Wednesday, December 24, 2014

War of Loyalties Holly Jolly Tag



This is a War of Loyalties Christmas that never is, was, or will be.  But it is the Christmas that Should Have Been if Schuyler were not the one writing this story. Jaeryn (27yo) is a dark, wavy-haired fellow with green eyes. Ben (24yo) has blue eyes and brown hair with a hint of wave to it. And Terry (35yo), whom you all have not met, is a lean, red-haired fellow with the biggest grin you have ever seen in your life. Acushla is a nickname for Ben's sister, Pearl. 

*Jaeryn hands around mugs of tea or eggnog and they all settle in for a chat.*

-Are you on the Naughty list or the Nice list?
Terry: I am a Nice sort of Naughty. *grin*
Jaeryn: *nonchalantly avoids question*
Ben: Nice. I think. Maybe not.
Terry: You're nice. Jaeryn's naughty.

-Have you ever had a White Christmas?
Ben: Lots of them. I like White Christmases.
Jaeryn: Quite a few, actually.
Terry: I used to rub Patrick's face in the snow on Christmas day snowball fights....

-Where do you usually spend your holiday?
Jaeryn: By myself and attending emergency patient calls.
Ben: Until last year it was alone in an apartment near John Hopkins University.
Terry: Well, that makes three of us, 'cause I always hang out at the pub most Christmases.
Jaeryn: One of us, Terry. That makes one of us. I don't hang out at the pub on Christmas, and unless Dorroll has any confessions to make, I doubt he does either.

-Do you open any presents on Christmas Eve?
Terry: I just shake 'em the night before, but I like opening them right away on Christmas morning. I'm going to come around about 5:00am for Acushla and see if she likes what I got her.
Ben (hastily): She'll be asleep. How about eight?
Terry: Ok. What about you doc? Do you peek beforehand?
Ben: I--um--sometimes feel them when no one's looking. And shake them.
Jaeryn: Are you serious? *evilgrin*
Ben: *turns red*
Jaeryn: I don't peek before Christmas as I don't live with anybody who puts them out beforehand. But when a patient or a friend drops in I open it when they give it to me.

-Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Terry: Donner and Blitzen and--and--Conner
Jaeryn: Rudolph
Ben: I have no idea.
Terry: Pearlie! Acushla!
Jaeryn: That's a new name. Did one of the reindeer run away or something?
Ben (trying to hide laughter): My sister is not a reindeer.

-What holiday tradition are you looking forward to most this year?
Terry: I think I'm going to hang up a piece of mistletoe somewhere.
Ben: I don't think that's a good idea if you have in mind what I'm thinking...
Jaeryn: *eyes twinkle*

-Is your Christmas tree real or fake?
Jaeryn: Real, of course. I don't put up a tree but if I did it would be real.
Ben: Whoever heard of a fake tree?
Terry: I can't wait to go cut one down.

-Hands down, what's your all-time favorite holiday food and holiday sweet treat?
Ben: Eggnog. I like eggnog. This is the fifth time in my life I've had it and it tastes good.
Jaeryn: When I was in college I would always find someone to go to for a traditional Irish Christmas dinner. Goose and stuffing and cranberry sauce and plum pudding and mince pie until you could hardly see straight. If I could have anything I wanted I'd go to Ireland and eat one of those dinners again. 
Terry: Oh, mm. Mum would make those growing up and I could get four plates down before I had to quit. I haven't had one of those in ages.

-Be honest: do you like giving gifts or receiving gifts better?
Jaeryn: Giving them, definitely.
Terry: Oh, I like giving them and seeing people's faces light up. Ben?
Ben: I don't--I don't really know if I like Christmas.
Terry: Doc! What a thing to say! Not like Christmas? Why wouldn't you--
Jaeryn: Leave him be, Terry. *whisper* he probably couldn't afford Christmas very well even if he liked giving gifts.
Terry *loud*: Oh, oh. Don't worry, doc, Christmas isn't all about the gifts.
Jaeryn: I'd send you to the North Pole if I could. TACT.
[Me: If Ben were willing to say it, he would say receiving them. Because that means someone cares about him without him having to ask, and it sort of warms him up inside when that happens. But he doesn't want to say it.]

