Friday, August 21, 2015

Diary of a Jackwagon, by Tim Hawkins

They say variety is the spice of life. One week you get reviews of epic Middle English poetry, and the next we go straight to modern comedy in Tim Hawkins' Diary of a...um...Jackwagon.

Jackwagon: (definitions provided by Tim)
1, a mule-drawn military freight wagon pieced together from discarded parts, which frequently breaks down
2. a person with no special intelligence, skill, talent, or rank who routinely messes things up
3. me

The Book
For those of you who have seen his comedy skits, you'll recognize lots of the funny punchlines, but there were plenty of stories I hadn't read before. Each chapter talks about a different subject: Blinker Fluid, Nook and Cranny, Krispy Kremes (like eating baby angels, people!) and Kid-Friendly are among a few of the subjects. Full of random thoughts, funny stories, and lots of laugh-out-loud moments, you won't want to miss Tim's comedy in written form. 

My Thoughts: 
I opened this book as soon as it came in the mail. It was my night to cook. Supper was late. 

It was also the night to attend Bible study. I was late for that too. 

I had a glorious four days of snickering, reading snippets aloud to the family, and laughing until I couldn't stop crying. (That was the chapter with Cracker Barrel in it--but the one about growing older was just great, too.) Tim Hawkins combines lots of stories about his wife, his kids, himself, health, church, and travelling into a hilarious quick read. 

We're closet fans of his, pulling up comedy shorts on his YouTube channel and hooking them up to our TV when we want a relaxing evening. We've seen everything from Homeschool Blues to handraising signals in church. Our family is huge on reenacting things we love, and inserting his quotes at just the right moments in our daily life. When I saw the book, I got it so I could have all this gold mine of comedy in written form to read to my family and make them laugh.

At the end of each chapter he includes a couple of "Tweet Thoughts"--bites of comedy in one sentence. Important things like, "Let your "yes" be "yes" and your "no" be "I'll pray about it." and "When somebody asks me to do something I say "no worries," which means I'm not going to worry about not doing it." Also, in the back of the book, he includes a one-page chart of the names for hand-raising signals in church. Which I think is awesome.

The only chapter I didn't read was Christian Cuss Words. Colonoscopy probably wasn't the best one either.

It's not a book that will deepen your faith, teach you grand insights into hidden meanings in Scripture, or smack on the cheesy Christianese after each comedy skit. It's just exactly what it sounds like: a book that aims to make you laugh.

Laughter can be another form of healing in church and family. So that's a grand purpose in and of itself. I hope you enjoy Diary of a Jackwagon as much as I did.

I received a free copy of this book from Book Look Bloggers in exchange for an honest review. 

2 comments:

  1. And we're glad you requested this book! We've loved having you share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing funny stories with the family is just my cup of tea. ^_^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...