Friday, August 28, 2015

In Which We Have Two Parties

Yes! Y'all get an extra post this week. We've had two blog parties in the last two weeks, and both ladies offered a blog tag if we wanted to join the fun. So today I'm chiming in with answers for The Herosinger and Curious Wren. Have some cupcakes and settle down for a nice read.



The Herosinger Party Tag (by Emily Hayse--check out my interview with her here.)

1. Coffee or tea?
I have had one cup of coffee (thanks to Emily, actually), and need to drink it more before it becomes a firm taste. So for now I will say tea.

2. Rainy days or sunny days?
I love the sunshine early in the morning, when it is fresh and new. But I think I love a cozy day in a warm house with the rain outside even more.

3. What is one food you couldn’t live without?
We make up our own refried beans. And I could eat refried bean burritos pretty much any time of day. Also pasta salad. Or pizza.

4. Give three words that describe you.
Dignified. Kind. Introvert.

5. What would you do if you had a free hour and could do anything you wanted to?
Watching a movie is such a treat, and such a rare treat, that I would probably try to do that. Other options might be writing, coloring in my coloring book, or taking a nap. (That sounded so...10 years ago.)

6. What is your favorite book-to-movie adaption?
That's such an agonizing question. Currently I'm really enjoying any chance I get to see the 2014 Mike Newell adaptation of Great Expectations. It's a 2hr awesome, awesome capture of Dickens rambling story. It hits all my favorite points, has the most accurate 3rd act sequence of any Great Expectations movie I've seen, and pulls out the poignancy of Estella's story in a fresh way.

7. If there was one location from a book you could go to, where would it be?
I have a book I've written. And I'm scheming and dreaming to get to Folkestone, England sometime before I'm too much older. It is a beautiful spot on the southern cost of England, not too far from the white cliffs of Dover.

8. If you could meet one character from a book, who would it be?
I answered in the comments on Emily's original post, and said I would love to meet Alan Breck from Kidnapped. I have always wanted to wander the Highlands with him and Davie (I know, if I was not a girl. I wouldn't go if I was a girl.) And when I was little, I had lots of adventures with them in my mind.

9. If you could ask one author of the past a question, who would it be? What would you ask?
I would ask Charles Dickens who killed Edwin Drood. An author shouldn't die with a mystery novel unfinished.

10. If you could change one event you didn’t like in a book, what would it be?
This has spoilers. I always lamented the death of Steerforth in David Copperfield. In fact, I realized the other day that one of my long loved characters is a shameless copy of Steerforth. It wasn't my intention, but I think that hidden wound came out. He should have lived, and repented, and healed.

(That was a happy party cheer, wasn't it? Should have remembered the handkerchiefs.)


Curious Wren Party Tag (by Annie Hawthorne--check out my interview with her here.)

1. What was the last book you read, and would you recommend it?
Martin D. Gilbert's The First World War. A huge 500 page doorstopper, but considering the war lasted 5 years (or more) it's really a modest length. He does an excellent job of balancing government and private motives, war and homefront happenings, the armies of the different countries, and the private struggles of various commanders and soldiers. The poetry he included throughout is a heartbreaking look at what war does to soldiers. I would totally recommend it, and plan to post an in-depth review on Tuesday.

2. Describe the perfect reading spot.
On my bed. It has a pastel green bedspread with pink roses. When I remember to put the shade up, the sun comes in early in the morning. I have lots of pillows to recline on, and a stack of afghans at the foot of the bed if I want to be extra cozy.

3. Favorite book beverage? Tea? Coffee? Hot chocolate? Tears of your readers?
*evil chuckle* Just you wait, little miss Annie. For now, I'll settle for hot cocoa or hot cider. But I don't like drinking beverages around books, and I only drink water if I can help it.

4. Share favorite quotes from four books.
"Die?" she flamed. "Die, if I tell you that! [...spoilers...] You just try dying and you'll get a good slap!" ~Freckles, by Gene Stratton Porter

"I would gladly learn how this creeping Smeagol become possessed of the Thing of which we speak, and how he lost it, but I will not trouble you now. If ever beyond hope you return to the lands of the living and we re-tell our tales, sitting by a wall in the sun, laughing at old grief, you shall tell me then." ~The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien

"And that's the whole poem," he said. "Do you like it, Piglet?"
"All except the shillings," said Piglet. "I don't think they ought to be there."
"They wanted to come in after the pounds," explained Pooh, "so I let them. It is the best way to write poetry, letting things come."
"Oh, I didn't know," said Piglet.
~The House At Pooh Corner, by A.A. Milne.

"I have kept the thatch on Tara," Finn said. ~The High Deeds of Finn MacCool, by Rosemary Sutcliff

5. What is your most loved fantasy read? Dystopia? Contemporary? Sci-fi? Classic?
I've never read dystopia, contemporary, or sci-fi. (Any sci-fi recommendations, people?) So I'll stick with classic. Tolkien, Lewis, Stengl, and Patrick W. Carr are all favorites.

