acquaintance at your own risk. 



The Interview


What is your real, birth name? What name do you use?
I currently go by Jaeryn Graham, but I have about six different aliases that I've used over the years.

What do you look like? (Include height, weight, hair, eyes, skin, apparent age, and distinguishing features)
6'1". Black hair, that was sometimes wavy and sometimes not, until Schuyler made up her mind and settled on wavy. Green eyes. Unblemished skin, with a few scars on the face. Apparent age, late twenties. Distinguishing features? Two crooked fingers, and aforesaid green eyes that can pierce.your.very.soul.

Do you own a car? Describe it.
I just bought one. A 1914 Vauxhall Prince Henry, for a decent price. It's black, but it looks rather like this car:


 What were you like in high school? What "clique" did you best fit in with?
Actually, I was a pretty popular fellow. Fit in with all the middle-class run-of-the-mill lot, and made the rich boys dance in their shoes on occasion. [evilgrin]

What is something you had to learn that you hated?
There are some times when taking advantage of well-meaning people is just a touch unpleasant, however necessary.

What is your favorite food?
Dark chocolate and Irish breakfast tea, strong and hot.

What kind of things embarrass you? Why?
A slip in good judgment. I'm supposed to be infallible, and mistakes lead to bad consequences and increased vulnerability.

What is the most frightening potential handicap or disfigurement you can conceive of? What makes it so frightening?
 Blindness would be horrible. So would deafness. Both of those senses are very important in my line of work, and as my work is a vital piece of who I am, I want all my senses sharp. I want the use of  all my limbs. I don't mind scarring; physical attractiveness is not important to me. But I think the very, very worst thing that would make me shudder to think of would be going insane.

[The below questions are taken from the Beautiful People interviews, and I have answered them for him.]

Does he or she write, dream, dance, sing, or photograph?
No. He is not good at anything artistic whatsoever. With a name like his, he really ought to be.

Favorite season of the year?
Winter. It suits his grey sweaters and dark hair and nice, hot cups of tea. Jaeryn is attached to his cups of tea, especially in the mornings.

Is there something he or she is afraid of?
He's afraid of losing the agents under him. He wants to make sure that those loyal to him come out of each mission in one piece.

 What does his handwriting look like? (round, slanted, curly, skinny, sloppy, neat, decorative, etc.)
Doing this with your geography student gets them extra points:


What kinds of things get on his/her nerves?
Tight-lipped people. Morning walks. Cold tea. Incessant talking. Lack of punctuality. Having to get up early.

What do your other characters have to say about them?
"A good fellow", "Prying", "Good-humored",  "Pushes too far", "Hospitable", "Enigmatic".

Where were they born, and when?

In Derry, Ireland. September 9th, 1889

Origin of the Name Jaeryn
The name Jaeryn is actually an accident. I was digging up some Irish names, with the vague idea that his name must begin with "J", and wrote down "Jaryn" on a piece of paper. Somewhere along the way an 'e' accidentally got added, and by the time I discovered the 'e' shouldn't be there, it was too late. He was Jaeryn.

I did more research and could only discover that the name Jaeryn was Hebrew. That didn't really sit well since he was supposed to be Irish, but I was dead determined to keep it, and wrote one scene where he was Jewish. It was a good scene. It could have worked. But a friend very kindly did some more research and told me she thought it could logically be of Celtic origin with the roots of the name and the lateness in history of my story.

Jaeryn has a strong personality that would work at twenty or fifty, with blond hair or black, with Irish or Jewish or even American background. But he's best as a dark-haired Irishman at twenty-seven years of age. ;)

He now has a  puppy named after him, a very cute little girl puppy who will have an honorary cameo in War of Loyalty's sequel: (Posted with the permission of the owner.)



   "I do not fear error either. I play to win." The Irishman's white teeth flashed out in an easy smile at his boast, and he threw back his shoulders as if eager to take on the next responsibility. "Now tell me what you want me to do." 
~War of Loyalties  

13 comments:

  1. Very awesome to become acquainted with Jaeryn! He seems like quite the character. And Irish people are awesome. I have a couple in my own novel. And that puppy is simply adorable. =D

    ~Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed meeting him, Victoria, and I hope you enjoy him in his full form one day! :) What are your Irish characters like? :)

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
    2. Yes! I look forward to that day. =D One of my Irish characters is a young doctor, and the other is more of a sailor-type; big and muscular and red-headed. But he has the heart of an angel. ;)

      ~Victoria

      Delete
  2. I am very glad that you allowed this interview on here, Jaeryn, even with that truthfulness disclaimer. It was a very happy surprise to check the blog this morning and see that it was about you. (Truly, could there be a better subject on such a day?)
    All the best,
    Your Loyal E.H. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor Jaeryn GrahamNovember 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM

      My Dear E.H.,
      I'm very honored to have given you a pleasurable surprise. After all your loyalty, I would sign you on in a heartbeat on my next mission. :)
      Yours Truly,
      J.G.

      Delete
  3. Oh...I can't even tell you how much joy this interview brought me. Thank you, Schuyler. :-)
    And Jaeryn, thank you for your cooperation in answering the questions, regardless of how truthfully they were answered. I wish you well in your endeavors.
    Sincerely,
    L.J.H.

    P.S. "Jaeryn has a strong personality that would work...with blond hair or black". A blond Jaeryn?! My dear Schuyler, surely not. Who would ever come up with such a horrid idea?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear L.J.H.-- I was shocked too at a blond-haired Jaeryn! But after being with him so constantly over the course of the year, he is so vivid that it doesn't frighten me anymore. :) (Though I would never change it from what it is!) I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      And Jaeryn sends you his compliments, and thanks for your well wishes. He currently is in a rather tight spot...

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  4. Hey Jaeryn! It's good to see you around the blogsphere! :D I can just imagine your crooked fingers typing on the keyboard, pausing every few minutes as your green eyes flash down the page making sure you didn't type anything incriminating. ;) Thank-you for coming on today; I can assure you that you will have many more loyal fans for doing so...
    I love your grey sweaters and dark chocolate and hot cups of tea. They are very well suited to you. :)
    And I love Jaeryn puppy too.
    ~Junior B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor Jaeryn GrahamNovember 26, 2014 at 10:27 PM

      My dear Junior B,
      I flatter myself that you would tremble in your shoes if my green eyes were turned on you.

      You may have a piece of the chocolate next time you come round the clinic. You're a good little bibliophile.

      Sincerely,
      Jaeryn Graham

      Delete
  5. What a positively amazing idea to give your main character an interview for us to get to "meet" him and know his interests, his looks, his likes; right down to his favorite season. I'm looking forward to the publishing of your first book and the many others you will be publishing in the future.

    God bless!
    Julianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun way to get to know your characters, their past and thought processes and likes and dislikes. I was thrilled when I first heard the idea, and it adds a lot of nice detail to the story. You would have fun with this, and it's a great spare time thing, to just take one question and mull over it as you're going about other tasks!

      Thanks so much. :) I can't wait to share WoL with readers and hear what you think. :)

      God bless!
      Schuyler

      Delete
  6. The puppy is darling. I have enjoyed reading all of your character interviews. Can't wait for the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Tori! I'm so glad you're enjoying them, and I can't wait for you to read the book!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...