Tuesday, August 16, 2016

20 Things We'd Tell Our Twentysomething Selves

Some days you need to take a fiction book to the beach and get lost in the story.

Other days you need to take a book that will immerse you in time with God.

I've done both recently, listening to what my body and mind are telling me they need in this slow process of refueling after some heavy studies.

The afternoon that I took a book of twenties advice to the beach, I was expecting it to be good. And I found in chapter after chapter a fresh measure of healing and grace that I had been needing for a long time.

The Book [from Goodreads]
Make the most of your 20s

Despite what many think, your twenties aren’t that dead space between youth and real life. Life is now, and how you spend these years makes all the difference.

In 20 Things Wed Tell Our Twentysomething Selves, professors Peter and Kelli Worrall help you make them count. They look back on the good, bad, and miserable to give the best of what they’ve learned, like why you should:


Dig deeper than your doubt
Foster good habits
Take risks
Adjust your expectations
Press into pain
and more

With warm, brilliant storytelling, the Worralls invite you into their life and home. They share about faith, marriage, drawn-out adoptions, dark nights of the soul, and the God who’s in it all. Wise, humble, caring, and fun, they’re the kind of mentors everyone wants but few have. And now they're yours.

20 Things is more than a collection of advice; it’s a book that can change your life. Let the trend of your twenties be sowing wisdom, and who knows what the rest of life will bring?

Includes action steps, discussion questions, and ideas for further reading at the end of each chapter.

My Thoughts
It's amazing, the roundabout ways God will take to send you exactly the book you need. My mom heard about 20 Things on a radio advertisement for Moody Radio, I thought I had heard of it before and looked it up on my book blogger program. It was available, so I requested it.

Little did I know just how amazing it was going to be.

I spent a Sunday afternoon at the beach learning--growing--resting--praying. I read a few sections, pondered a few minutes, wandered down the beach and read more--read it on a swing, on the sand, on a boardwalk bench, in the back of our van. I even underlined and marked in it, which is something rare for me.

Peter and Kelli taught me that it's OK to feel emotions, and how to process them. They taught me that sometimes emotions that you don't understand and don't expect come from trauma you haven't healed--and everyone needs to heal their trauma. They taught me that mentors may be many different people teaching us many different things. They taught me to feed my soul and learn to rest properly. They taught me how to plan good habits.

One morning the following week, I woke up amazed and delighted with the knowledge that I am loved--and let my mind linger over the Creator's love for me. That made such a better way to start the day than my normal worrying, wrestling, or busyness. That came from the section on "Living Loved". I've been lingering over and applying different sections of the book ever since I turned the last page.

Kelli and Peter are engaging authors. They have the gift of knowing and sympathizing with what life is like as a twenty-something. Each chapter is packed with advice, and while there were a few sections I struggled to understand and process correctly (Take Sin Seriously often turned into taking sin too seriously, and processing emotions can quickly get way too complicated for me) on the whole I was blessed. It felt like drinking a cold glass of water or having someone tell you to lie down and rest for a while.

It felt like they were taking care of me. Giving me answers I needed. Making sense of this twentysomething life in a compassionate and grace-filled way, that coupled with the grace of family and friends, is helping me through a difficult season.

While I did not have time to go through all the journaling questions due to the book deadline, they are a rich resource for examination and prayer, and I would like to go back through them. I think they would maximize the impact of the book even further, as amazing as it was just reading it.

I highly recommend purchasing this and soaking in its truth and grace. It's one I definitely want to read again.

And if you have a twentysomething in your life, consider giving it to them. It would be a gift that blesses them in a lot of ways.

This book was given me by Moody Publishers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

8 comments:

  1. Yup! I want to read it. :D It's on my Amazon wishlist now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an excellent book! I might have to read it, even though I'm not a twenty-something yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it to do it ahead of time and know what to expect! I think it'd be encouraging no matter what stage of life. :)

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, I got this book through the review site, too, and found it totally amazing! Fun fact, I also read it on the beach. :) Aidyl from Noveltea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it to! And yay for reading on the beach. :)

      Delete
  4. Putting this on my wishlist, Schuyler :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! It's a fantastic one, I hope you love it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...