Tuesday, January 5, 2016

4 Years of My Lady Bibliophile



Guys! It's birthday time! Lady Bibliophile is officially 4 years old. *pats its head* This is a moment of proud fondness. It is a moment of celebration. Of cake and ice-cream. Of fondly mingling around the bookshelves and stroking our favorite covers.

Looking Back 
I want to take the opportunity to give a huge shoutout to the social media family who has supported this blog. I have accounts on Google+, Goodreads, Facebook and Twitter, and they all have thriving niches dedicated to talking about books. It was just this last year that I added Facebook and Twitter to my platforms. I would have Instagram now, but Instagram, alas, requires a mobile device, so not yet. But seriously, we've had some good discussions in the comments of various places, and I want to thank all the people who have supported this blog, both new friends and old.

It's also been a year to meet new authors (Kristy Cambron, Sarah Sundin, Tricia Mingerink, and others) as well as to help out with book releases (Pendragon's Heir and Storming). I finally got around to Pilgrim's Progress (I know, that was way too long) and tried out Anne Elisabeth Stengl for the first time. We talked about Anne of Green Gables. There were some things I didn't get around to: taking a look at science fiction and reading some Russian literature. But we did do a story contest instead, and those genres are things I'm hoping to continue into 2016.

Looking Ahead
This year I am not setting a Goodreads challenge. The 52 book goal cut out some big books I really wanted to read, simply because I was trying to hit a certain number. I want this year to be the year of doorstoppers that have been sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get around to them. Ben Hur. A Child's History of England. The Brothers Karamazov. The Return of the King. A re-read of Metaxas' Bonhoeffer. I can't do that when I have to finish a book a week, so this year my goal is big page count over big number.

I'd like to incorporate a few more guest posts this year. I really enjoyed the interviews last year and want to do more of that. If you're a book lover and want to be featured here in an article or interview, shoot me a line at ladybiblophileblog[at]gmail[dot]com and I'd be thrilled to talk to you. Also, if you have a review book you would like me to read, I am open to request, as long as schedule and interest coincide.

I've always wanted to host a reading challenge. I think we should have some more giveaways around here. And I have a few publishing ideas up my sleeve, which I'll have to see if 2016 is actually the year for. Beyond that, I'll continue reviewing, thinking through subjects, and posting thoughts here. We have some more writer/non-writer conversation posts to get through, and I really want to discuss K.M. Weiland's writing workbooks, now that I've had several months to test them and put them to practical use. It will be exciting.

I'm currently sitting on the couch writing this with a bad cold. Apologies if it doesn't sound too epic. STICK AROUND, I PROMISE IT WILL GET BETTER.

But here's the part where I would love to take your input--articles you want to see? Reviews you want me to do? Give me your suggestions, I would absolutely love them. :)

Top Visited Post of Last Year: The Bibliophile Tote Bag. The sewing community got hold of this one (it actually won a feature spot on a blog) and it has a whopping 820 views. Guys. I can't even. I am one lucky girl to own this bag, and huge shoutout to my mom for making it.

Top Commented Post: Tied with The Bibliophile Tote Bag and Why Book Lovers Need to be Book Buyers. 



The Infinity Tag 
For a wee celebration, I'm going to join in the Infinity tag, and just give y'all some casual chat about myself and likes/dislikes. Because sometimes I forget that it's mostly books around here, and I want you to know the person behind the blog. Especially if you've joined the club recently.

Here we go.

Thank the Blog that Nominated You: Thank-you, Grace!! *gives you cake*

11 Facts About Me: 
1. I call a lot of things "Little guy". Don't know where the habit came up, but everything from a pan of caramel sauce to my ASUS laptop is often christened that nickname in passing.
2. Currently loving popcorn from The Popcorn Factory. It is the best thing evah.
3. Just hit 100,000 words in my latest historical fiction.
4. I only write in cursive. Which is probably illegible.
5. I am a melancholic phlegmatic scatterbrain. Work that out if you can.
6. My main goal is to be a safe place in the earth for hurting people close to me.
7. I'm currently memorizing Psalm 119.
8. My favorite clothing store is Dress Barn. Classy stuff.
9. My main writing preference is historical fiction, except when I take side jaunts into modern-day novellas with a dash of romance. Everyone has to have an escape clause.
10. I work a house help job.
11. One of my molars is a primary tooth without any permanent molar underneath it. So every time I go to the dentist I hear about bridges and implants that I can look forward to in my 30s.

