Friday, February 13, 2015

February War of Loyalties Snippets



Hey hey hey! It's my favorite time of month again. :) Draw up a chair and pour yourself a cup of tea for the February installment of War of Loyalties. Don't know what it's about? Catch up with plot synopsis and other snippets on My Novels page.


I was lucky to pull through, but my face is a mess and always will be now. They wouldn't tell me the damage when I first woke up. I managed to bribe a mirror in spite of them, and fainted for my pains when I saw myself. I've never looked since, and had I been blessed with the resources I might have pulled the trigger, but they took my gun away, so I am still alive to write to you.
*
"Weel," Terry O'Sean drawled, "I've knocked about some, but I jumped in over my head on Easter, 1916."
*
Ben stood up and walked over to the tin tray Jaeryn had used to cover something with earlier. A quick breath sounded through Jaeryn's teeth when he picked it up and pulled out the letter. Ben spread it out, and it lay there between them, a little square of violated trust.
*
"You were being threatened?"
Starlin frowned at his persistence."I don't know. We had a disagreement. I didn't want to talk to him anymore."
Interrogating Starlin King was worse than extracting teeth, and he had done a few in his time.
*
"And he's your husband." Starlin glanced up at Ben. His eyes were a brighter blue than Charlotte's, and they had a similar shape about them, but where hers held gentleness, his held only suspicion.
"Indeed he is," Charlotte said. "And I hope you'll like him very much."
*
Terry held out his wrist and displayed a Celtic cross tattooed on it.
*
Mrs. Meikle lowered her voice as the bell tinkled, announcing another customer. "Word has it th' Russian government split yesterday. All three political parties are like dogs snappin' at each other's throats, and the' soldiers are keelin' people in th' streets. Th' people dinna want war, and th' workers are on the verge of a revolt. I kenna what's happened since, but I know there's still a rumpus of some kind."
*
He had raced for life several times in his profession, but never on foot and never for anything so grave. This time he wondered if the victim would be alive when he reached him. Searching frantically for the spot of the boy's madcap scuffle, Ben ran until a stitch came into his side and sweat gathered on his face, his heart pounding just as much from fear as from exertion.

*
"I'm a doctor, not a nursery-maid."
*
Blood everywhere. The whole side of his shirt was drenched with it, and the red liquid was fast spreading to the grass underneath him.
*
"Far be it from me to dictate your friends, Doctor Dailey." Jaeryn's green eyes sparkled in impish glee. "Or your sister's sweethearts; that's entirely in your hands. But I didn't think you were the sort to take up with runaway Irish rebels. They're rather disreputable folk last time I checked."
*
"I wrote him for a couple of years after his mother died, and I think talking about it helped him process the whole affair. But as soon as he left school he stopped writing, and I entered college then, so I stopped too. I found his letters before we left. He mentioned loving music in the most recent one, and said his father had promised to buy him a Stradivarius, but that's all I remember about him. I don't know what he's like now."
*
The warm, yeasty scent of bread met him as he climbed the three wooden steps, and he saw some of the dinner dished up and waiting--potatoes and green beans and a little crock of sweet honey on the counter.
*
"I suppose you and my sister know each other?"
Terry nodded and gave her a broad wink. "Hello again, Pearlie."
Ben opened his mouth in protest as he heard Terry use their pet name for her, but he never got the words out.
*
"Tá brón."
The sudden breaking of the silence startled him, and the low talk continued on, rising to the heavens in a kind of melody, though not with any music. Ben looked about to detect its source, and was force to conclude that it came from the Irishman himself. His murmured words stirred passion, and wonder, and heartbreak all in one--a savage, ancient sort of beauty.
*
"To be quite candid, it’s none of your blasted business what my private life is."
*

My nerves are shot to pieces--never knew I had any until this. I've almost killed nurses more than once waking up from the nightmares, and I couldn't do that to her. I'll come home when I can stand to. Don't think ill of me.


Do not research mustard gas burns, folkies. It is sad. 

6 comments:

  1. >>Interrogating Starlin King was worse than extracting teeth, and he had done a few in his time.
    Lol! Poor Ben. ;)

    >>"I'm a doctor, not a nursery-maid" :D

    There are so many good ones! I like the one where Jaeryn's teasing Ben about Pearlie's sweethearts and the one right after that about Starlin. :D And I love your picture at the top of the post, too.

    Keep up that editing!! ;) <3

    Love,
    Carrie-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <333 Will do!! I'm so glad you liked the picture. It made me think of Starlin right off the bat. :)

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. This is my favorite time of month here on the blog, too.

    These snippets fill my heart with warmth, giggles, horror, wonder, and thrills of anticipation, as they should. They throw me back into a different (and intriguing!) world.

    Fine work, Schuyler my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Your comment made me so happy. ;) I'm so glad this story fills you with such a response. God is so good.

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  3. These are such nice snippets of "War of Loyalties", Schuyler, as they always are :). They are filled with a sense of drama, character, and tension which is wonderful; some of the scenes especially intrigued and excited me! The italicised first and last snippets definitely piques my interest. . . something really bad is happening to the writer/speaker - nerves shot to pieces? Nearly killing nurses? Pulling his own trigger? DEAR ME! And I am in such suspense to know who it is. It's not Ben?!!! Or Jaeyrn? *biting nails in anxiety for them*

    Though I am totally clueless of the context, I really loved this one "And he's your husband." Starlin glanced up at Ben. His eyes were a brighter blue than Charlotte's, and they had a similar shape about them, but where hers held gentleness, his held only suspicion.
    "Indeed he is," Charlotte said. "And I hope you'll like him very much."
    I am growing ever fonder of Charlotte! <3 Can't wait to meet her in the pages of your novel!

    Is Pearlie Ben's sister? I am pretty sure I've got this messed up, but I am wondering considering Ben is all surprised when Terry calls her by that name :).

    Keep up the lovely work, Schuyler; I am eagerly excited for the day I can read this. . . :))
    Lots of love,
    Joy

    P.S. I am finally working on a response to your Plenilune email discussion! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something REALLY BAD. :cheekygrin:

      I'm so glad you loved the quote about Charlotte, because it is one of my dearest ones that I love. <3 I have enjoyed expanding her character in this draft, and I think you'll find her interesting.

      Yes! Pearlie-girl is Ben's sister, so he--ahem--likes to take care of her.

      Looking forward to your email!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...