Friday, September 16, 2016

Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal

So I'm totally supportive of this trend of adult coloring books. It started with hearing about them through Ann Voskamp, and before long I bought one of my own--a beautiful Joanna Basford's Enchanted Forest.

Not having a natural artistic bent with colors, I'm slowly learning what looks good and that it's important to keep your pencils sharp. But when Tyndale offered one specifically having to do with gratitude, I thought it would be fun to try out a coloring journal combined with prayer.

The Book 
Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal invites you to bring creative journaling and the calming act of coloring into your quiet time with God. This beautifully designed interactive prayer book from Tyndale's Living Expressions collection helps guide your thoughts as you pray about concerns such as health, overcoming stress, personal relationships, and more. Gratitudegives you a way to celebrate and give thanks to God for the many blessings he provides. Filled with over 100 designs to color, plenty of space for journaling and sketching, and 40 needs-based prayers, Gratitude helps you express your devotion to God with your whole heart!

My Thoughts 
I like a lot of factors about this journal. The pages are small, and less overwhelming than some of the bigger coloring books, so when you're sitting down to pray it's easy to break it into manageable chunks. I've done a coloring session every day this week to test out the book for review, and each time I enjoyed the ten minutes or so I spent with it. I would throw on some instrumental Christian piano music by Eric Nordhoff, choose a prompt that stood out to me, and for ten minutes I would color and pray to the music background. If I didn't get a page done, that was OK. I chose another prompt the next day, and there's still lots of room  to return to a prompt I didn't finish multiple times. The good thing about this book is, you can custom-tailor it to your preferences and time limits. It's a beautiful way to make prayer time a treat.

Sometimes the drawings are a little too cute, but there are a lot of pages I would love to try, and even when I don't always connect to the pre-written prompts, I love the subject matter they make my own prayers springboard into. The subjects are varied and good, and as I meditate on them, my heart is refreshed.

If you love art but struggle sometimes with prayer, this might be a great platform to bring alive your own prayer life. Or if you have a younger girl artist you know who you want to encourage in her faith, this might also be a great gift. I'd encourage taking a look at it in store to make sure it's what you expect and want, but it turned out to be a lot more fun than I was expecting, and I'd love to do more with it in future.

I received a free copy of this book from Tyndale in exchange for an honest review.

Cry Out Prayer Night 
For another opportunity to join in prayer, Nancy Leigh DeMoss is hosting a livestream prayer night over the internet on September 23. From 6-9 central, join thousands of women around the world crying out to God for national and international repentance. It's coming soon, and you won't want to miss it! Go to cryout16.com to see if there are any groups gathering in your area, or to sign up and participate right from the comfort of your own home.



What do you think of coloring books? Do you have a favorite one? What are your favorite ways to keep track of your prayer life?

Check out Tyndale's  Inspire Creativity board on Pinterest for downloadable samplers and shareable coloring pages and www.livingexpressionscollection.com for more inspiration about their coloring products.

2 comments:

  1. What a creative idea for a prayer journal! I might have to look into getting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should bring mine to Nationals and show it to you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...