Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Currently // December 2016



This post was written Monday on three hours of sleep. Beware.

Writing // A Colby Country Christmas. Full of donuts and coffee and snow and family time and aesthetic galore. Don't you just love the word aesthetic? It sounds so artsy and smart. This story is all about aesthetic, and nothing too traumatic so far.

(besides separating an engaged couple over the holidays *cough*)

Listening // To Christmas music. Here are my recommendations:

Joy: An Irish Christmas, Keith and Kristyn Getty (The studio CD is my favorite over the live rendition, but that's just me.) With joyous, heartstirring melodies including Mary's Magnificat and Jesus, Joy of the Highest Heaven.

A Hollens Family Christmas, by Peter Hollens--with two renditions of his new favorite, December song, as well as stirring acapella versions of Belief, O Come O Come Emmanuel, I've listened to this several times since it released.

Heavenly Christmas, by Jackie Evancho--still my favorite of her two CDs, with beautiful renditions of Walking in the Air and O Come All Ye Faithful.

Someday At Christmas, Jackie Evancho--I'm just beginning to explore this new album, and aside from Hallelujah, I like all the song selections she chose.

The Classic Christmas Album, Celtic Thunder--This is an updated version of their older Christmas album, which I actually prefer much better, but if you're looking for some classic Christmas songs done very well, these guys nail it. I like all the songs except Fairytale of New York, which I don't recommend.

Studying // How to have a sophron (sound, reigned-in, healthy) mind through the True Woman 201 study by Mary Kassian and Nancy Leigh DeMoss. This is truth my mind needs so much, and I recommend this study to everyone.

Celebrating // The last day of teaching before Christmas break. What ho, writing time! Debating over working on War of Honor or novellas. My poor patient beta readers. It's just, I have to make VERY DIFFICULT DECISION about the plot, (basically who dies which will affect everything) and I am Miss Betwixt and Between.

(Kudos if you can name the book that spin-off came from.)

Watching // I need to watch The Scarlet Pimpernel, because I lost my skip n' mute list for that movie, so I have to replace it. Basically, I am the manual VidAngel remote for this household. I love stories so much that I'm willing to take the time and effort. Plus, The Scarlet Pimpernel is worth the trouble.

Bonjour, Monsieur *howls of laughter*

Lately, we've polished off Little Dorrit, A Matter of Faith, and Mansfield Park. Because I'm on Amazon Prime trial, I'd also like to polish off Bleak House before the Christmas holidays end.

Thankful // creamy drinks, colored Christmas lights, melted snow dripping on the roof, wakeful nights with Jesus, friends who pray with and for me, cozy sweatshirts, Bible studies about Jesus in John.

I am so thankful for a life with aesthetic. Aren't you?

That's my word for the day. Tell me what you're watching/studying/thankful for, folkies. I'd love to know.

8 comments:

  1. This is such a great list. =) And you've given me some new Christmas music to try! *trots off to look it up* You're thankful list is lovely too. :) I'm thankful for white Christmas lights and rain on the roof, and time to do things (like actually write something!).

    And yes, aesthetic is wonderful. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your thankful list too, Katherine! It reflects post Bible Bee. :D :D I think Christmas break is always invites peace and relaxation...

      Yay! I hope you enjoy the music! :D I had fun reading your post yesterday and listening to the Humbug song. :)

      Delete
  2. Love this post. <3 Fun reading the random, 3-hour-of-sleep kind once in a while. Er, not so fun losing sleep, though it sounds like you make good use of it. *hug*
    And I'll have to go back over those Christmas music recommendations. ;) We've been listening to the Celtic Thunder Christmas album, and I know we have the Getty one -- just need to pull it out. Oh, yes, Jackie Evancho ...almost forgot about her Christmas music...hmm, need to hunt for that.

    Breaks from teaching. Ahh, wonderful stuff. Mine starts following the 19th. ;)

    Oooooh, oh, oh! Colby Country Christmas!!! Going to be epic...in that not so life-threatening, earth-shattering way, right? Yes, aesthetic is good...I remember when I first starting hearing the word used frequently -- a certain history course we did. Love the word; describes so much. Part of the good gifts the Lord is so gracious to leave in a fallen world -- never ceases to amaze me that He does that.
    I need to take that time to create it and enjoy it this Christmas season. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement.

    Christmas blessings and much love,
    Kenga ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good night--spending time with God in the wee sma's. Though I hope to be getting better sleep this week. :)

      Yay! I love the CT album! Spotify has all the albums I mentioned, so that's a great resource to find them for free!

      Yay--you're almost there! We're BOTH going to enjoy a break from things. You WILL relax now, won't you? Take out a nice book and a cup of tea or cocoa and have a lovely week escaping to faraway lands and adventures. I'll have to see if I can send Colby your way in time for Christmas--I'm hoping, but not pushing. :P


      Wonderful words--enjoy, love, create, relish this Christmas season. I need to try to do that too. It's easy for it all to slip away, but I don't want to do that this year. We'll have to keep in touch with how we do!

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  3. I adore Peter Hollens's new Christmas album! I think it's my favourite of his so far. :)

    I need to look up Joy: An Irish Christmas on Spotify, it sounds delightful! And I had no idea Celtic Thunder had a Christmas album, as well! (*rushes off to look that one up, too*)

    ~Liv
    oliviakfisher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome one! I was going to listen to it again today, but my computer crashed just before I got started....

      I hope you enjoy the others very much, Liv! Thank-you so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. I love your Christmas music list :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...