Epic fact to end on.

The Questions 
What's your least favorite saying?
 "God will never give you more than you can handle."

So not true. But God is strong enough to handle what he gives you. That I believe in.

What's your favorite holiday and why? 
Christmas. I love the combination of peace and joy surrounding the advent season. The snow and Christmas lights, the couple weeks where the whole world seems to take a breather, gift-giving and time to relax and worship.

Where do you gain inspiration the most? 
Probably from my Spotify playlist, or the books I'm reading. And if you like, you can join me on Spotify or Goodreads, depending on whether you like books or music!

How long have you been blogging, and what got you to blog in the first place? 
Well now, that's ironic since this is a birthday post and all. I've been blogging 4 years. I started blogging after I graduated highschool, because I wanted to create a corner of the web where people could come and discuss books and Think Deep Things.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? 
I want to seriously start planning an Ireland trip. I have friends in Australia that I'd like to get out and visit as well.



2015 Reading List--52 Books!
For your reading pleasure, here are the books I read and enjoyed last year! Most of these titles are reviewed on the blog, and you can find them in the search bar or on the reviews page. (Which needs to be updated. I apologize.)

The Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery
Steal Like An Artist, Austin Kleon
Twelve Extraordinary Women, John MacArthur
With Every Letter, Sarah Sundin
The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien
Show Your Work, Austin Kleon
When Sorry Isn't Enough, Gary Chapman
Pendragon's Heir, Suzannah Rowntree
Wanderlust Creek, Elisabeth Grace Foley
Whisper, Lauren K. Lotter
Rise of the Fallen, Chuck Black
From the Dark to the Dawn, Alicia Willis
Jane of Lantern Hill, L.M. Montgomery
A Rare Benedictine, Ellis Peters
The Art of War for Writers, James Scott Bell
Outlining Your Novel, K.M. Weiland
Richard the Third, Paul Murray Kendall
Corral Nocturne, Elisabeth Grace Foley
Mara, Daughter of the Nile, Eloise Jarvis McGraw
The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli
A Mighty Fortress, Faith Blum
Structuring Your Novel, K.M. Weiland
Soul Friends, Leslie Parrott
Pioneer Girl, Laura Ingalls Wilder
A Season of Shadows, Paul McCusker
Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie
Heartless, Anne Elisabeth Stengl
How to Be a Spy, Denis Rigden
The Prince of Fishes, Suzannah Rowntree
Bonhoeffer: Student Edition, Eric Metaxas
The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser
The First World War, Martin D. Gilbert
Papa's Wife, Thyra Ferre Bjorn
Papa's Daughter, Thyra Ferre Bjorn
True Woman 201, Mary Kassian & Nancy Leigh DeMoss
Mama's Way, Thyra Ferre Bjorn
Leave it to Psmith, P.G. Wodehouse
The Butterfly and the Violin, Kristy Cambron
My Man Jeeves, P.G. Wodehouse
You Never Stop Being a Parent, Jim Newheiser & Elyse Fitzpatrick
Storming, K.M Weiland
Flame-Colored Taffeta, Rosemary Sutcliff
7 Women and the Secret of Their Greatness, Eric Metaxas
Let Me Be a Woman, Elisabeth Elliot
The Shock of Night, Patrick Carr
The Comeback, Louie Giglio
Mardan's Mark, Kathrese McKee
The Shining Company, Rosemary Sutcliff
A Dream Not Imagined, Shantelle Mary Hannu
Ain't We Got Fun, Emily Chapman & Emily Ann Putzke
A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
Anne of Avonlea, L.M. Montgomery
Lord, Teach Us to Pray, Tom Harmon

22 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm sorry you're sick, though. <3

    I didn't realize your Tote Bag post got so many hits. That's incredible. Congrats to your mom. I wouldn't turn down a bag like that myself, either. ;)

    I think I knew 9 of the 11 facts about you. And I got to hear "Little Guy" in person. :wasntme: And see your cursive, which actually isn't illegible compared to mine (which is why I never write in cursive :P).

