Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Desert Island Tag

A nice island with sand and sky. 
 Joy C tagged me over at her lovely blog Fullness of Joy for the Desert Island tag. In this, you share eight books you would wish to have with you if you were stranded on a desert island. Thus, as follows:

(And certainly not Robinson Crusoe, which bores me to tears every time I think about it.)

1. The Bible.
I think that would keep me busy without the seven other choices. Preferably one with good study notes and helps, but any one will do so long as it's a good translation.

2. Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
Because Herbert Pocket and "what larks" and this beautiful, beautiful story of biblical justice and mercy will always be one of my favorite novels ever.

(Actually I could probably throw in seven Dickens novels and be happy, but we must not do rash things.)

3. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
I could read all my favorite Samwise bits and study things and think about things, and it would be just 'eavenly, as Maggie would say.

4. Sherlock Holmes, the complete works, by Arthur Conan Doyle
I've been working on "re-reading" Sherlock Holmes for years, and I would finally have time to get it done. I am a Holmes geek. I actually read a Sherlock Holmes commentary before a Bible commentary, for which I am ashamed.

*adds to list of things to scold oneself about*

(I do study the Bible much more than Sherlock Holmes though, just to salvage my reputation. Sherlock Holmes commentaries were once in the dear dead days beyond recall, When We Were Very Young. Brownie points for the references.)

In looking around for pretty island photos,
sis said "Schuyler, it would probably look like this."
5. The Pilgrim of Hate, by Ellis Peters
Basically my favorite mystery book ever. Monk detectives. Justice. Nighttime chases. O.o

6. The House at Pooh Corner, by A.A. Milne
One might need a Comforting Sort of Book if one is on a Very Small Island. And when I outgrow my love of Milne, I will be beyond all hope.

And now I am seriously down to TWO BOOKS and I'm not nearly finished yet. Ahhhh.

7. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet Spy, by Eric Metaxas
I want to read the unabridged version again so badly and I just haven't had time. I love that book.

Stares at Freckles, Kidnapped, To Have and to Hold, Jane of Lantern Hill, and The Fisherman's Lady

8. I just can't decide. One of the above options, whichever came handiest before the ship sank. They are all too precious to split up. It would break my heart and motivate me to get off this island as soon as possible so I could return to them.

No. Wait. I think I know....

8. A very thick, very large blank notebook, which I could fill with stories.

And there you have it.


If this tag looks like fun to you, feel free to grab it for your own blog, or tell me your choices in the comments! I'd love to see your answers. :)

13 comments:

  1. Your desert island seems very...desert-y. How about the island that the Swiss Family Robinson was shipwrecked on? Now, THERE'S an island!

    Speaking of islands and Robinson Crusoe--do you remember the year that we seemed to read Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe, and the Mysterious Islands all fairly close together? We all got a little jumpy for a while about books that had anything to do with water and sailing. What larks we had then, indeed. Back in the Dear Dead Days Beyond Recall.....

    Your book selection is wonderful, which is no surprise whatsoever. :) It was fun to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shipwrecked with family would be even better. XD Oh, yes, I remember those books! And if I was very practical, I'd probably bring The Mysterious Island with me. It has everything you need to know about everything under the sun.

      You could bring George Washington's Sacred Fire.... :wasntme:

      Delete
    2. Oh, goodness. I would need a check-in bag just for that book alone. If I've got room, I'll stow a few other things in it, too. :)

      Delete
  2. I got the Winnie the Pooh reference!! Do I get brownie points? Fun tag... I may have to steal it... but to keep it to eight books, well, that will be difficult. At least we get to choose more than 1 or 3, which is the usual number thrown out there in this hypothetical scenario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fudgey brownies for you*

      I'd love to see your answers!!

      Delete
  3. Love this! :D

    I'm thinking I might have to make GREAT EXPECTATIONS my next Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! It is my favorite. Keep me posted if you read it!

      Delete
  4. I laughed reading this, and I think your last choice is most perfect. :D I wouldn't mind being stranded on a desert island with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it gave you a laugh. :D And oh my goodness, I think I'd get stranded on purpose if we could do it together! <3

      Delete
  5. Oh, it's interesting to read what you would take! I did the tag too, and picked a couple of the same books! I like your choice of 'The House at Pooh Corner' too - Winnie-the-Pooh was always one of my favourites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives you for choosing a blank journal too*

      I loved seeing your tag as well! There are some books on your list I'd love to look up. :)

      Delete
  6. Let's be stranded on an island together, so I can bring eight books too so we can share.
    And I would bring along a wilderness survival manual. I think it would be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a good chuckle over this post, and *cough cough* your wish to avoid desert-y stories made me smile :D. The first two books that came to my mind over this tag were undoubtedly "Robinson Crusoe" and "The Swiss Family Robinson" also! Both books I read more than once for our homeschool curriculum, and though I love them individually they are a bit . . . well, they get old and stale after a while ;).

    But I love your choice of the books you'd take along with you! I totally second your choices of the Bible and The Lord of the Rings, (I'd be happy to spend years with just those two ;); but hey! Sherlock Holmes! How fun would that be? It's been ages since I've read all the stories, and I miss them so much. . . Ooh, who was the author of that commentary? I want to read it!! (but first, we should read the Bible commentaries together) *grins and shoves a Bible commentary into Schuyler's hands*

    Ah, I need to read an Elias Peters mystery. . . and of course Dickens! *smiles* It wouldn't be a Schuyler post without Dickens in it somewhere ^_^.

    I'm actually really curious why "Great Expectations" is your favourite novel by him - is there a particular reason for that? I only started watching an adaption a while ago with Ioan Gruffard, but haven't pulled out the book yet - I want to do so soon though!

    And as several previous ladies said, it would be a whole heap more fun if we were deserted on a desert island together and shared all the books! :D

    Fun post, Schuyler, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...