6. List three authors you’ve collected the most books from.
I have only to look on my beautiful new bookshelves! Dickens and Martha Finley have the most, with Ellis Peters and Micheal Phillips tied for third.

7. What are your thoughts on magic in literature?
Hmm. I like it to be clear-cut (the good guys have certain powers, and the bad guys have certain powers) but I don't mind it being there. I like it to be deeply thought out by the author, not just slapped in because that's what they've seen in other fantasy books. I think it's important to maintain moral retribution for good and bad acts, and I prefer humans/souls/individual identities to be created by the God-figure, not created by lesser beings.

8. What types of book covers capture your imagination most strongly? Feel free to include images.
I will say that one benefit of fantasy books are the really pretty covers. Somehow fantasy titles have more epic covers than regular historical/contemporary ones. But I also love the Michael Phillips era of Bethany House covers, and a few dear favorite stories as follows:




9. Mention the first book character that comes to mind. Elaborate on this.
Martha Finley got Elsie Dinsmore stuck in my head. That's sad. I wanted something a little more epic. She's a good girl, she doesn't cry nearly as much after book 3, and I have very fond memories of reading about her with my dad. I think girls are too critical of her submissive spirit. There. I have elaborated.

10. Do you lend out your books? Or is that the equivalent to giving away your babies?
I...prefer not to. That is like lending out a dear friend. Unless I can trust the person to give it back in a timely fashion, I'm not likely to offer, much as I love them. 

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful answers, Schuyler! I love refried beans so much. I especially like them with tacos, but honestly, I could probably just eat a whole bowl with nothing else added.

    I must see the Mike Newell adaptation now that you've recommended it as I love Great Expectations and pretty much every book I've read from Dickens.

    Oh, wow. You've actually read The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I feel like not many people know about it, so it's exciting to see someone else who has read it. I think I read that book when I was ten or eleven and I was thoroughly creeped out. And then I saw an adaptation of it and I was even more creeped out. That scarf... *shudders*'

    Also, the fact that you mentioned Dickens a million times in this post made me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirits, Ana! I think you and I could share L.M. Montgomery's Patty's Place and get along very well. :)

      I have not read Edwin Drood, actually. I own two copies, and I've done a lot of reading on the various theories, but I have to read the whole book. The movie looks really spooky!

      Dickens is the best. He's my favorite all time author. :D

      Delete
  2. Fun tag! Love those book covers.

    Sci-fi recommendations - anything by Timothy Zahn. I love his Icarus Hunt (which is kind of sci-fi/mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Jenelle! I will check those out. :D

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading through this tag and seeing your answers, Schuyler. This was a very fun post. :D
    Whaa?? You don't lend out books and 'share the love'?? :P I'm surprised, Schuyler! :chuckle:

    Thanks for sharing your answers with us, Schuyler!

    Love,
    Lizzy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Lizzy!

      Haha, well, they're friends of mine, you know? I only send friends to safe places. :wasntme: But I do faithfully encourage people to get copies of their own--one time I was at a book table and sold a series to a husband, and then to his wife, without knowing they were connected. They were able to return one of the copies though. :P

      Love,
      Schuyler <3

      Delete
  4. A truly fun tag, Schuyler! It's funny because I was talking with my uni friend about the different Great Expectations adaptions this week in fact, and were discussing in great length which ones might be best, without coming to a good decision (both of us hadn't seen all the good adaptions yet). I've seen the one with Ioan Gruffurd and enjoyed it though I don't know how accurate it is to the original book (I haven't read it yet). I haven't seen the very new one yet, but I shall have to check it out :) (Is it the one with Helena Bohem Carter?)

    Ah, Steeforth - I am currently reading "David Copperfield" right now but I have seen an adaption with Hugh Dancy in it, so I am familiar with the story. His story-line wasn't quite developed in that adaption, so I'd be eager to know more about him in the book (and I am intrigued about the Dickens-character).

    I love the sound of your reading spot- so relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ioan Gruffudd made a wonderful Pip. That made a great adaptation. The 3rd act is a slight deviation, with Pip going to debtor's prison, which I wasn't happy with. But I thought they did an excellent job. The 1980s is the most long and accurate, and I highly recommend that one!

      Delete
  5. I love the double tag! For some reason I love seeing people answer interesting questions. :) Your four quotes are great. It's hard to beat those four authors. :) Wow, your Dickens/Edwin Drood answer is stellar! There is nothing worse than a mystery unfinished, unless perhaps, it is one written by Dickens! I like your choice for a place to go--please take me to Folkstone with you! (Pretty please?)
    -E.H. ;)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tags were so fun! I loved your and Annie's questions!

      Yes, yes!! You must come. It wouldn't be the same without you. <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...