Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Top 9 Fictional Dishes to Try



So I don't know about you, but I have a small foodie streak in me. I get excited about food. Especially if it's something I've never tried before. Coming back from a conference last year, my honest-to-goodness favorite part was the food, especially the amazing creme brulee at the last dinner. I get excited over everything from stopping at a favorite restaurant to eating something amazing at home.

Someday I want to write a modern novel where I can cram in a lot of good food the characters get to eat.

I thought it would be fun to explore the fictional dishes I'd love to try among my current bookshelves. Some books talk a lot about food. Some barely mention it. (Am I the only one who would love to see some more amazing food in fantasy? I mean, medieval meat and bread are great, but let's get creative here!)

So here's my list of dishes I'd love to try from books:

Puny Bradshaw's cornbread. (At Home in Mitford) I'd kill to sit down at her table. (Um, not really. Metaphor for I'D REALLY LIKE TO DO IT.) Jan Karon had a proper appreciation of food in literature, and eating Puny Bradshaw's cornbread would be a dream come true.

Father Tim's ham. (At Home in Mitford) Made for every wedding--I'd gladly have him bake one for some social event I was involved in.

Esther Bolick's marmalade cake. (At Home in Mitford) Did I say Jan Karon had a proper appreciation of food in literature? That cake, when she described it straight out of the fridge, sounded just about heavenly.

Samwise Gamgee's potatoes. (The Two Towers) That famous potato line may not have been in the book, but I'd love to sit Indian-style by the fire and eat a dish of coneys and taters with Sam. (Preferably without the oliphaunts).

Candace's chicken. (Laddie: A True, Blue Story) It sounds way too good--good enough for children to snitch and carry off, all crusty and juicy. But I would never dare take Mother's piece.

Mrs. Comstock's lunches. That woman could pack a lunch box. A Girl of the Limberlost wins hands-down for the best food I have ever read about. My mouth watered over the pickles and spice cake and salads and sandwiches. I think Philip Comstock saw the light over the dinner table.

Scarlet Blaine's pie. (Chasing Jupiter) Life is not complete without reading about her peach pie. I will never taste it. Sadness.

Robin Hood's venison. (Robin Hood) It would be beyond jolly to sit around the fire, listening to tales of daring and eating deer with the lot of them. Only I shouldn't, because it's stolen deer. So it's just as well it's in a fictional book where I can't be tempted.

Ma Quiner's pancakes. (Little House in Brookfield) I ate those pancakes right along with Caroline--so fluffy and good, with the sweet syrup and butter dripping down the sides. Imagine a plate of pancakes just about now, and I defy you not to eat it.

Aunt Irene's chocolate peppermint cake. (Jane of Lantern Hill) I'm not sure it's good to eat at the table of mine enemies, but if she made a cake, then it shouldn't be left to waste.

Meat and dessert. That's pretty much the theme of this post. That's the best in life, isn't it, after all?

If you're a writer, feel free to give your character a signature dish. And don't make it boring, either! Something simple and homelike is perfect, but variety gives them that unique angle they wouldn't otherwise have had.

What food would you love to try from the books you've read?

PS. You can find lots of the titles mentioned in this post under the Book Reviews tab!

13 comments:

  1. It wasn't until recently that I tried roasted chickpeas and ended up really liking them(I need to locate a recipe and make some more). They reminded me of the street vendor's food in "All of a Kind Family". There was a lot of yummy-sounding food in that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasted chickpeas are grand. And the food in AOAKF was mouthwatering!

      Delete
  2. Love this list! I was already craving pancakes today -- thanks for amplifying that craving now. xD
    I would love to try any of the food from the Redwall books -- Brian Jacques goes into such vivid detail in describing the food his animal heroes eat. Strawberry fizz sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome. :PP You know, I'd love to read the Redwall books sometime!

      Delete
    2. You shoullldddd. They're a huge part of my childhood, and I really need to reread them. And I'm suddenly feeling the need to discuss them with you. Maybe if you ever read them we can do that over a plate of pancakes?

      Delete
  3. Mmm, sounds delicious. The fact that it's dinnertime here doesn't help. XP I've always wanted to share a meal with some of the characters from Narnia - there's just so much good food over there! Lucy's tea with Tumnus, or dinner with the Beavers, or the meal Shasta eats in the palace when everybody thinks he's Corin. Although I wouldn't like to be stuck in a bunch of ruins with only apples...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea with Tumnus!!! That would be beyond fun!

      Delete
  4. This is such a fun post! And I totally agree about food in fantasy novels -- too much meat and bread! :) I actually made November cakes from The Scorpio Races, because there was a recipe in the back of the book (yay!), and they were delicious. Also, I'm currently re-reading Resistance for the third time, and my mouth waters over hand-pies from a street vendor and Kyrin's sweet rolls. Mmmm...

    Serena | poetree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to save up sometime and buy food from street vendors. It sounds amazing. :) What are November cakes? I haven't read The Scorpio Races!

      Delete
  5. There IS an actual recipe for Esther Bolick's marmalade cake. It's a complex recipe, but Emily (always up for a challenge) has made it more than once. You'd think no cake on earth could live up to the reputation that one had in the books, but I'm here to tell you it can! Eating a slice of that cake is like eating a slice of the Blessed Lands....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating a slice of Paradise? Count me in. Em makes smashing good food, I'd love to try her rendition of this sometime. :D

      Delete
  6. Ooo, I remember you telling me about the creme brulee! So heavenly. ^_^ Also, I now want to read the At Home in Mitford series -- it sounds delightfully homey and cozy. A good winter read, methinks? :)

    There are many delicious meals I'd like to try, but I think topmost would be lembas bread and some of the delicious meals that Badger, Ratty, and Mole eat in The Wind in the Willows. Oh, and I've always wanted to try the sassafras tea from the Sugar Creek Gang books. Mmmm. And a little bit of Judy Plum's cooking wouldn't go amiss...

    Now I'm hungry. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitford is the perfect winter read. That would be excellent to put on your TBR stack. :D

      Ooo, I was almost ready to read Wind in the Willows the other day, but another book took precedence. You've intrigued me, though! Now I want to read it to see what the meals were. :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...