Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Spring TBR Stack

Hey Folkies! I have an exciting review coming up this Friday, but today I thought I'd make a list and show my Spring TBR pile. Might not finish all of them, but the dreaming is half the fun, after all, and I'm very excited to dig into these. :) 



Ben Hur, by Lew Wallace 
I am starting it this week. I AM STARTING IT THIS WEEK. I'm so excited. Even if it's got the worst case of backstory info-dump ever in the first 100 pages. 

100 pages of backstory on side characters. Now that's a dedicated author for you. 


When We Were Very Young, by A.A. Milne 
I was downright enchanted by my first foray into A.A. Milne's poetry and how it brought back so many perspectives I had in my childhood. I intend to read the second one and couple it with Now We Are Six in a blog review. If you haven't read A.A. Milne's poetry, it truly is worth your attention, not to mention enjoyable. 


The Inheritance, by Michael Phillips 
The theology in Michael Phillips more recent books hasn't been up to par, but I decided to get this one and give it an honest shot, simply because I enjoyed his earlier books a lot. If this one has the same deep flaws, I may not finish the series, but we shall see. 


What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert 
A nifty little book on Gospel gifted to our family by my brother. There are also two other books in the series, but I'd like to start with this one because it intrigues me the most. (Just my luck, I'm probably reading them out of order.) 


Freckles, by Gene Stratton-Porter 
I haven't read Freckles in--three years maybe? At least two. This simply inexcusable for being one of my favorite books. Springtime seems like the perfect time to curl up with his adventures. 


Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas  
One of my Big Books on the list for this year. I'd like to start soon, because I believe Bonhoeffer died in May, and it would be nice to coincide the reading of this book with the anniversary of his death. Plus, more Metaxas writing, which is always a treat. 


The Sparrow Stories, by Jason McIntyre
Jason contacted me and asked me to take a look at these and review them. I'm already partway through and enjoying his writing style, so I'd like to finish these up and talk about them on the blog! 


Visual Theology: Seeing and Understanding the Truth About God, by Tim Challies and Josh Byers
I am madly excited about this book--a new book illustrating the truths of God's Word in graphics and visuals and charts. It will be an amazing book to sit down with and look over. It's coming in the mail, and as soon as it arrives, I will pounce on it. 

I own all the stories in this stack, but I've only read three of them: I think that makes for a nice, balanced variety coming up this Spring! I also have a couple of beta reading projects coming up, and a Secret Book to read, so that finishes the stack off nicely. 

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? What do you want to read this Spring? 

8 comments:

  1. You're going to LOVE Ben-Hur. That is all. And the back story is way more fun than The Count Of Monte Cristo's back story, so never fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I-can't-wait-I-can't-wait!! It sounds fantastic. Just have to finish up a bit of Tolkien and a bit of Sutcliff, should be ready by the weekend!

      Delete
  2. I'm really looking forward to leafing through the Visual Theology book (one of the many perks of living with Lady B).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I am impatiently waiting its arrival. Maybe I can keep it on the end table so it can be easily accessed if you'd like to look at it! :)

      Delete
  3. I want to read Ben-Hur one day too! I love your list. So many genres of books. Really looking forward to your review of Phillips, 'cause I have two of his books, and I'm interested in him so far. Completely jealous of Visual Theology. I want that book so much. :P

    As for my reading list...finishing 12 Extraordinary Women, A Path Through Suffering (Elisabeth Elliot), and maybe Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? (Carolyn McCulley)I'd also like to get to What is the Gospel and Why Trust the Bible, too, though I don't think there is a particular order. The other two books by Gilbert that we have didn't have a certain order to them, so I don't think the other two will. :)

    Happy spring reading! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben Hur is a Christian classic, so it'd be a great one to read. Especially b/c it's probably a decent sample of American literature, not what you had to go through in CLEP tests. :P Which Phillips books do you have?

      Very good books on your list too! I'd like to read that Elisabeth Elliot book. We should compare thoughts on Gilberts when we're done. :D <3

      Delete
  4. I'm just very excited that you're reading Ben Hur, Schuyler! When you're done with that, you probably should consider reading "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas as well, another favourite Biblical classic novel for me :).

    I've got some co-written Michael Phillips, including the Russian series which he wrote with Judith Pella, which I'm eager to read. Eager to know how you find "The Inheritance".

    I've never heard of the Sparrow Stories - what are they about?

    Great TBR list, Schuyler! I need to write up one soon too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ben-Hur is so much fun! I just got through part one about the Magi, so now I can actually read about Ben-Hur! I own the Robe, and would love to read that, especially since it's a book that means so much to you. <3

      The Sparrow Stories are about a homeschool American family, by a homeschooled young man. :)

      Oo, I would love to see your TBR stack! That would be grand. Love you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...