Friday, April 24, 2015

Best of Brothers and Sisters

In 2014 I did a whole collection of Best Of posts, culling my favorite characters from various books I've read. But we ran out of time before finishing, and I have three more categories that I want to tackle before shelving the series completely. Today's post is Best of Brothers and Sisters. Get ready to pull out your favorites! This list will be by no means exhaustive, and I want to hear your entries as well!

Laddie and Little Sister (Laddie: A True Blue Story)
My all-time favorite pair.
"Have I got a little sister anywhere in this house?" Laddie inquired at the door.
"Yes sir," I answered, dropping the trousers I was making for Hezekiah, my pet blue jay, and running as fast as I could. There was no telling what minute May might take it into her head that she was his little sister and get there first.

Matthew and Marilla (Anne of Green Gables)
They get along quite well, even if they do have to stick their oars in once in a while.

Jane and Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
One sweet and innocent, one witty and discerning. Both very fond of each other.

Fanny and William Price (Mansfield Park)
"My Dear William"--their correspondence throughout the years of William being at sea was very sweet.

Henry and Eleanor Tilney (Northanger Abbey) 
What brother could not be awesome who is a good judge of white muslin? Add to that reading Gothic romances with his sister, and you have the epitome of excellence (spoken facetiously, of course).

Godwin and Wulf (The Brethren) 
Two brothers, both in love with the same girl. Both fully resolved to stay true to each other at the same time. How's that for shaking up the cliche?

Bree and Devin (Viking Quest)
OK. So I fangirled over Devin. He's nice.

Angus and Duncan (Crown and Covenant Trilogy)
I liked when they teamed up at Aird's Moss. And the puddock swap in book 1 was too cute.

Scarlet and Cliff (Chasing Jupiter)
Heart-wrenching pair--an autistic little boy who wants to go to Jupiter, and his big sister trying to make his dreams come true.

Ruth and Tom Pinch (Martin Chuzzlewit)
They were so cute keeping house together, especially with the famous pudding-that-wasn't.

John of Bedford and Henry V
While I have no book to recommend on this pair (Someone Needs to Take Note), I have a deep love and high respect for the hard work John of Bedford accomplished in advancing Henry's kingdom in France. Even after Henry's death, John kept his memory very dear, and literally worked himself to death to honor him.

Richard III and Edward IV
Reading Paul Murray Kendall's Richard the Third has only served to drive the point home: Edward was Richard's hero. At eighteen, Richard was already managing troops and fighting battles to keep his brother on the throne. I love them both.

Marguerite and Armand (The Scarlet Pimpernel)
While the two of them certainly kept the Scarlet Pimpernel on the constant edge of death, one can hardly blame their fidelity to one another. It was a hard either-or.

Fili and Kili (The Hobbit) 
Ahem. Familiar, those two. And no, I hate that line about "I-must-stay-with-my-brother" in the movie. Please don't hate me for hating it.

Boromir and Faramir (The Lord of the Rings) 
"Remember this day, little brother. Today, life is good."

Margaret and Fredrick Hale (North and South)
It occurred to me that John Thornton is slightly hypocritical for his displeasure at Margaret kissing Fredrick in the train station. After all, he seemed to do it himself with very few qualms of conscience. But we'll forgive the man.

Melangell and Rhun (The Pilgrim of Hate)
Cadfael meets quite a few hassled young people, and The Pilgrim of Hate is no exception. But while Melangell and Rhun didn't have a legendary bond between the two of them, they did seem to love each other. Besides--it's my favorite mystery.

Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy (Little Women)
Can't forget these dear girlies.

Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy (The Chronicles of Narnia)
And what list would be complete without this immortal four? (Though I admit, I had to be reminded.)

Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)
Two of the most anti-social and politically-influential gentlemen of the 19th century.

Judah Ben-Hur and Tirzah (Ben-Hur) 
While I only know them from the Focus on the Family audio drama, they were endearing with their banter.
"Very pretty, my Tirzah."
"Now I know you are sick. You're teasing me!"

Nat and Lizza--Carry on Mr. Bowditch
:'( While I am not big on good-luck charms, it was sweet of them to jingle the silver together to try to help their parents out. And they were a beloved sharer of each other's joys and sorrows.

The Boxcar Children
None of the later mysteries ever matched my love for the first book in the series. What a delightful foursome. I can't wait to introduce my own children to them someday.

Caroline and her siblings (Little House in Brookfield)
Caroline's books were my favorite of the Little House knock-offs, though I also loved Martha and Duncan as well (Little House in the Highlands). But Caroline and her siblings helped their single mother make a living, while also managing to have fun along the way. They were some of my best childhood friends.

Caddie Woodlawn and her siblings (Caddie Woodlawn)
The watermelons. Annabelle's buttons. Swimming across the river. I read that book so many times.


In making lists like these, I always forget some of the most obvious and best. Plus, all my books are packed, so I can't reference them right now. So help me out! Who would you add?

Thanks to this article, this article, and this article for jogging my memory. But I did not actually read through them, so proceed at your own risk. 

