Friday, October 7, 2016

September Highlights

I'm off to another writer's conference today.

Two in one year. All the excite.

That left me little time to make a second blog post this week. Adulthood (is that a word?) in between travels is something fierce.

But I'm going to leave you with a few highlights of September, and maybe a novel snippet or two, because that's just the right thing to do. M'kay?

M'kay.



A dream came true a couple of weeks ago, when I was able to go down to Indianapolis with family and friends for the Revive Our Hearts prayer conference. I've been wanting to go to this women's conference for a couple of years now, and I'm so glad I finally got to go! I met Mary Kassian, heard the Gettys in concert, and spent time fellowshipping with 7,000 other women in attendance. It was special. 


That capitol building was so old fashioned and beautiful. I wish we would have had more time to explore it. 


On our way home, I went to Chick-fil-a for the second time in my life. The frozen lemonade folks. THE FROZEN LEMONADE. HER SOUL WAS MADE FROM RAINBOWS. 

(ahem. That's a quote. From binge-watching studio c.) 


Our aunt treated us to Tinykittens t-shirts! We love the Tinykittens rescue ministry that has a 24/7 livestream. The people running it rescue feral cats and kittens and make them used to humans so they can give them warm, loving homes. One dear little kitten named Nano is going into surgery today for a miracle chance at survival, and we are praying for that miracle chance to be exactly what he needs for a long and happy life. 


And finally, super excited to add this to my home library this week, and get it signed this weekend! It's a great, encouraging, empowering little book on writing, and I would highly recommend it. :)

Now. As promised. Snippet of writing. This is from a story I'm writing about a girl who goes to visit her grandfather in the country. This particular scene picks up when she and her grandfather are going to church together on Sunday morning:

//
“It’s all modern now,” he told her. “Them young folks have gotten into the music like they always do. But the preaching is rare good, so I keep coming.”

There was someone at the organ when we came in—an old, white-haired saint. I hadn’t heard an organ in my life before. There was something fascinating about it all—the deep, majestic tones vibrating from the pipes at the side of the sanctuary, and the sounds of a hymn I didn’t know. Grandaddy found a seat on the right side, near the wall, and sat down with his thick, worn out King James balanced on his knee, closing his eyes as he waited for it to start.

I spent my time peeking up at him, wondering if he was sleeping, and keeping an eye around the sanctuary, as mothers with wet hair from the shower and older couples and singles folks all found their places in the pews. There were drums in the left corner of the stage, and as the clock hands drew closer to the half hour, a woman in a black dress with classic gold hoops in her ears took her place behind them. She had long, waved hair falling over her shoulders, like dark caramel with gold highlights, and her smile was so big as she waited with the drumsticks in her hands, nodding her head slightly to an inner rhythm that seemed quite different from the organ. She had beautiful, bright blue eyes.

I wish I felt that bright, I thought, looking down at my own blue leather bound Bible with a sudden tightening in my throat. Granddaddy said my Bible wasn’t really a Bible, and he would give me a new one with the correct version in it. I had never really thought about King James  before, except that it seems a very dusty and tangled way of saying things. But Grandaddy wouldn't hear of anything else, and he made me read out of an extra copy he kept around the house for the breakfast chapter, instead of using my own. I felt guilty using it for devotions up in my room, but I hadn’t gotten around to switching yet.

//

Happy weekend, folks! What are you reading? Writing? What's your favorite memory from September? I want to know!

6 comments:

  1. Your September sounds like it was absolutely wonderful. <3 I'm so glad for all the opportunities you're getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Victoria. God has been so good. I'll have to text you about some writing things! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's a lovely snippet, Schuyler!! It makes me think of something one might read out of a classic. :)
    And that capitol building *does* look beautiful! I'm glad ya'll had a fun time! :D

    oliviakfisher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet compliment to delight my classic-loving heart. Thank-you so much, Olivia! :)

      Delete
  3. Agh, I love that snippet so much! It made me smile. =) It sounds like you had a wonderful September. Hope you enjoy the conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad you like it! I need to write more in this story. I had a wonderful time at the conference! I think I need to attend writers' conferences full time. :wasntme:

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...