Tuesday, September 27, 2016

A Time to Die + A Time to Rise Release Tour!


I was SUPER excited to be accepted to the Nadine Brandes' team for the A Time to Rise release! I've been wanting to read her books for ages, so diving into book 1 of Parvin's adventures was a dream come true! (Just around my birthday, too--so awesome.)

Come talk with me about my first foray into dystopian literature!

The Book [from Goodreads]
How would you live if you knew the day you'd die?

Parvin Blackwater has wasted her life. At only seventeen, she has one year left according to the Clock by her bedside.

In a last-ditch effort to make a difference, she tries to rescue Radicals from the crooked justice system. But when the authorities find out about her illegal activity, they cast her through the Wall -- her people's death sentence.

What she finds on the other side about the world, about eternity, and about herself changes Parvin forever and might just save her people. But her Clock is running out.

My Thoughts
I started this book after dinner one day and didn't stop until bedtime. It was that exciting. The tension is non-stop, and I had a complete lack of self-control in finishing it. :P

There were a lot of things I loved about this book. First of all, Nadine's world building is really solid. Her technology is incredible (anyone else want a tune chip for music?) and I loved the electronic journal and updating newspapers. It felt real, believable, and so creative. Not only technology, but the terrain, the cityscapes, and the different cultures Parvin encounters have a harsh reality that really fits in with the atmosphere and themes. I'd like to read this book again just to re-encounter everything and catch more details.

I like the fact that Parvin has a real family in this book. A mom. A dad. A brother--all living and very much loving her. That's rare to find in stories, and they have a realistic dysfunction--troubles, but not so much that deny the fact that they're a close bonded family. In fact, wherever she goes, Parvin creates or finds family. It's a key need fulfilled, and a safe place for her. Shalom is found in two are better than one--especially in the context of family bonds.

Parvin herself is a good example of a heroine who really grows well throughout the book. She starts out weak, but not whiny or dislikable--very relatable. Gradually she grows stronger, wrestles with things, finds help, suffers mentally and physically in some pretty big ways. At one point I was completely shocked with what Nadine was putting her through. ;) But through it all, she's a realistic example of growth as a Christian--I could really relate to her feelings at one point when she's made a decision and then regrets it, and can't let go of the regret. The way she talked with God, and refused to accept the brokenness in the world around her was really, really good.

I loved Jude. He's a pretty special guy, which his humor chemistry with Parvin, and his tenacious sense of protection and guidance. Lots of aww moments that felt completely natural and soul satisfying. And yes, Hawke was pretty cool too.

The only part I didn't totally connect with was the romance aspect--at first I really liked Parvin's insecurity and inexperience about how she should feel in a romantic way, but then it got a little distracting with wondering what was a right way to touch Jude (nothing inappropriate, but I just enjoy it more when plot focuses on how a couple relate to each other with personality chemistry).

There is so much potential for future books both in the plot line and in the spiritual themes. Questions to be answered, growth to be achieved--I definitely want to see what happens next.

Order the Book
To check out A Time to Die, click on any of these awesome buttons:

A Time to Die



Order Book #2

You'll want to order book 2 right away after reading book 1. Just sayin'. ;) So to make it easy for you...
A Time to Speak
Amazon BN-iconlogogoodreads icon


And Best of All...

The reason we're all here is to celebrate the release of the final installment--book 3!!


A Time to Rise

IF you pre-order book 3, you'll get some awesome swag. The most adorable bookmarks on the face of the universe. So hie thee forth and check it out on Nadine's website!

http://nadinebrandes.com/2016/07/20/a-time-to-rise-pre-order-swag/



Connect With the Author
To hang out with Nadine on social media, check out her website. Actually, it was her sweet interaction with her fans that first attracted me to her books. I love her newsletter, her Twitter, and her blog--in fact, I love any place she's on! She always makes me smile and gives me new things to think about. :)


I received a free e-copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...