15 comments:

  1. These are all so fantastic! I read Caddie Woodlawn so many times growing up. And the Little House on the Prairie series was a favorite as well. I would add to this list:

    Molly and Cynthia from "Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell (they're sisters by adoption/second marriage so I'm not sure if that counts but their friendship is still remarkable)

    Sophie Hatter and her sisters from "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones

    Meg and Charles Wallace Murry from "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle

    Rose and Blanche Briar from "Fairy Tales Retold" by Regina Doman

    The Igibys from "The Wingfeather Saga" by Andrew Peterson

    The Darlings from "Peter Pan" by J.M. Barrie

    Thanks for sharing!! This was a lot of fun. :)

    Dani from A Vapor in the Wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I love these additions, especially since we've been watching Wives and Daughters! And the Igbys were wonderful, too. I've read book 1 of the Wingfeather saga, but I'm looking forward to making further acquaintance with them. :)

      Delete
  2. So neat to see you included Laddie and Little Sister, and the Pinches! Martin Chuzzlewit is one of my favorite Dickens novels and one of my favorite miniseries.

    I'd add several of E. Nesbit's—Roberta, Peter and Phyllis from The Railway Children, and the Bastables, and the clan from Five Children and It. I like how her siblings are never too 'perfect' and squabble realistically, but genuinely love each other in spite of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Martin Chuzzlewit movie. They did such a good job with it, even though I wish they would have had more time to develop the America scenes.

      You know, I've never read E. Nesbit. My education is sadly lacking. :)

      Delete
  3. So much Jane Austen! I loveeee it. And Sherlock and Mycroft - they always make me laugh. Some of my favorite sibling pair right now is probably Bronte and Tennyson from Bruiser by Neal Shusterman. They're really so perfect. I'm also fond of Michael and Patrick from a new favorite of mine, The End Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome choices! And never too much Jane Austen. :D The list was getting rather long from her books, but they were all so good I couldn't bear to leave them out. :P

      Delete
  4. I loved this post!

    If you want a book to recommend for John of Bedford and Henry V, The Caged Lion by Charlotte M. Yonge is a wonderful book (and available for free at gutenberg.org!). James Stewart, King of Scotland, is the hero, but John and Henry are main characters and their extraordinary brotherly love comes across loud and clear.

    I liked so many of your choices: Laddie and Little Sister, Godwin and Wulf, Judah and Tirzah, Nat and Lizza, Boromir and Faramir, the Pevensies. Here are a few I would add...

    The Gardiner Brothers (Kathryn Worth, They Loved to Laugh)
    Joel and Thacia (Elizabeth George Speare, The Bronze Bow)
    Aquila and Flavia (Rosemary Sutcliff, The Lantern Bearers)
    Cynan, Cynri, and Cynran (Rosemary Sutcliff, The Shining Company)

    Did I mention that I loved this post...?

    ~Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte Younge is on my Soon-To-Read list. But I was thinking something else entirely. ;P

      I see I need to read more Sutcliff too.

      So glad you liked it. And thank-you for commenting. <3

      Delete
  5. Ooh, this is such a lovely collection of sibling relationships in novels! One of my favourite elements in stories is sibling relationships as well of those between parents and children; always something that gets me excited :D.

    I love the siblings you mentioned, like the March girls, Scarlett and Cliff (*sniffs*), Ruth and Tom Pinch (I love the Martin Chuzzlewit tv adaption), the Pevensie children, Sherlock and Mycroft (ha! those boys ;), Marguerite and Armand (Oops!) and Terzah from "Ben Hur" (You REALLY need to read the book and watch the film too, they're great!). I had to smile at your caption of Margaret Hale/Fredrick - poor John Thornton ;).

    I love Henry Tilney and his sister's close friendship too! <3
    And Boromir and Faramir, and that scene always brings a lump to my throat :').

    Elisabeth mentioned some of Sutcliff's sibling characters. Ooh my goodness, Aquila and Flavia and the three brothers from "The Shining Company" just a bring an ache to my chest :'( <3

    Hmm, I suppose I can think of a few others. . . there are the children from Enid Blyton's "Famous Five", and "The Adventure Series" who are a lot of fun; there is Edith Nesbit's "The Railway Children", Abigail and Jacob from "The Acts of Faith Series", the Ingalls girls, Marcellus and Lucia from "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas, Imraldra and her young sister from "Starflower", and just recently a new favourite would be Scout and Jem from "To Kill a Mockingbird", though honestly they are not exactly always amazing to one another, but they still love each other fiercely :). . .

    A few of these other siblings are from novels I haven't read myself yet. I should check them out! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I really, really need to read some more Sutcliff. And To Kill a Mockingbird as well--that's on my list to read this summer, and I simply cannot wait.

      Loved all the ones you shared! :)

      Delete
    2. I just read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time last month. Look forward to it...it's really good. ;)

      Delete
  6. I haven't commented on this yet, but I really, really loved it. :D The only other sibling pair I could think of was Roger and Osbourne from 'Wives and Daughters'. They were so nice. :)

    Lovely post, my dear! Can't wait for more 'Best Ofs'!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That made me so happy that you mentioned the Viking Quest! I didn't know other people actually read those books! I love them so much!

    I would have to add Barbara and Regina from Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Ann Lininger

    Cyrus and Antigone from The Ashtown Burials by N.D. Wilson.

    Amy, Fanny, and Tip Dorrit, from Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love them very much. :) Mikkel, Bree, and Devin get a lot of discussion time around here.

      I love Barbara and Regina, too! And Little Dorrit is a lovely Dickens novel. :) Great additions, Hannah!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...