Friday, August 7, 2015

August Novella Snippets



Hello there, folks! Today I'm excited to share another round of snippets with you. I've been cutting back on snippets due to possible restrictions in the publishing industry. It makes me sad, because I love sharing them with you all, but I don't want to burn future bridges. However, with the writing conversation posts and character interviews, I hope to keep sharing little bits here and there. Follow my Twitter account if you want a weekly poster on Wednesdays, and feel free to pin and reshare those posters as you like. :)

This month I've been working on a new novella, and as it occurred to me that I haven't shared novella snippets, I'm going to share some from 2 different short stories. One is set in 1700s Scotland, and one on a modern-day Caribbean cruise. Enjoy!

 ~


It was a tall, plastic drinking glass from the dining-room, filled to the brim with chocolate milk. That creamy, store-bought kind, which must have something absolutely abominable in it to make it taste that good. It looked so delicious I wanted to bury my face in it and drink it in one long gulp. 
~Cruise Novella

Tad sighed and shifted impatiently, wrapping his coat around the powder horn. The drizzling mist had frozen out any form of patriotism he had felt that morning. Now all he wanted was revenge on the rebel Highlanders for making him endure this torment.
~Hope That You Remember Me  

Colby's brown eyes twinkled with amusement. 
"He'll answer to most anything. Ace. Cowboy. Godzilla. The Hunk."
 Julian frowned and shoved water in his face. 
~Cruise Novella

"Here." He reached in his pocket and pulled up something on his phone. Then he pressed that and the earbuds into my hands. "Listen to Psalm 91. That'll send you off."
~Cruise Novella 

He choked out an inarticulate cry and tried to pin the attacker's arms to his sides. But the lithe, strong man ducked out of his grip and slashed again with the dirk from the bicep to the wrist.
 ~Hope That You Remember Me 

That day--well, I will never forget it. Or the day after. Hour after hour was so precious, I wanted to suspend them in mid-air on a blue velvet cushion and put a glass case over them. 
~Cruise Novella

Randall held his gaze, like a master testing the mettle of a horse he was riding. "I can't carry you." A murmuring shout rose from the fires, and black shadows shifted wildly about it. "You'll have to run. Now set a stiff pace, and I'll follow."
~Hope That You Remember Me

Julian slid into the booth with a plate of sweet pickles and beef jerky. I turned up my nose at it.
"Your loss, Princess," he jeered.
~Cruise Novella

It occurred to me, with his soft voice and muscled frame, that he looked incredibly sweet and incredibly manly, and I would be proud to call him friend.
~Cruise Novella

"Then if you please, send someone to fetch my violin. I have a filthy song to play out of my head, and I'd like to do it as soon as possible."
~Hope That You Remember Me 

"Oh, you were all right," Colby reassured me. "I've never seen anyone do it better. Er--prettier. Er--" He subsided into silence under Julian's stern glare. "Sorry," he wheezed out, in lamb-like repentance. 
~Cruise Novella

 A cheer went around the circle. The tankards clinked, and a rumbling baritone filled in the boy's high pipe on the chorus.
Hey, Johnnie Cope, are ye wauking yet? 
Or are your drums a-beating yet? 
If ye were wauking I wad wait 
To gang to the coals i' the morning.
~Hope That You Remember Me

Julian folded his elbows and looked so long over the rail, I almost thought he wasn't going to answer. "I think it's wonderful. You can't see eternity, or touch it, but God gave it to us to hear."
~Cruise Novella

"Don't you see? Music is cursed when you cannot sing with your heart in it."
~Hope That You Remember Me

"Want to try an experiment? I've never been just friends with a girl, and I'd like to try it."
"That sounds positively sixth grade," Colby said.
~Cruise Novella

18 comments:

  1. Dear Schuyler,

    I love these! I laughed frequently. :P Too bad that you can't share more because of publishing, but of course that's perfectly understandable.

    "That creamy, store-bought kind, which must have something absolutely abominable in it to make it taste that good." Rofl.

    "Don't you see? Music is cursed when you cannot sing with your heart in it." -- I love that. ;)

    "Here." He reached in his pocket and pulled up something on his phone. Then he pressed that and the earbuds into my hands. "Listen to Psalm 91. That'll send you off." -- *Humph* about the phone and earbuds. :P And Psalm 91 -- very good psalm that I love...especially if something traumatic is going to happen. We read it a few months ago right after that traffic accident. ;)

    Julian folded his elbows and looked so long over the rail, I almost thought he wasn't going to answer. "I think it's wonderful. You can't see eternity, or touch it, but God gave it to us to hear." -- That's beautiful.

