Friday, June 3, 2016

Summer Reading Stack

I'm almost done with my Spring reading stack (hooray! a little planning goes a long way!) so I'm looking ahead to Summer, and what I'd like to read and review on the blog here. Here's what I have on the stack so far:



Tintin in the Land of the Soviets 

Because I've never read Tintin, and I've always wanted to try a comic book. It's in the children's section at our library, so I will have to overcome my embarrassment and get it there. Or I'll just put it on hold. Probably the latter. 



The Bridezilla of Christ 

It's doesn't release until July, but it's in the mail and on it's way to me right now. Yay for review copies! 


Go Teen Writers 

I felt deeply refreshed by the writing books I read early last year, and wanted to repeat that instruction this year. While I've read and re-read sections of this book, I want to start it again and read it from beginning to end, since the advice inside is so clear and helpful. 


Kidnapped 

One of my favorite books, summer is the perfect time to curl up with Alan and Davie's adventures. I look forward to reading this book again. The part in the Highlands is always so wonderful. I made up reams of imaginary fan fiction in my head as a child, to make that part last even longer (and yes, I traveled with them, of course). 


No Man's Land

This is a novel about WW1, and it's by J.R.R. Tolkien's grandson. I'd like to at least look it up and see how he writes compared to his grandfather. There's precious little WW1 fiction out there, and if it was good, it would be dreadfully exciting. 



A Child's History of England

In the year of big books, this is the one on the summer stack. I'm only choosing one big one for summer, since it's going to go by fast. But Dickens+big book+kings of England is just the ticket. Cannot wait to get out the delightfully old red hardback that's been sitting on my shelf waiting for me. 


The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert 

In the upheaval of the LGBTQ revolution in our society, Rosaria Butterfield writes some thoughts to the church as her testimony. She's a lesbian who later became a Christian and gave up that lifestyle. I think her insights would be good to have, and since my mom listened to the audio, it comes highly recommended. :) 



A Sparrow in Terezin 
The sequel to The Butterfly and the Violin, which I dearly loved, A Sparrow in Terezin sounds like the perfect Christian fiction to curl up with in the summertime. More art, a little romance, and some great history. 


History, writing, theology, comics, and how-to--that looks like a pretty grand summer to me. :) Have you read any of these books yet? What's on your to-read stack? I'd love to know! 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you have some great books lined up! We have nearly all of the Tintin books, and I've been reading them since I was little, although I haven't read that one =D. I didn't know Tolkien's grandson wrote! And The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert sounds interesting. I've been wanting to read the sequel to The Butterfly and the Violin, too. I can't wait to see the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! It was tons of fun making this list. I can't wait to get started. :) Oo, did you enjoy The Butterfly and the Violin?

      Delete
  2. Ooh, fascinating! I would caution you about the Tintin book, though - the Tintin series changed a LOT over the course of the series, and SOVIETS, while fun, simply lacks the amazing sophistication of art, characterisation, plot, and everything else that the later Tintin books achieved. Make sure you don't stop till you've read some of the highlights of the series--THE BLACK ISLAND, KING OTTOKAR'S SCEPTRE, THE CRAB WITH THE GOLDEN CLAWS, LAND OF BLACK GOLD, RED SEA SHARKS, TINTIN IN TIBET, THE CASTAFIORE EMERALD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to check out those others! And there may be one in America I'll read first, I can't remember which one I glanced at when Sis got them from the library years back...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind an occasional political book. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. I'm currently reading through Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg. I don't know if you like political books, but if you do, that one is a necessary read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this list! Can't wait to put up my summer list too. And you should totally read Tintin -- I went through a phase once when I was obsessed with those books. XD The movie's also enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for your list!! Oo, and I've never seen the Tintin movie, but I heard a lot of people enjoyed it. I'll have to watch it sometime so I can discuss it with you! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...