Friday, December 23, 2016

2016 Character Awards #Booktag


(thanks to Cait from PaperFury for this amazing 2016 wrap-up tag.) 

1. MOST RELATABLE CHARACTER
Tintin, because ya know, I'm always getting secret clues and traveling to worldwide locations like money is no object. 

Ha. ahahahahaha. ahem. 

Actually, two right now. In reading Anne of Windy Poplars, I find Anne extremely relatable at this time in my life. She and I are about the same age in that book, and the way she describes things in her letters, deeply enjoys people's various stories, and tries to navigate life are all very much the way I see things. 

Also Davie Balfour. I've always found him so terribly relatable in his outlook and personality, in spite of zero parallel between our life circumstances. 

2. MOST PURE AND PRECIOUS ANIMAL COMPANION
I was going to say SNOWY because how could you not, but then I realized that I've read several animal books this year. 

But seriously. Snowy. He is PRECIOUS. Go read Tintin immediately. 

3. FIERCEST FIGHTER
Ugh. How to choose between Finn MacCool's band, Drew Carter, or Erroll Stone.  THIS IS NOT GOOD, FOLKS. 

However, lingering in my memory are two fellows--Fiachna and Innsa, the sons of Finn MacCool. Their stand in The Hostel of the Quicken Trees makes my heart ache with glory. 

4. MOST AMAZING SIDEKICK
Oh, ow. Saul from To Get To You. He's a really fun guy, and it's cool to see the dad in the story have a friend instead of the kid.  

5. ONE YOU’RE SURPRISED YOU LOVED
Rudolf Rassendyll, from Prisoner of Zenda. I was expecting a fun little swashbuckler, but didn't expect my heart to be completely captured by his brave, honest courage. He's a hero worthy of accolades. 

6. BEST SASSMASTER
I don't remember any good sass, which is a pity because I love a little bit. OH. I know. Max and Ruby in Death Be Not Proud, by Suzannah Rowntree (part of the ONCE fairytale collection). They had lovely sass. 

7. BEST ANTI-HERO AND MORALLY GREY GRAPE
Best anti-hero would be Erroll Stone, hands down. Or Jack Boughton from Gilead

8. BEST WORST VILLAIN TO HATE
No one in books, really. It should have been Messala from Ben-Hur, but I didn't find him quite as dark as the radio show. So I'll go with Colin Campbell from Kidnapped because I'm a staunch Scottish lassie. 

9. TRULY ASTOUNDING WORST YA PARENTS
I think I read three YA books this year, and none of them had bad parents? Is this a new record? 

10. TRULY ASTOUNDING BEST YA PARENTS
Drew's mom and stepdad from Light of the Last. Their son goes into one of the most dangerous jobs in America, and is always showing up in jail or on a run for his life, and does this bother them? 

here honey, you can spend the night. totally not freaking out here. 

11. TOOT TOOT BEST SHIP OF THEM ALL
Looks at all the ships to choose from and decides to go down with the ships rather than choose. 

BUT if I had to choose...

Bella and John were such fun in Our Mutual Friend, I can't wait to see more of Parvin and Solomon, and Anne and Gilbert will always have my allegiance. 

12. THE MOST IN NEED OF PROTECTION
Drew Carter. He's got angels turned out in full force to look after him. 

13. MOST BORING AS A BARNACLE
There were a couple, but we will not mention them. 

14. BEST LITTLE ROYAL
Abdullah from Tintin. Takes royal to a whole new level. 

15. VERY SURPRISED YOU’RE STILL ALIVE
I just--don't know? There was one, but that would be spoilers, so no names. 

16. BEST AT HORRIBLE DECISION MAKING

ANNE WHEN SHE REFUSED GILBERT. 

worst.decision.ever

17. CUTEST DORK
Professor Calculus. Because seriously, who else? 

18. CLEVEREST LITTLE GUY
Jude, for his tune chip and for his other fascinating abilities, which we will not talk about because spoilers. I loved him very much. (A Time to Die

19. MOST IN NEED OF A NAP

me me me 

But seriously, Kaja, in A Sparrow in Terezin. She needs it way more than I do, in a serious and heartwrenching kind of way.

20. WANT TO READ MORE ABOUT YOU
Riley Kane, from To Get To You. I would totally love another novella about him and his new family dynamic. He seems to be on an upward trajectory after working really hard to get there, and I really enjoyed his character arc. 

Stay tuned next week for the 2016 blog wrapup and this year's reading list--which is longer than I thought, because Goodreads hasn't been counting everything. 

Merry Christmas, my fellow bibliophiles! May your weekend be bright with joy and worship. 

4 comments:

  1. This is so fun! I want to do one, only typing it out will be a feat. :P Lol Yes, Parvin + Solomon! I have ATtD from the library, and will begin reading it as soon as I finish Defy. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you had a voice-to-text program! I hope you still can--even if it's abbreviated. Get better soon! <3

      Delete
  2. Haha! I love this so much, and I'm chuffed that Max and Ruby won the sass award. They were a huge amount of fun to write because of that =)

    Get that nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They deserved it. I love them to bits. ^_^

      Got it! After a long afternoon reading. So perfect.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...