Friday, December 11, 2015

Ain't We Got Fun

Ever since I first caught wind of Ain't We Got Fun, I've had a longing to read it. It looked like a lot of fun. The cover design is one of the nicest covers I've ever seen for a historical indie fiction, and the authors posted several charming interviews when their book released that made me want to read it even more. When I saw it on the list of Black Friday books from indie authors, I picked it up right away.

I read it all in one Sunday afternoon, and ever since, I've been walking around in a happy glow. It was everything I wanted and more.

The Book (from Amazon)
It was never much of an issue for Bess: living contentedly on her family's farm, despite the Depression which loomed around them. But when her older sister Georgiana takes off to New York City to make a fortune and help Papa out, feelings of adventure and wanderlust strike Bess at home. Through their lively letter correspondence, the sisters recount to one another their adventures, surprises, and heartaches, leaving little room for depression. For in a world of such wonder, ain't we got fun?

My Thoughts 
Both sets of letters are equally dear. It's one of those split POVs that works to a charm. Georgiana and Bess are quite different--one spunky and independent trying to make her way in New York, the other with an endearing love for the people and places she's always known. In spite of their differences, their sisterly connection and love for each other forms a common bond. 

Ain't We Got Fun has a tight plot, engaging characters, and a beautiful story of growth and adventure. I think what I love most is how all the plot points have a simple familiarity that combines to make a beautiful whole. Their writing makes me think of Louisa May Alcott in many respects (rather fun, because the Little Women theme is a common one). They write with a faithfulness to what the genre and the time period require, and the talent of their creativity shows more and more as the story goes on. With every letter I was like "Yes! Yes! It's so delightful and homey and fun, exactly like I thought and hoped it would be." 

The romance is light and sweet and entirely appropriate. Each sister has a beau, equally different according to their personalities. I loved Willoughby and Georgiana with the Broadway shows and ice skating, and Tom and Bess holding down the home fort with dances and pancakes and hair ribbons. 

It was a story I felt intimately at home in. As if I was welcomed into their little world and could watch it unfolding and rejoice in all the things that happened along the way. I'm definitely going to read it again, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a relaxing story of family and light romance. Bravo, ladies, on an excellent piece of plotting, characterization, and cover design!  I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and I hope you collaborate again in future!  

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed AWGF, Schuyler! Thank you for the lovely review! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Emily! Your good craftsmanship deserved it. :D I loved your book, and will definitely be looking out for more!

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  2. I really want to read this. ^_^ It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can! Let me know when you want to borrow it. You'll love it. ^_^

      Delete
  3. I've seen this book around on the internet, but I had a vastly different idea of what it's like. But now I know and I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. I heartily enjoyed it, and I hope you do too! :)

      Delete
  4. The cover is quite beautiful! I like the hazy-sort of feeling, all worm and cozy. And, the book itself sounds like something that I would enjoy. Thank you for reviewing it. :)
    ~Aidyl from Noveltea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're like me, those cozy stories are perfect to curl up with. :) Glad it piqued your interest!

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  5. Yes! I read 'Ain't We Got Fun' when the authors first posted the letters on their blogs. I enjoyed it a lot, so I'm hoping to get a paperback copy someday in the not-too-far-distant future! It has that real home-y feel to it, as you mentioned, is just basically a happy book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want a paperback too. It's so good, it's one I definitely want to hold and flip through, re-reading my favorite parts. :) I liked the way you described it as a happy book!

      Delete
  6. Aw, I really want to read this novella! I read some of the letters on the authors blogs, and they were just marvellous. . . it seems like such a cozy, sweet story that rings true because of the themes of home and sisterhood! Glad you liked it, Schuyler :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does! I love those two sisters and how they have that sweet interaction like Little Women. :) You'll love it, Joy.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...