Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Bibliophile Tote Bag (Guest Post)

During the holiday season, I'll be posting only on Tuesdays (22nd and 29th), to give extra time for rest and break. This week, I'm delighted to showcase a new treasure and a guest post by my mom, Krista. She just completed this bag for me, which I'm SO proud of, and I knew all you book lovers would love to take a look at it too!




Lady B turned a year older back in September.   To commemorate the occasion, I wanted to make something special for her.    What can one craft for a bibliophile?   There are really a great deal of options!  Since one of my creative pastimes is sewing bags, I decided to combine my creative passion with hers--sewing and books.  What follows is what I made and a little bit of how I did it.

Browsing through a fabric shop to me is very similar to what browsing through a book shop is for bibliophiles.  On one of my just-there-for-fun trips last summer, I found a book-themed novelty fabric that seemed to be perfect.    I already had a pattern in mind that would be a good fit for the design. On a subsequent shopping trip, I came across a script fabric that was in keeping with the theme (writing...books...reading...they seemed to me to correlate).    The lining fabric itself was originally a much lighter background.  I decided to tea-dye it with Earl Gray tea to give it more of a patina and render it more practical for everyday use.  For anyone interested in the nitty-gritty details, I am including a list of specs at the end of this post.

I wish I could say that on the day of Lady B's birthday, I presented her with this gift, beautifully wrapped.  However, that was not the case.    It wasn't to be finished  in time, so I wrapped it up (beautifully, but in pieces) and gave it to her to show my good intentions.  It helped to know that she was as excited about it as I was, even though I didn't actually complete it until December! 
May it carry many books for you, Lady B, and accompany you on grand literary adventures!





Specs for Lady B's bookbag:
Pattern: "Charlotte City Tote" by www.swoonpatterns.com  (Important note:  I didn't care for the fabric design that's featured on this pattern so I chose not to direct-link to it;  there are other designs, however,  in this particular style that can be viewed and admired)

Fabric:  Exterior Fabric:  "Library" by Timeless Treasures (not so easy to find now, but "Stacked                      Books"   by Timeless Treasures makes a great alternative);  marine vinyl by JoAnn Fabrics;  
 
                Lining Fabric:  a cotton fabric from JoAnn Fabrics;  I don't have any other readily available              information for this one.

Notions:  zipper pull charms--Hobby Lobby
                  O-rings and rivets--Tandy Leather


Isn't it beautiful? I've loved carrying it so far, and can't wait for many more times of using it. Many thanks for stopping by today, mother mine. < 3 

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that's incredible! I love the leather, and the little zipper pulls, and the lining, and everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Serena! It was a delight to sew.

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful. Far better than anything store-bought. It's a pleasure to look at, and I imagine it's a pleasure to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make me one? :D Although, I guess you have made me bags already!

    This looks lovely, and one of my favorite things on it is the "Jane Eyre" charm. I had forgotten that you dyed the inside fabric--it looks very nice that way.

    I enjoyed your post! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear. :) I love it when you help me "design" bags.

      Delete
  4. I love your creations! Every one I have seen is beautiful and so professionally done, yet they all still have that delightful homemade look! This one is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lauren. I've come to really love the process of creating and striving for quality at the same time. It's also been such a delight to meet other creative people along the way, such as yourself! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my word. That is just adorable. I love it. It's beautiful--what a perfect gift for Lady B or any reader. Well done, Mrs. McConkey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaleigh. :) The fabrics were fun to work with. It was fun to have something that matched Lady B's life interests!

      Delete
  6. I love it! The fabric is themed so well and it's the perfect tote bag for a book lover! :) I'd love one too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful! You are so talented, both of you! This was so nicely written and a lovely story of how and why the bag came to be. I'll bet there are lots of people who'd love one of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much--it's lovely of you! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, wow, wow. This is so perfect. Another one of your amazing creations, Mrs. McConkey! Love that fabric -- the book one really does look 3-D.
    I'm sure Lady B. is over the moon about it. :D

    Hope you're all having a good week there -- thinking of you lots! (Especially as we skate on the pond--gotta come and do that one of these days. ;)
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Kyla. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it.

      Thinking of you all, too, and imagining and hoping you are having an amazingly wonderful time together. It would be so much fun to be there. Lady B has wanted to try ice skating for a very long time. :)

      Delete
  9. A wonderful bag! On my to do list for next year is to learn how to make bags...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Bag-making is a great skill to have--you will enjoy learning how!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful gift, made with love , time and talent, one couldn't ask for anything more. Enjoyed visiting your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--it was so nice to have you stop by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...