Friday, July 22, 2016

The Notebook Collection + Kindle Name Poll + Story Pinterest Boards



Today, I thought I'd give you a peek inside my current notebook stack. I've been using these fairly regularly over the past few weeks for stories, studies, and scheduling, and I absolutely love them. They are happy places of work and thought. This post is partly inspired by Elisabeth Grace Foley--because I love looking at people's notebooks.

With huge thanks to sis who helped me take pictures.



The Scheduling notebook 

This book is a dream. I got it at the beginning of the year, going back to my mom's tried and true method of scheduling for our school years. Consistent scheduling has been a lifesaver. At the beginning of the week, I make a list of tasks I need to accomplish that week--the big rocks. Then I make daily to-do lists and check them off--things to do, occasional reminders to pray for people on certain days, etc. Scattered in between are monthly goals, quarterly evaluations, and notes for Bright Lights lessons. 

I got this book because it made me think Cinderella and that made me happy. It's been a haven of order and remembering things, as well as productivity and accomplishing reasonable goals.


The Jimmy notebook 

I started the Jimmy book just this week (The Jimmy book, for those who are wondering, is stolen from L.M. Montgomery's Emily character, who always kept Jimmy books when she was growing up.) In my Jimmy book, I am starting my second 1,000 gifts list, which was something my mom suggested starting up again. I'm also keeping a log of self-care ideas, and specific ways I've been doing self-care. Not only is it exciting to plan throughout the day what I can write down on both those lists, but it's also a little haven of happiness to jot in every night before I go to bed. This notebook was given to me by a very special friend, and it is made from elephant dung and recycled paper.

You read that right.


The Story notebook 

This book came out again after a recent vacation to see friends. The story bug struck again--I started having ideas for a story entitled Daddy and I (you can haunt the Pinterest board here) and making notes accordingly: Snippets of character conversations. How they look and feel. Little gems that make them real in my mind that I can spin into story when I'm ready for the real thing. 

This notebook also has the account of Jaeryn Graham's birth. Such interesting information. 

It is the friend I bring with me to most social gatherings. It makes me feel secure. In case something traumatic happens, or the car breaks down, I will have it with me for comfort. 

(Interested in more story boards? Check out my newest brain child here.)


The Study notebook 
This notebook represents the last few weeks of my life. I've been working through accreditation as a writing instructor in a popular curriculum, and in this notebook I write out the assignments I have to turn in. I eventually caved and went to the computer for longer assignments, but I actually enjoyed writing out paragraphs with pen and paper. There was a deep connection to the process through that means which felt enjoyable at the time.


The Sermon notebook 

Nope, I don't write sermons, but I do take notes on sermons and Bible studies I attend. A couple of years ago I started this tradition, needing some help in my struggles to listen to long auditory talks. A sermon notebook was the perfect answer. It tucks right into a pocket of my Bible case, along with pens, and I can whip it out to write down the pastor's outlines, facts I didn't know, things that comfort or convict: anything I want to remember. 



The Canada notebook 

This is the newest little buddy added to the collection. I don't know what goes in him yet, but the time will come. I am not worried. He looks cozy and casual, and I want him to be a place full of good memories. Stories. Whatever it happens to be. Whenever I get a new notebook, I always keep it around until the right subject matter comes. When the right moment strikes, I know deep in my soul what belongs in it.

And there you have the notebook collection! These all see pretty regular use right now (barring the Canada one, which gets frequent fond looks while it awaits new content) and each notebook is a place of happiness, discipline, and productivity.

What subjects do you like to put in notebooks? How many notebooks are you currently using? 

Kindle Poll:

 I have two names in the running for my Kindle: 

Small (from Winnie the Pooh) so that when I lose it and find it again, I can say "I found Small!"

Or Jeeves (from Wodehouse, of course) because it will be my efficient and ever-respectful right-hand assistant. 

Which name would you pick? :D 




14 comments:

  1. Your notebooks are super cool. I have lots of notebooks, but they don't all have specific jobs. I do have a strictly "sermon" notebook... but all the rest are "haphazard story note idea" notebooks.... and many of them have no writing in them yet because I'd like to be more organized about them, but don't know what to use them all for... but I loves them anyway and keep collecting them for some reason... ;)

    I name things, too. I named my phone "Perry" so that when I lose it I can say, "Hey, where's Perry?" and when I find it I can say, "Oh, there you are, Perry."

    Of course, if you're not versed in Phineas and Ferb, that makes no sense... LOL

    I named my GPS "Hettie" from NCIS Los Angeles, because she tells me where to go and how to get there. And my computer is... I forget. I don't think I ever settled on a name for it. I should remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haphazard notebooks are handy too, because then you're not limited by having *the* right notebook with you at all times.

      I love those names. :D Perry is such a fun one, and so is Hettie. :D

      Delete
  2. Love the Canada notebook. So adorable. I don't think you'd want to see all my empty notebooks. (Well, maybe you would.) I keep most of them in my organizer, but I have tons of them because I collect them. The best ones I save on a shelf in my room for my future diaries. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see them. You should take a photo sometime and do a blog post about it. :D :D

      I love the Canada notebook too. That sweatshirt is so cute. <3

      Delete
  3. Hi Schulyer! A friend gave me your blog address. This is the first post I've read and I love it because I've never met anyone who feels the exact same way about notebooks as I do!

    Right now I'm on a moleskine kick because I love their classic look and feel, and they come in various convenient sizes with elastic straps to keep everything shut and inside pockets to hold stray pages. I have a professional moleskine for work and a mini moleskine in my purse for on-the-go ideas, inspiration and notes. Story ideas are currently going into a hardback purple spiral with a butterfly on the cover because the pages are roomy and the notebook is easy to handle.

    Anyway, I look forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liberty! So nice to meet you--thanks so much for stopping by the blog. :D Moleskin notebooks sound extremely cool--I love the different sizes you have to carry with you, and I agree, a purse notebook is a must!

      Hope you have fun looking around! :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love both your name ideas. :) But it really must be Jeeves, I think....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Votes currently tied. Strong opinions on both sides. XD

      Delete
  5. I think I must vote for Small. *noddles*
    What a lovely collections of notebooks! You inspire me. ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently received THE VERY SAME notebook you have for writing story snippets in! I got it as a birthday present. I'll probably end up using it as a journal, but I love what you do with it. :)
    I vote Jeeves, but that may be because I'm not sure who Small is (although I DID read and watch Winnie the Pooh when I was little.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I saw the same notebook in church on Sunday too, so know I've heard of two people having the same one in the same week! :)

      Aha! Jeeves and Small are tied again. :D Thanks for voting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...