Friday, September 25, 2015

Autumn TBR List



Annie Hawthorne wrote out her Autumn To Be Read list over at Curious Wren this week, and I liked the idea so much, I'm going to do it over here as well. Most of these books are new, one is an old favorite--all seem to be perfect for this time of year.


A Cast of Stones, by Patrick Carr

Patrick Carr's thoughtful choice of words and exciting tension-release plotting keep me coming back to this book. I savor the same paragraphs and same characters every time I read it. Errol's journey and coming-to-manhood has the best characterization arc I've ever read.

The Butterfly and the Violin, by Kristy Cambron



I got to meet Kristy Cambron a week ago, and she was so sweet I couldn't wait to try out her book. The main character is a lady violinist in WW2 Germany--that's a recipe for a gripping, and I'm sure, heart-wrenching story.



Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens

I've been waiting on this book for way too long--a couple of years, in fact. It's next in my Dickens pile, and I can't wait to dive into another kaleidoscope of Dickensian twists and vivid characters.

7 Women and the Secret of Their Greatness, by Eric Metaxas



This book contains Corrie Ten Boom (one of my personal heroes) Joan of Arc (he'd better be nice to John of Bedford), Hannah Moore, and a host of other worthy ladies that are worth imitating. I'm so glad he decided to do a companion book to 7 Men!

Storming, by K.M. Weiland

While this will be my first time with steampunk, from past experience I know that anything by Katie is bound to be good. Can't wait--airshows, red ballgowns, and high stakes for adventure!

Waterfall, by Lisa T. Bergren



At the request of a homeschool mom, I picked up Lisa T. Bergren's Waterfall, the first book in a fantasy series based in Italy. We shall see!

You Never Stop Being a Parent, by Jim Newheiser and Elyse Fitzpatrick



This was a birthday gift. It's got some excellent, Biblical advice for parenting the 18-23 age range, but also I think some reverse advice for living at home during those years. Look out for it on the blog in coming weeks.

Let Me Be a Woman, by Elisabeth Elliot



I've never read an Elisabeth Elliot book. In light of her passing this year, I look forward to soaking in her words of wisdom and learning much from them.


So many books to read, but these are on top of my stack! What's on your TBR list for autumn? Tell me in the comments or post a link to your own blog. I'd love to see your choices. :D

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the upcoming reviews! I liked this post. Happy fall reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! You'll have to tell me what's on your stack this fall. :) <3

      Delete
  2. A fantastic TBR list for autumn, Schuyler! A lot of the books in this pile made me smile - "A Cast of Stones" was indeed a great book, I have the second novel "The Hero's Lot" for my TBR this season; and yay! I am glad you're finally trying out Kristy Cambron's Masterpiece series - I loved the historical part of "Butterfly and the Violin" and "A Sparrow in Terezin" a lot, though I was a little less keen with the contemporary story-arc (keen to know your thoughts on that when you read it). Adelle being a violinist was definitely a winning-point for me, as I identified a lot with her :). There are some emotional moments!

    Oooh, "Our Mutual Friend" - I haven't read this Dickens book yet, but I only very recently watched the tv adaption (1998) and it was really good and intense. A bit dark and grim in parts, especially in one of the plots - but it had very three-dimensional characters in it, and I was quite in a suspence as I watched the episodes!! Headstone is a very dark character, I hated the parts with him in it though. It was made worse because he was played by David Morrissey (the chap who played Brandon in Sense and Sensibility 2008) and I had a hard time reconciling the two characters together :P. Haha, but I'd love to read the book sometime. . . right now I am reading "David Copperfield", or rather I was, but I put it aside for a while to read some other books so I really want to pick it up again soon.

    Hope you enjoy "Let Me Be a Woman" :). Elisabeth Elliot is definitely an author worth the time invested with her. I've a few of her books I'd like to read in the coming months as well.

    Happy autumn reading, Schuyler, and I look forward to your upcoming reviews as you read each book ^_^.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in your opinion on The Hero's Lot when you're done! And I'm definitely wanting to do a review after The Butterfly and the Violin--I think I bought it mostly for the historical arc like you said. :D

      I knoooow, I'm so sad David played a villain part--but I've heard this book is so epic, that I can't wait to read it! And my mom liked the movie, so I'm looking forward to watching that after I read the book.

      I can't wait to read Let Me Be a Woman! You were so sweet to send it to me. <3

      Delete
  3. Dear Schuyler,

    That looks like a great list! Elisabeth Elliot is wonderful, and so is Our Mutual Friend. I'll be interested to see what you think of the Eric Metaxas book. There were a couple women I was surprised to see on the list (one of them being Joan of Arc). I'd like to discuss that once you've read it.

    I didn't put any re-reads on my fall TBR list, as those usually happen naturally for me without being asked. :) I was, however, excited to hear that there is to be a community read of The Song of Roland by several of you blogging ladies at the end of the year. I love that poem and I may join you all....

    Here are my new reads:
    Moby Dick, Pendragon's Heir, Troilus and Cressida, Till We Have Faces, The Legend of Sigrid and Gudrun, A Tale of Two Cities, The Faerie Queen, Piers Plowman, and Augustine's City of God.

    I'll have to see how many I actually get through.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about Eric Metaxas, but it's not letting me log onto my account to request a review copy. Agony!!

      Your list sounds epic. A Tale of Two Cities is a very quick, beautiful read. The Faerie Queene is best to devote yourself to exclusively (or I found it so) so as to keep chugging through. And after Friday, I'm thinking I'll have to put City of God on my list, too!

      I'd love if you came on here for a guest post or two when you're done with some of these. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...