-What would be your dream place to visit for the holiday season?
Jaeryn: *secret smile*
Terry: Oh, I don't know. I like the idea of seeing the family and all, so that would be good. And Alisa's got a nice place for the holidays.
Ben: I think I would most like to be with Charlotte, and wherever that is is good. Her parents would be nice to visit.

-Are you a pro-present wrapper, or do you fail miserably?
Jaeryn: I never wrap gifts.
Ben: I am good at it. Very good at it. The edges are nice and crisp and even and the ends look exactly the same.
Terry: I kind of tried once and it looked a little lopsided and crumpled...
Ben: *hides smile*

-Most memorable Holiday moment?
Terry: Probably the time I locked Erin up in the pantry closet until they called the police to find her. Mum gave me a whaling. I almost had to eat Christmas dinner standing up, she spanked so hard. 
Ben: Last Christmas was my first Christmas married. 
Jaeryn: And? AND? 
Ben: I liked it. It was memorable. That's all. 
Terry: You are no fun. Come on. 
Ben: Oh, all right. We put up our own Christmas tree and had dinner at her parents' house, and it felt good after college holidays where no one's around at school during break. And I gave her the locket she wears sometimes. 
Terry and Jaeryn: Mmmm. 

-What made you realize the truth about Santa?
Ben: I was very disappointed when I found out he wasn't real.
Terry: Aw, that's terrible. Who told you? 
Ben: :X
Jaeryn: *howls with laughter*
Ben: Just wait until you have to spill YOUR childhood secrets, Jaeryn Graham.

-Do you make New Year's resolutions? Do you stick to them?
Jaeryn: Terry doesn't stick to them. He swears every January 1st he'll quit smoking.
Terry: Now, doc! You don't even make them.
Jaeryn: Dorroll doesn't make them, but if he did he'd stick to them until the skies fall.
Ben: *smiles* I think you would, too.
Terry: Well, looky there. You two have something in common after all.

-What makes the Holidays special for you?
Ben: Good friends.
Jaeryn: That's just sweet.
Ben: I wish you would--
Terry: Don't get started again, either of you. This is supposed to be a time when EVERYBODY'S HAPPY WITH EACH OTHER.

-Play or sing your favorite Christmas song!
Terry: Okay. Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, Ring-ting-tingling too 
Jaeryn: Please don't, Terry. Not in front of everyone.
Terry: Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you 
Ben: Terry, I don't know that song. 
Terry: Ok, we can pick another one. Come on, doc, you can join me. And you too, Dorroll. Let's all sing Here Comes Santa Claus or something.
Ben: Um, I think I have to go now. *hastily drinks down the eggnog*
Jaeryn: And I definitely have to go. A doctor leads a busy life. *sets down mug*

*Ben and Jaeryn make a hasty exit.*


*Terry goes to find Acushla to sing with him.* 


Thanks to this source for the questions. Merry Christmas, fellow bibliophiles! Wishing you a blessed and joyful holiday season. :)


13 comments:

  1. Oh my word, I enjoyed this so much. xD I find it wonderful how well you know your characters. Thank you for sharing this. ^^

    And I saw The Hobbit last night. You will be getting an email soon. x)

    ~Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! I have had five years with the fellows, and greatly enjoy their company. :)

      Ooo! *happy anticipation* I was thinking of you yesterday. I can't wait to hear what you think. :D

      Merry Christmas!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
    2. Ah, five years. That's quite a while. x) I soon will be spending the next couple of years with some new literary characters of my own. More like screen characters. *cough* Not sure what possessed me to attempt to write a treatment for a screenplay.

      Wow, it means a lot to me when people think of me. 0.o Can't wait to see what you think! =D

      Merry Christmas!