    Poor Tad with the Highlanders. :P ;)

    "That sounds positively sixth grade," Colby said. -- Hilarious. :D

    Hope you're having a good remainder of the week, m'dear!
    Love,
    Kyla <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kyla,
      I'm so glad you laughed. I have laughed so much over this story in a golden kind of way. :) I don't think I could have written it without the friendships the Lord has blessed me with.

      You picked out my favorite quotes with Julian from this post. ;) You'll like his smartphone. You won't be able to help yourself. :P

      And that chocolate milk was too funny. XD

      We had a lovely week. Time to see the museum, to read, to finish this cruise novella, and to relax with the family. I feel very blessed. Hope you had a good week as well!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  2. Your snippets are always so gorgeous! I look forward to seeing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. *blushes* Thank-you so much, Aimee.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I find the music snippet quite intriguing!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Scottish Culloden novella told from the English perspective. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Ashley Harrison is a fun character. :)

      Delete
  4. I was excited to see another snippets post. I hadn't heard of the Caribbean story before this...Colby and Julian seem like fun fellows. But I have a soft spot for the Scottish wars. ;)

    Are you going to make a Pinterest board for your cruise novella? I really enjoy your board for Hope That You Remember Me.

    ~Elisabeth

    P.S. The bit about the dirk in the fifth quote made me squirm. That's not nice! *shiver*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Caribbean story is a new venture, and one I've very much enjoyed. It, like all my other stories, is unlike anything I've ever done before. :) I hope you enjoy it! But yes, you might like the Scottish novella more.

      I have a secret board for Cruise novella, actually. I don't know if I'll go public or not. But after you read the story I'll tell you who the actors are!

      Ohh, that dirk quote is a squirmy bit. I didn't realize how..um..violent it sounded. It's a cool scene in the story, though. :)

      Thanks for commenting. <3

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  5. These quotes make me happy. :mm:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your happiness makes me very happy. :mm: Countdown is on for it to appear in your inbox!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing, Schuyler! Great quotes. :) I especially like this one: "Don't you see? Music is cursed when you cannot sing with your heart in it."
    ~Hope That You Remember Me
    I smiled when I read that. So true. :)

    And this one, my dear Lady Bibliophile... I don't think I shall comment. :P

    "Want to try an experiment? I've never been just friends with a girl, and I'd like to try it."
    "That sounds positively sixth grade," Colby said.
    ~Cruise Novella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't comment? Lizzy lass! :P Colby is a dear fellow, and I love him.

      Delete
  7. The next-to-last one definitely gives a lot to think about.
    And the last one is hilarious. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley Harrison is the only character I've had to ever 'think' in music. Whenever he is happy or sad, he starts composing notes in his mind based on what he's feeling. He takes music very seriously. :)

      And I'm glad you liked the last one. I think it's funny, too. XD

      Delete
  8. These are wonderful snippets, dear Schuyler, and I love them all ^_^. I honestly can't choose a favourite, they're all so well-written and intriguing. Well done!

    That line made me laugh: That creamy, store-bought kind, which must have something absolutely abominable in it to make it taste that good. You know I've been studying Nutrition Science lately, so that tickled my fancy, haha!

    I also loved the imagery you created in this snippet from your Cruise Novella :) -
    That day--well, I will never forget it. Or the day after. Hour after hour was so precious, I wanted to suspend them in mid-air on a blue velvet cushion and put a glass case over them. What a splendid image! I love it!

    Also your 17000s Scottish tale intrigues me a lot, and it has me thinking it will be a rather heart-wrenching and moving tale if these snippets are anything to go by! And this one pleased me ridiculously:
    "Then if you please, send someone to fetch my violin. I have a filthy song to play out of my head, and I'd like to do it as soon as possible."

    :D

    Speaking of "Hope that You Remember Me" - is that title inspired from Ed Shereen's "I See Fire" end credit song for "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"? It reminds me of it! It speaks of a lot of emotions and heart-break. I can't wait to read it!!

    These are all so good, Schuyler, and it is really true that with each snippets post I feel your writing progressing and maturing even within the limits of a few lines. You write beautifully, dear. Keep up the wonderful work!

    Lots of love and prayers xox <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I always love hearing from you on snippets posts. I'm glad you see improvement from each time--after all, that's the goal of writing! :D I can't wait to share these stories with you sometime.

      Hope that You Remember Me is inspired by I See Fire. ;) You caught me out! I have been told it must be an action story, so I am trying to keep it fast-paced with those gut-wrenching Schuyler twists. We'll see!

      Thank-you for your prayers. They are precious to me. Love you! <3

      Delete
  9. Love these. <3 I can't wait to read Beach Novella--it seems like it shall be lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...