Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Winter TBR


Tomorrow is the first day of winter. We have our ever-faithful winter companions of snowdrifts and icicles to keep us cozy and indoors. I, personally, am keeping warm with thick sweaters and socks and extra heat on my bed.

Along with books, of course, which warm the heart.

awards self Pulitzer prize for that sentence of literary excellence

I'm currently reading L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Windy Poplars) and Nicholas Nickleby. Both are amazing good fun. I'm also watching Bleak House.

(Is reading Dickens and watching Dickens too much Dickens for one Dickensian fangirl? Of course not.) 

All right, all right. I'll leave you my winter reading list and stop trying to make up bad jokes.

Nicholas Nickleby
Been waiting to read this little humongous fella for a few years. I have my own copy, and discovered a long lost postcard in it with beautiful artwork by Jan Bower that I didn't know I had. It was a pleasure to re-discover. So far I like Nicholas, but his uncle is nothing to write home about. I also want to know more about Mr. Nobb. I have a feeling I'll like him.

Storm Siren
I'm going to co-read this with Annie Hawthorne so we can discuss and swap thoughts/feels/etc.

Dostoyevsky
I can't remember what I'm going to start with, to be honest, but I think it's The Brothers Karamazov. Or Crime and Punishment. Whatever is the bigger one. High time to crack into Russian literature.

finish The Book of Lost Tales, Part 2, by Tolkien
Two years on the TBR stack is long enough, especially since I promised to read the Fall of Gondolin long ago.

God and Charles Dickens
One I very much want to finish before the winter season is out, so I can draw some intelligent conclusions on his life.

There you are, folkies. Small. Hopefully manageable and accomplishable. What do you want to read this winter? I'd love to know!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, Dostoevsky sounds interesting! I started to read The Brothers Karamazov a while back and, even though I adored the main character Alyosha, I decided to put it aside until I was a little more familiar with the political setting (since, I was told, Dostoevsky's later stuff tends to be really political). But when I could keep up with the conversations the characters were having, it was fascinating. :) I've also really enjoyed the short stories and novellas I've read from Dostoevsky.

    I'm not sure what I'm going to read this winter (I'm terrible at sticking to TBR lists so I usually don't make them), but I did just get a nice pretty volume of John Donne's poetry for Christmas. Maybe I'll read that through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea. Russian politics would be interesting, though I think tough to dig into. I don't know how I'll ever pronounce the names...I can't wait to read it, though--I found both titles at thrift sales!

      Poetry sounds absolutely lovely for the Christmas holidays! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. *pounces on TBR*

    Once I finish the annoying hobgoblin that is Moby Dick, I'm tackling Universe Next Door (yay nonfiction), Watership Down, and The Zookeeper's Wife (yay more nonfiction).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *makes note not to read Moby Dick*

      Yay for nonfiction? I am quite impressed. (bow)

      Delete
  3. Andrew of the House of LaceyDecember 23, 2016 at 7:49 PM

    Oh yes, do finish the Book of Lost Tales II! I first found both of these books at the library and from then on, you might have thought they lived at my house.
    The fall of Gondolin is so much more explored in the BOLT than in the Silmarillian or Unfinished Tales. A much deeper perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be one of my first going into January! I'm reading it out of order, having never read book 1, but Gondolin persuaded me to read this one first.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...