Tuesday, March 17, 2015

War of Loyalties Character Interview--Terry O'Sean



In keeping with St. Patrick's day, I am pleased to present to you an Irish-American War of Loyalties character, Terry O'Sean. Terry is a 36-year-old, lean, red-haired fellow with a penchant for lounging around in the wrong place at the right time. I hope you profit by enjoy his acquaintance.

Note: Acushla is an Irish term of endearment for a sweetheart. Terry uses 'Acushla' and 'Pearlie' interchangeably. :) 

What is your favorite food?
An Irish breakfast. Alisa makes me lots of them, and Pearlie's learned how too.

What is the worst injury you have ever received?
Well, I got a flesh wound from a bullet, and a night out on the river with a swim afterwards didn't help. But that was years ago, and I made it.  

What is your greatest fear?
Just don't like people to be mad at me, but after that I'm good for anything. :)

What is something you would dream of but never expect to happen?
Having all the people I like settled in one place and happy with one another. Somehow this lot I'm with tends to be on the unhappy side, and I think they must look at life differently than I do. And I'll never get everybody I like in one country, which is sad.


What do you care the most about in life?
Acushla! 

Whose opinion do you care the most about?
Acushla's! 

How do you react when you get tired?
I talk a lot. Jaeryn tells me I ought to be locked up so no one has to be subjected to my foolishness.

(Terry gets a little silly when he's tired.)

What is your dream job?
Nothing specific. A bunch of different things that will put a little money in my pocket and keep life interesting. My dream job is not to have to do the same thing the rest of my life. Variety is much more enjoyable than regular work. Right now I help Alisa take care of her horse and do handyman work. 


Ben helped Charlotte carry her trunk back to Copt Point that afternoon. Terry was there when he stopped by, sweat-stained from working in Alisa's garden, and attacking the cherry tart Pearl gave him with hearty vigor. ~War of Loyalties, by Schuyler M. 

What do you see as the most significant event in your life so far?
I don't know. Never thought about things like that before. 

What has been the greatest trial in your life so far?
My sister. I love her, but she's a trial.

What would you do if you had a free hour and could do anything you wanted to?
Go talk to Acushla! Actually, if I had a free hour, I'd go marry her, but somehow I don't think she's ready for that yet. Not sure why, when she likes me and I like her.

What is most important to you, heart, head or hands?
Hands. I was never very smart with my head, but I can work with my hands.

Would you rather die alone or with friends?
Aw, if I have to die I'd much rather have some company while I'm at it. As long as they didn't die too, I wouldn't want that. Just company until I died would be plenty good.

What is the last lie you told?
Well, I told Starlin King a bunch of whoppers, but they won't hurt him and he'll never know the difference. Just to make him feel good and all that.

What is something you would tell nobody (barring the author)?
I do have one thing, but I can't tell you, m'dears because I promised--er, someone I wouldn't breathe a word of it, and they're the sort of person who needs to be obeyed.

(Poor Terry thinks it's a secret, but he can't keep it a secret for the life of him.)

What is one thing you would love everyone to know about you?
I'm Irish, and I love Acushla! 

What would be your preferred mode of execution?
I think the rope might be interesting. But then, drowning would be adventurous too. And I always wanted to stand before a firing squad and give 'em a good grin, and see if they could actually stand to shoot me while I was doing it.

Is there anyone you would die for or follow to the ends of the earth?
I'd die for Pearlie. And I follow her around a lot, but I don't think she wants to go to the ends of the earth. Lots of strange people there, you know; I've seen them. They might want to marry her, and that wouldn't be good.  

What would move you to tears?
I've never cried before. Except when I was small as my sister's boy, probably.

What is the dumbest thing you’ve ever done?
Something I've done, or something I've said? I participated in the IRB revolt in 1916, and then I ducked down in hiding for a while because they were after us all. Mum probably wouldn't think that was too smart. And then I took up cigarettes and got a tattoo. There's more, but you'll just have to read and find out.

Describe your wife or ideal wife?
A little blonde-haired girl with blue eyes and long lashes and a pretty, kissable face. And one that needs me to give her just a little happiness, because I like making people happy.

Would you rather be guilty of a crime and get away with it or be innocent and falsely accused? 
I don't know. Um, I think I'd rather get away with it. I mean, I don't want to die yet. I have to live and save up some money and get married. 

Any family?
One mum, one dad, and three siblings. They're great folks. :) 

What is your religious background?
Always went to church when I was a little kid. It was a nice, small church with stained-glass windows and the hardest pews that ever made your backside sore to sit in. I taught myself to sleep without closing my eyes during the sermon, and I got pretty good at it. My parents didn't make me to go to church after I turned fourteen. It was nice, but I had other things I'd rather do. But I have a high respect for people who do. Those who go to church are good folk, and we need them to balance out the rest of us heathens in the world. 

A tousled red head popped out of an upstairs window. "Hello mate," it called.
Ben tipped his head back and recognized the man he had met in the street with the cigarettes. "Hello. Am I speaking to Terry?"

"You've got him, doc," the man said cheerfully. "Wait a moment, and I'll come down."
~War of Loyalties, by Schuyler M. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh mah goodness, he's adorable. I just want to hug him. xD (I've got a lot of Irish blood, myself.) I love his accent, and how cheerful he seems to be, and just...oh, I'm in love with this character. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have called him an Irish teddy bear before. :) I have Irish blood too! That means we can celebrate an authentic St Patrick's day, eh? :)

      Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comment made me smile (in a good way). :)

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Terry!! :D I enjoyed your interview immensely--only, you DO need to work on a few...um...flaws you still have. :P But you're a good-hearted fellow and I'm glad to have your acquaintance. (By the way, I totally agree with you on Acushla--she's nice, isn't she? :)

    Fun post, Irish girlie! ;)

    Love,
    Carrie-Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flaws? Flaws?? Did I forget to help you with something? I'm really, really sorry.

      Penitently Yours,
      Terry

      PS. And Acushla's nice!! XXOO

      Delete
  3. He's so honest and good-hearted.

    I don't know if I quite get that whole can't-decide-which-execution-I-want-because-they're-all-so-exciting thing, Terry, but I think you're wonderful all the same, and I wish you all the best!

    ;)
    Miss Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY. I think you're a brick, and I love you almost as much as Acushla. Wish me some Irish luck tonight!

      Devotedly Yours,
      Terry XX

      Delete
  4. You're so fantastic Terry. :) What else can I say?
    -E.H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Schuyler! I loved reading about Terry. He seems like a great character (aside from those few flaws you mentioned. :wasntme:) You had me in fits of laughter as I read. :D I look forward to hearing more about him!
    Lizzy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry is the only first-born who defies all the personality charts. He keeps me laughing, and I'm glad he made you laugh, too!

      He deserves an award for easiest character to work with. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...