Friday, April 17, 2015

War of Loyalties April Snippets

          


          Ben debated on whether to be politic or truthful, and settled for politic.
            ~
          Starlin picked up his violin and placed it under his chin, testing the strings with his bow. "Cabernet Sauvignon is good. Besides, you'll be away, so you'll never know, will you?"
~
          "You can give nothing. And it was not because I cared."
           ~
           The door creaked as he entered the welcome hush of empty pews. White cloud light filtered through the stained glass, with dust particles dancing through the gleam. The dark woodwork from floor to ceiling settled a sleepy aura over the place. A grey-haired sexton wielding a broom observed him as he chose a place to sit. He folded his hands over his knees. All the need for talk and pretense was over. Now there was nothing left to do but pray, if the words would come, and wait for the time to pass that had never failed to pass before. 
           ~
A slight tremor went through the hand that was empty of its wedding band.
~
Jaeryn's eyes twinkled with merriment. "The fates are against us."
~
When he arrived, he found Terry and Starlin there, playing chess in the parlor. Pearlie sat next to Terry, watching over his shoulder as he moved the pieces about on the board, her cheeks pink with excitement.
~
"You are too polite for your own good."
~
I have something of consequence to tell you. Be at The Star Inn, eight o' clock sharp this evening, and secure a corner table. F. 
~
He led the way out of the dining room and down the hall, a mahogany walled passage with one or two pieces of statuary and several valuable paintings. The living room was furnished in muted browns and reds, not sumptuously, but containing every possible article to gratify his taste. There were curios from his travels ranged around shelves; articles of foreign make and little marble gods and goddesses; hangings of Indian manufacture, and books in several foreign languages. The only things lacking were any photographs or signs of family life. It was as comfortable as a club, and as devoid of personality.
~
Hot wrath rose in his throat. "I don't need his help."
~
"I didn't come for money."
"Then why did you?"
[He] tilted his head and fixed his gaze on the dark wooden floorboards. "Even a man such as myself can suffer the effects of--conscience."
~
The comforting aroma of coffee beans sent up a gentle steam from the pot to warm his face.
~
"Your steps are in a loose foothold, sir, and in spite of your--indifference--I do not want to see you fall." 
~
Terry held a black piece in his hand when Alisa beckoned for Jaeryn to come in. "Got your queen, lad."
Starlin shrugged. "So I'll win without it." 
~
"Success is poorly bought at the expense of truth. But I'm beginning to think you would do anything for success."
~
The chatter of fellow customers buzzed around them, wrapping them up in a small pocket of noiseless space. Every minute or so, a crack of thunder could be heard, and the answering shimmer of glass shaking from the noise.
~
"You're a close-mouthed fellow, and too secretive for your own good," he teased, "but I think you're not half bad for all that."
~
"No," Ben said firmly. "--Thank-you," he added as an afterthought.
~
Cheapjacks called out hot tea and chips in the bustling whirl of street traffic, and numerous vehicles clattered to and fro over the stony avenue.
~
Once when Jaeryn managed to tear his gaze from Starlin, he looked back and caught Terry squeezing Pearlie's hand in one of his big, rough ones. He cleared his throat pointedly. "Terry."
Terry winked. "You should be looking at the road to help the kid out, doc."
~
 "It was an act of the will. Love is, I have heard. I have also heard the feeling follows after, but I have yet to experience it."
            ~
           

There you have it, folks. :) This will be the last War of Loyalties snippets post throughout the summer. I will likely resume in fall, but for now I am moving on to other writing projects, and would like to share those with you! Look out for new stories next month, as the snippets feature continues. :) Thank-you all so, so much for your interest and encouraging comments. You can't imagine how much it means to me to have you love these characters too. I hope sometime in future a physical book will be available so you can meet them in more detail!

Coming Up Next Month 




Homeschool Diaries: An angel is given a unique assignment--to chronicle the lives of five homeschoolers and give advice to their guardian angels on the best way to guide and protect them. But he's never met a family like this before.
I think most of the difference is that homeschoolers can let their hair down and they don't have to get out of their pajamas or leave the house. That's all I can find, anyway....

Thank goodness Mrs. Van Alstyne can't read this, or she would slay me in the spirit with malicious intent beforehand. Especially as she wouldn't want the Parkers to hear it come Judgment Day.

~Homeschool Diaries, by Schuyler M.

Blessings,
Schuyler

14 comments:

  1. I think my favorite snippet is the fourth. It's just so -- so perfect. I too hope that there will be a physical book in the future, but I also look forward to your other writing projects. (Are you still planning to do Camp NaNo, btw?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the peace in that church scene. :)

      I'm excited to share other writing projects with you! I do hope to do Camp NaNo in June, but not a full 50K--probably 35K or thereabouts. :) If I can get some good planning done in May!

      Delete
  2. Love it. :D Looking forward to hearing more of HD. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I shall have to go back and reread the book again as these snippets have sparked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a lot of new ones! Can't wait to see what you think of them. :D

      Delete
  4. I loved the snippet with Starlin and Terry playing chess. xD And the first one and the one with Terry and Pearlie and Jaeryn. :D

    Looking forward to HD snippets!! Love your subtitle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my day to be able to put that (albeit abridged) chess scene back in. It was one of my favorites in the original draft....

      Anion is on the move. :P

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  5. "Even a man such as myself can suffer the effects of--conscience." is my favourite, but they're all good. :) Are you planning to publish and print 'War of Loyalties' sometime?
    Looking forward to hearing more about the other writing projects you mentioned too! :)
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. Glad you liked that quote! It is a fun one in context. :) I am going to try traditional publishing, so hope to spend the summer querying agents. I'll give it my best shot, and if it doesn't work out I'll go indie--but I'm praying that I can find agents and publishers in the near future. So yes, definitely publication--just don't know which form it will be in yet!

      God bless, Jessica! :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful snippets, Schuyler! :)) They are ever so tantalising and I just sense the mood is so. . . electric and tense. These are *really* good.
    Ohh, and I really thought this one was quite a profound snippet: "Success is poorly bought at the expense of truth. But I'm beginning to think you would do anything for success."

    Excellent work, Schuyler! I also look forward to your new writing projects, like the Homeschool Diaries :). It will *be* sad that we won't see more "War of Loyalty" snippets in the near future, but I would still love to hear updates whenever you have any :).

    Blessings, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis tense. 'Tis electric. Your life will never be the same. *fair warning*

      In all seriousness, I am glad you enjoyed them, and I am very much looking forward to sharing Homeschool Diaries with you all in a couple of weeks! Though I, too, will be sorry for the War of Loyalties hiatus. Thank-you for loving it so much. <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...