Tuesday, March 10, 2015

War of Loyalties March Snippets



Ben pulled up a chair and waited for the first incisive look from the sharp blue eyes. But they remained closed. One minute passed, and the second, and the third, with no response.
//
"This feels almost like home now," Charlotte remarked, as she set the flat irons on the stove to heat. "I saw the sea often when I was a child, and it looked just like this."
"Snob." Ben went over by the window so as not to have the gun near her, and emptied it of the shot. "I'm surprised you even considered marrying me. You don't get holidays by the sea now."
"No." She gave him a saucy smile. "Now I live by it. I calculated what I would be getting in return."
//
"I don't think seeing him as a martyr to an imbecilic sixteen-year-old will help matters."
//
Terry held out his left hand and Ben saw a thin sparkle that hadn't been there Wednesday evening. He slipped it off and placed it on his own finger for sake-keeping. The ring flashed a twisted flame of gold and sapphire in the most delicate setting he had ever seen.
//
"It just arrived." Jaeryn showed great pride in the apparatus. "The newest Brownie on the market, and you'll find it useful when you go to Emmerson's tomorrow. During church, you'll remember. I hope you don't mind skipping church once; you can go to the evening service if you like."
//
The betrayal ripped into him, leaving a jagged shard of misgiving behind. "Thank-you, Peters," he said absently. "I believe that will be all. I'm much obliged to you."
//
He had not pursued his way towards town long when he caught sight of a dark-headed figure on the road. It was Jaeryn. Ben wondered what would have weighed more with him than a few extra minutes of sleep. Whatever had disturbed him the night before must be gone, for Jaeryn looked quite satisfied with the world in general, and he wore a grey knitted sweater which gave him an air of casual comfort.
//
A hint of defense entered King's deep voice. "You don't understand. He asked most particularly to be left alone, and he's not a lad to be denied. We sent for you as soon as Starlin's man found something was amiss."
//
"Never mind, then." Ben rolled his eyes. "Communication is a commodity of little value in this house."
"Sir," Starlin's valet replied noncommittally, and hastened to obey his instructions.
//
Alisa gave him a seat in her living-room and offered him tea, but he declined it. Then, without asking, she handed him her little boy, her blue eyes dancing, and sat down in the chair beside him. Matthew sat on his lap with a doubled-up fist crammed into his mouth, staring in front of him with round, wondering eyes. But he didn't cry when he switched places.
//
"The idea that culture and ethnicity determine virtue is a misguided one. You should not live under the shame of ignorant judgment."
//
Ben thought it of little use to protest, and silently inked his fingers and pressed them on the paper Jaeryn offered. Jaeryn scrawled his name at the top--his real name--and laid it aside to dry. He saw Ben's face and looked at it more closely. With a sharp exclamation he tore off the top and rewrote the alias.
//
"I'm obliged to you."
"No, you aren't." Jaeryn laughed. "But sometimes, Dorroll, you need help beyond your own efforts, and today may be one of those days. You're an eloquent fellow on occasion, and I'm sure the talent will come in good stead with Ryson. Do be agreeable."
//
Pearl came in with a flush of pleasure on her face, willing and eager, completely unsuspecting of his intentions. She wore a light blue waist with her serviceable brown skirt, and looked quite charming and pretty with her honey-blonde curls half covering her shoulders.
//
Jaeryn's green eyes looked him over for a moment of inspection. He swung about on one booted heel and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Get out."
//
Aside from the crooked index and littlest fingers, the rest were smooth and scarred and unblemished, and they didn't look used to hard manual labor. The only thing, now that he looked closely, to show that Jaeryn Graham was not a creature of complete invulnerability, were the scars on his face from the glass injury in the Tontine bombing. They were practically invisible in normal lighting, and anyone ignorant of the affair would never notice them. But to an informed observer, and in very good light, the tiny white specks from the largest pieces of glass could still be traced.
//
"Do you realize," Ben said, in a voice that was hardly audible, "this is the first thing I've ever failed at?"
//
Keep a careful watch. We are laid by the heels, and I cannot flatter myself that our researches will be unimpeded for long. I have never taken the strongest measures possible, for I know from experience that moderation is a better cover than hasty violence. But you may see differently, and you must act according to your lights.
//
"I miss you already." Her voice was mellow from crying and she tucked her hand in his arm and melded into his side until he could feel the loose waves of her hair against his face. "I know you're doing the best you can for us. It's just hard to be strong sometimes."
"It is a curse, being strong." His voice went rough, and he swallowed back the sting of sadness. "But it is our cross, and we must carry it."


There you have it, friends! And be sure to come back Friday for an exciting review of the up-and-coming novel, Pendragon's Heir! :)

10 comments:

  1. I have a feeling the final product will keep me up way past bedtime reading. Not to mention that these snippets hint at who will be my favorite characters.

    ~Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would fill the cup of my happiness to overflowing. :)

      Delete
  2. Love these, girlie! I think my favorite is the last one, and I also like with Ben and Starlin's valet and Ben holding Alisa's baby. :D
    These are such fun post to read! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthew Benjamin is just a little sweetie. And he really deserved another scene. :) Love you, girlie!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you're making me want to read your book right here and now. It sounds so enchanting. :)
    I rather like these quotes:
    "Ben thought it of little use to protest, and silently inked his fingers and pressed them on the paper Jaeryn offered. Jaeryn scrawled his name at the top--his real name--and laid it aside to dry. He saw Ben's face and looked at it more closely. With a sharp exclamation he tore off the top and rewrote the alias."

    "Do you realize," Ben said, in a voice that was hardly audible, "this is the first thing I've ever failed at?"

    Thank you for sharing, Schuyler! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last quote you mentioned is one of my favorites (One of many. :P) Can't wait for you to be able to read it, Lizzy! :)

      Delete
  4. Honestly, Schuyler, these were really good. They get better every month. I am proud of you, thankful to God, and waiting eagerly for the fruit of all your labor. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank-you so much. You don't know how encouraging your comment was to me. Three more weeks, Lord-willing! ;)

      Delete
  5. Oooh, Schuyler!!!!!

    I just love these snippets. I love Ben and Charlotte, and Jaeyrn and Pearl. . . oh, and I just love your writing! Each scene is so interesting and tantalising. The descriptions are beautiful. I am just so excited. . . I agree totally with what Victoria said, I have a feeling you're novel will give us a night or two of insomnia ;).

    My favourite would definitely be the last. The emotions in that snippet are so sad and heartfelt *sniff sniff* I love it, Schuyler! Praying for you, that the Lord will aid your work and help you complete it. WELL DONE! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told Victoria, I would be pretty pleased if it kept you up! We'll have to see what the laddies can do when the time comes. :)

      I'm so glad you loved the last quote. Actually, it was a scene I almost completely re-wrote this time, and one that was rather bland in the last draft. It's amazing how something you didn't spend much time on can turn into a favorite scene with just a little polishing!

      Thank-you for your prayers!! They are a lifeline. <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...