      ~Victoria

      Delete
  2. Rofl. Love it. I laugh every time I read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Ow--I'm laughing so hard it hurts. Thank you lads! You're all so wonderful and you made my night.
    I absolutely love it, Schuyler! Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ~L.J.H. ;-)

    P.S. It's alright, Terry. I like your singing. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three lads are flattered to have offered a source of pleasure to Miss. L, and wish you a very Merry Christmas.

      You are most welcome! Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  4. To Ben, Jaeryn, and Terry,
    Thanks very much for giving us a peek into your Christmas time! You all make an extremely entertaining bunch, and I hope to see more of you in the future.
    Tut, tut, Ben and Terry; don't you know that shaking your unopened presents is almost as bad as reading the end of a book first? :P
    Could you all pass along my greetings to Schuyler for a very Merry Christmas? I would appreciate it greatly. :D
    Sincerely,
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Three gentlemen give a most gallant bow to Miss Kyla.*

      Merry Christmas, Kyla! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow. :)

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  5. Love it! Jaeryn's so funny in that second-to-last quote... x) I can just picture him saying that, too, and then Ben getting all frazzled. :wasntme:
    And Terry's being a disreputable angel as always. I hope he has a very Merry Christmas with the ...er... mistletoe. ;)
    I like how Ben would rather get gifts than receive them. It's so sweet, when you think about it, because he cares more about the love behind the gift than the gift itself.
    Have a very Merry Christmas, my dear Lady B! I can't wait to spend tomorrow with you. :D
    Love,
    Carrie-Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. "That's just sweet." XD
    Ahem. Mistletoe. AHEM.

    I am very much looking forward to spending tomorrow with you. It's always wonderful to have a sister to share the holiday with. <3

    Love,
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww! This was just about the best Christmas treat ever! Thank you Jaeryn, Ben and Terry, for letting us having a glimpse of your Christmas. You boys are a wonderful bunch and made me laugh out-loud more than once (My little sister Gracie hopped over to my side and wanted to know what was so funny.) Those two last questions, and the answers made by you - Jaeyrn and Ben, you put a smile on my face. Terry, you too, - don't feel bad; I like how you want to keep the peace between the two, rascal though you may like us to think you are!

    Delightful! Merry Christmas, old chaps :).

    Schuyler, also, I love Ben. Ben is so sweet, and I thought the fact that he loves to receive gifts, put that way, is something so lovely and tender in his character. Then when he says that his last Christmas was memorable because he was married, the response of the two others were quite hilarious. And Jaeyrn - he is such a delightfully grim character; it's perfect! Terry reminds me. . . well, he sort of seems to be a hybrid of Callum and Tristan in "All Creatures Great and Small", to the steady quiet Ben and strong-personality figure of Jaeyrn.

    You have a beautiful grasp of your characters, which just springs from the page of this interview, in the way they all speak and talk with each other. I love it! I so look forward to reading "War of Loyalties" - I know it will be a very special book with memorable characters; I also hope to edits are not causing you too much stress!

    Merry Christmas!!
    Love,
    Joy <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. *The three gentlemen send best Christmas wishes, and are glad you found a laugh or two with them!*

    I'm so glad you love Ben. I love him too, very much, and am glad he's coming across clear on paper. Terry is very much like Tristan. XD Though Jaeryn is his own man, and not at all like Tristan's older brother.

    I loved hanging out with them for the Holly Jolly tag last week. It was during a terrible week of writer's block. Edits are slow and stressful, but the Lord gives words one at a time, and I look forward to finishing this draft. I was just saying the other day that I have been steadily writing for about 5 years. I hear it takes 10,000 hours to work up to true excellence in something. I'm hoping to log in my 10,000 hours in about 15 years, so I'm a third of the way to my goal. But your prayers as I work towards the finish line are much appreciated! It's been challenging. But I've enjoyed a holiday break, and faithfulness to the task God appoints is what gets to the finish line.

    Thank-you so much for commenting! I always love hearing what you think of the characters, and it put a smile on my face. :D

    Love,
    Schuyler

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...