    Four years has gone quickly. You've seen much success and I'm so happy to be able to watch it with you. I pray the Lord continues to bless you in your reading and writing, and that I'll be here to cheer you on. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to feel better and get back into things today. It's a bit of a relief. Somehow relaxing is different when you're sick then when you're taking a break for fun. :P

      *gives you chocolate chips for Most Knowledgeable Follower award*

      I don't know if I've seen your cursive or not. Now I really want to. :P

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Lady B! I'm so glad you're here to discuss books and Think Deep Things. And the thing that stands out most to me on your tag list is #6.

    I'm looking forward to what this year brings for you!

    P.S. That was really exciting to be part of your most-viewed post. Tickled to help it happen. You're a joy to make things for. I'd like to do more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank-you so much. <3

      I love your bags. You are my official custom provider. I couldn't get anything better or higher quality at the store. ^_^

      Delete
  3. Take me to Ireland with youuuuuuuuuuu. *baby dragon eyes* I'll be good, I promise.
    Anyhow, happy birthday to your blog! *confetti and cake* I've enjoyed watching it grow over the past year, and I look forward to seeing in what direction it goes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I'm missing two permanent teeth too! I know exactly what you mean with the dentist and implants, bleh. And then every time I go in, they always exclaim over how I'm missing them, and I'm just like, yeah, you say that every time... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. The look of excitement just before they give me all the options cracks me up. XD

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!!! I just discovered this blog less than a year ago, but it's seriously one of the best websites I've ever had the good fortune of discovering =). I've actually found several really good authors and books through your book reviews, for which I heartily thank you =) Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's an amazing compliment. Thank-you so much, Katherine! I'm so glad you've found some new books and authors here, that absolutely makes my day. :)

      Delete
  6. Well, happy birthday! I'm a proud reader of your blog - it's great to have a place to come and read reviews about good books, and discussions about books... Sounds like you have some exciting plans for My Lady Bibliophile this year too, so all the best with those, and I look forward to it! :)

    And this fact: My main goal is to be a safe place in the earth for hurting people close to me. I feel the same way. There are so many hurting people around...

    Anyway, let me know when you come to Australia; it'd be great to meet you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are enjoying it, Jessica, and I always love it when you stop by! I definitely want to see you if I'm able to get to Australia. :)

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday!!! *throwsconfetti* I look forward to everything you have to share on your blog this year. :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're such an awesome friend, Lizzy! Thanks so much for all your encouragement. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing Lady Bibliophile a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Johnnie! It is such a blessing to see you here on the blog. :)

      Delete
  10. *dances in all the confetti and glitter* Congratulations at another year!!! :D I think this has been one of the richest years yet, and I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for your blog next year.

    I loved the eleven facts about yourself. XD And I can't wait for all the things you have planned--that reading challenge sounds so cool.

    Keep posting, girlie. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *dances with you*

      Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!! I'm looking forward to what 2016 has in store. :D <3

      Delete
  11. Happy 4th blog-birthday to "My Lady Bibliophile" *scatters lots of confetti*!! I just love your blog so much, dear Schuyler, and God has used you and your blog to be such an encouragement and source of edification for me and many others through these 4 years - (WOW, time has flown!!).

    Please continue blogging and sharing for God's glory! :D
    P.S. I always get seriously so excited whenever I see a Discussion Posts from this blog on my feed - It's the BEST!!!

    You sure have had a fantastic reading and reviewing year, and I love all the wonderful books you've read in 2015 - here's to another wonderful new year of blogging joys, writing and reading! God bless you, dear friend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, your excitement always gives me a thrill, Joy! 4 years HAS gone by fast. I can hardly believe it myself. Love you lots, and hope we'll share many bookish adventures together next year. :)

      Delete
  12. Wow, Congrats on 4 years, Lady B! *throws even more confetti*
    This blog and your friendship has been...such a huge part of my life these last 4 years. I love the book reviews (read many books I wouldn't have even heard of otherwise!), and I've learned so much through the articles.

    And thanks for being the Safe Place that you are. <3
    ROFL about your baby tooth and your dentist. Our dentist is so calm and reassuring about it to me: "It's healthy and if you take care of it, you won't have problems for a long while."

    Your plans for 2016 do sound epic. Looking forward to it. :D
    Much love,
    Kyla <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyla, you don't know how it rejoices my heart to see you looking up titles and hearing what you think of them--that makes every review worth it. You're a precious part of this blog, and a definite Safe Place in my life, too.

      Can't wait to share 2016 with you!

      Love,
      Schuyler <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...