Friday, January 9, 2015

War of Loyalties January Snippets



This is my favorite time of month again! Time for some War of Loyalties snippets. :) I hope you all enjoy them. 

   Ben closed the door and sat on the edge of the sofa, taking courage from the heavy weight of the Webley between his fingers. The lights were smashed in too badly to be used, and a chill breeze crept through the open windows, rustling papers and stray objects on the floor. Not wanting to be left without a light, he found a candle that had rolled under the kitchen table and hunted about for a match to light it with. But none turned up in the chaos, and giving up his search, Ben returned to his seat to wait as the June twilight faded away to darkness.
//
   "I have no intention of dying."
//
   "You talk about conscience, yet I have seen you both lie and steal without objection. How far would you go? Would you murder for the sake of furthering your cause?"
   "Probing the depths of my depravity, are you?" Jaeryn didn't lose a beat. Clasping his hands behind his head, he yawned and tipped his chair back against the wall. "I don't know. I don't think I would go that far, but one can't say until one is tried. Would you kill—if I needed you to?”
//
   Ben kissed the top of her head. "God keeps us both safe as long as he likes, and there's no use fretting about it. Je t'aime, ma chérie. Don't worry about me."
//
   The grass grew ankle deep all the way to the cliff edge, but something blew in the wind that was not grass, and Ben stooped to see what had caught his attention. Stamped into the soft dirt and wound about the turf was a strand of rough twine. A slight tug produced another glint of metal, and at length loosed something which caused his mouth to open in astonishment.
//
   "Hey, mister." Ben looked up and saw a lounger crossing the street, sleeves rolled up to the elbows and a pack of cigarettes in his hand. The man appeared to be talking to him. "Aren't you the doctor's fellow?"
//
   As soon as the doctor sponged the copper discs with a damp cloth, he caught his breath. They lay on the table between the two men, an evil gleam shining from them.
   "Thank-you for bringing these." Jaeryn reached to take them away, but Ben was before him and covered the dog tags with his hand.
   "I want to know why they're important."
//
   "Young folks never ask that sort of thing."
//
   "Is he a German?"
   Ryson's anger only thinly disguised the fact that the tags had shaken him, and Jaeryn kept a sharp observation on him in case the older man dropped a clue that would reveal why. "Of course he's German. What would you expect with a name like that? And what's more, he's of vital importance to me."
   "More important than Dailey," Jaeryn remarked.
   The razor-keen features on the man opposite held seasoned indifference, obviously attained from long years of watching agents come and go. "Certainly."
//
   "I must go and pack, darling," Charlotte said at length, squeezing his hand and untwining her fingers. But her tone held a wistful note, and she made no haste to leave.
   Ben's hand crept to her hair pins, as it always did they were alone together. Her flaxen waves loosed from their tight constraints, and the wind caught at them, swirling her hair about her slender figure. "Nervous about leaving?" he asked, and a supreme contentment coursed through him at the soft lightness around his fingers.
   Charlotte leaned her head on his shoulder, and slipped her arm around his waist. "Not for myself," she replied. "But I'll miss you dreadfully."
//
   "Well, you can pull out and go home. Or you can stay where you are and play for the pool. There may be more to you than either of us realizes, and I should like to know what it is."
//
   "In fact, I think his coming is the most fortunate thing you've ever decided on."
//
   Charlotte smiled, though rather wearily. "The baby didn't cry until you took him. I think he likes his mother better."
//
   "This fellow who stops by to care for the horse--perhaps he can help you?"
   Pearl glanced up sideways at him from under her soft lashes. "I'm sure he would be happy to."
//
   
//
   He hadn't even considered what meeting Alisa might mean to Charlotte. An eighteen-year-old girl married only a few months, to be a mother already, while Charlotte herself had been married over a year and they hadn't discussed children yet. But to start a family now would be nothing short of insanity. "We won't wait too long. After all this is over we can think about it some more."
   "I'll remind you of that."
   Ben thought he saw her lips trembling, though he couldn't quite tell in the darkness. "Charlotte, are you all right?"
   "Oh, yes." She drew a deep breath and slipped her arm through his. "I'm just tired, that's all."
//
   "I don't think you realize what you put us through."
//

   Ben smiled at his cheerful demeanor, and wondered what kind of position Terry held at the Emmerson estate. Jaeryn might know whether or not he was someone they needed to watch. Then he thought of the bomb drop on Tontine, and Pearl, and suddenly realized Terry had called his sister by a love name for the second time.


8 comments:

  1. I love all these. :) The one in the picture (about the twinges of conscience) and the one directly after that are my favorite. :mm:

    Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always chuckle over Ben and Charlotte in that scene because it's classic male/female communication. "Is anything wrong?" "No, I'm just tired." Poor Ben, in that instance, was not as sensitive as he ought to have been.

      New Charlotte development. :) I hope I can work it in this time...

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. I like that one under the second picture, too. :D And the one where Ben pulls Charlotte's hair pins out. You had some nice quotes with those two. ;)

    And I like the ones about the dog tags.

    These are fun to read every month! :D

    Love,
    Carrie-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hairpins quote is such a cozy, dear little thing!

      I'm glad you enjoy them. :)

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  3. Very intriguing! I like all of them a lot. You have a very lovely and easy-to-read writing style, and I look forward to seeing more. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, your approval and anticipation warm the cockles of my heart!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Schuyler, these quotes are especially nice and lengthy ;). I love them all!! <3

    You do write so beautifully and so interestingly. It is almost unfair to think how long we have to wait before we can read your novel :P

    I love any quoted scene with Jaeyrn. Like the two quotes - the first one about whether he'd be willing to murder, and the second about conscience. They're great, Schuyler! Also I can see so much character-development with Charlotte and Ben in these snippets. Poor Charlotte and Ben. I feel sorry for them, and like them a lot. Some of my favourite ones are the ones between Charlotte and Ben in fact, - so sweet and sentimental! But I also like some of the more intense ones with Ben, like the one where he sits in the dark on the sofa. That's a good one. I got caught in it right away.

    "I've no intention of dying."
    I like that one! ^_^
    And for some reason, I suddenly realized that your story has the capacity of being really sad and heart-wrenchingly painful, as well as interesting/mysterious, etc. . . Oh dear!

    Love "War of Loyalties" - great round of snippets, Schuyler! Keep 'em coming!

    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad you liked them! :D

      You never know about timing! Keep praying that it's sooner than later, and perhaps it will come faster than we think. It's so hard to say with publishing. :)

      And for some reason, I suddenly realized that your story has the capacity of being really sad and heart-wrenchingly painful, as well as interesting/mysterious, etc. . . <<You would be perturbed at the evil cackle that entered my mind just there. :angel: But rest assured, I shall endeavor not to be sadistic.

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...