Friday, April 15, 2016

The Reading Habits Tag


It's Spring. Our beloved chipmunk has come out of hibernation and is sitting on our back steps again. I went outside without a jacket yesterday to get a picture of a book that came in the mail. Instagram+books gets me outside. Or gardening. I love tending gardens for the lady I work for.

Today I'm helping out at a writer's conference. Let's relax and talk about book reading habits, shall we? I have a deep article in the works, but I felt like something lighter after a busy week.

Credit for questions: http://ashhreads.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-reading-habits-tag.html (A blog I'm not familiar with, but the questions looked cool, so I decided to borrow them.)

1. Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
We have a cozy blue recliner in the corner of our living room. I do most of my writing, thinking, reading, and whatnot in that. Otherwise I lay horizontal on my bed and turn the pages. This winter I got a heated mattress pad, which makes it very nice and luxurious.

2. Bookmark or random piece of paper?
Bookmarks! I did a post on my collection here. I love matching the themes of my bookmarks to the book I'm reading, or some surrounding event that I've experienced while I'm reading it.


3. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter/ a certain amount of pages?
It's frightening how fast I can stop. I'll stop at random places: at the end of a chapter, at the end of a scene, sometimes (if I've lost interest) in the middle of a sentence. It could be in the middle of an exciting scene, and I'll still stop mid-sentence just because my attention span is gone. 'Tis sad, but there it is.

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?
Nooo, I do not. Really big on that. Occasionally I'll keep a glass of water by me, and if it's getting near mealtime and I can't wait any longer, I'll scrounge around for crackers. I have brought a book to breakfast lately, and I enjoy that a lot. Sometimes I'll brew a cup of tea, but I eye it with wary reserve when reading a book. In general our family eats meals together (thus no book) and I don't eat unless I'm hungry (thus no snacks). So the whole chocolate and book thing never worked for me.


5. Multitasking: Music or TV while reading?
Believe me, I have tried. It doesn't work. I can have the TV going if I'm not interested in it, but music is way too distracting. Also, the idea of texting and reading, while making my multitasking heart happy, is impossible. I can't jump back and forth that rapidly.

6. One book at a time or several at once?
The joys of several are so nice, I never stick to one. I have one primary book, but several side ones I pick up leisurely. Generally a nonfiction, a couple of fiction, and sometimes a book on the computer as well. It's so fun to start new books and finish several in a row, so I like having a stack of them.


7. Reading at home or everywhere? 
Everywhere. At home. In the car. At people's houses (when polite). I've read on a plane. I've read at the beach (reading at the beach is a real treat). I've read in the middle of the night in our recliner while I'm sick. In short, there is no time or place that would be impossible for me to read in. (Well, probably something, but I can't think of anything.) 

8. Reading out loud or silently in your head?
I enjoy both. I love reading out loud to people, and always enjoy reading aloud when it's my turn in the family rotation. I once recorded all of Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter onto the computer, because I loved reading so much. But when it's a book I'm reading to myself, then of course, just in my head.


9. Do you read ahead or even skip pages?
Yesss. All the time. It is my one weakness. I used to get books from the library, skim through the chapter titles, and read the most interesting ones before reading the rest of the book. Sometimes I'll skip ahead a bit on my Kindle app. Most times skipping ahead is a guilty pleasure and I feel awful for having done it, but if a book is so intense it's too much for me to handle, I let myself look ahead to relieve the pressure. That's better than suffering for a fictional story.

10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?
I never even thought about that. There are some books where I curl the spine, but for the majority I hold them like a normal book, so they stay pretty newish.

11. Do you write in your books?
Rarely. Generally only if it's a book I disagree strongly with, and need to note my thoughts, or a book I'm beta reading for someone and thus need to keep track of likes/dislikes for feedback. Otherwise I prefer to leave it unmarked and write up a general review of what impressions I can remember when I'm done.


What are your reading habits? Do you like to read ahead in books too? :) 

6 comments:

  1. What fun questions! I myself like to have something to do with my hands while I'm reading -- I can't just hold the book, else I'll lose attention, so I like eating or drinking tea/hot chocolate while reading, or play around with the bookmark (which is why I love the one I won for the SEA contest -- so much fun playing around with it while reading). Also one thing weird about me is that I can't read everywhere -- especially in public. I like being aware of my surroundings when I'm out, so I find it hard to focus on reading. Although I have read in the plane before. And your answer to #9. Wow. Such sacrilege, child. I'm the type who covers the next page with my hand during tense scenes to avoid reading ahead accidentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, that bookmark is perfect for it, then! I love playing with bookmarks too. :)

      I'm sorry. I'm so bad, and it's probably a lifelong flaw by now. XD

      Delete
  2. Love these questions! Personally, a lot of my reading right now gets done during mealtimes when I'm eating by myself, though it's not unusual for me to walk around the house reading, or get lunch with one hand and hold a book with the other :P. If I'm into a book, I will seriously read it anywhere. I usually drink tea if it's reading for school, but if it's for fun I'm usually too engrossed. Sacrilege! How dare you read ahead? XD (Although I confess I may have been guilty on *very* rare occasions...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy reading at meals, too! Though it leads to funny postures sometimes, trying to eat and hold a book open at the same time. :P

      Delete
  3. These are awesome questions! I try not to eat while reading simply because it distracts me, but I will do chocolate with a book on ocassion and there's nothing as pleasant as enjoying a mug of tea or coffee while reading. Though I will say this luxury has backfired on occasion...one of my books now has tea-stains on some of the pages. I can't remember if it was a shocking scene or if I was just being clumsy. :P

    I love reading out loud too! It's the actress in me. I also love listening to audiobooks, though that sometimes depends on who is reading the book. I do not like skipping ahead! Though my older sister will do that, especially with books she isn't enjoying that much but still wants to know the ending to. XD

    Thanks for sharing this, Schuyler! It was so much fun to read your responses!

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tea stains are what terrify me, and since I've been reading library books and a collector edition of Lord of the Rings, I've stayed away from it. I love the romanticism of the idea of a cup of tea and a book, though. :)

      Who's your favorite audio book narrator/producer?

      I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Dani! Hope you have a lovely day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...