Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My Lady Bibliophile's 5th Birthday!


We are 5 today.

*spins around in a swirl of gold and sparkles*

This was the year we passed 500 blog posts. We did link-ups. We laughed. Reviewed books from all over the place. Beta read. Helped with book releases. Added even more to the TBR pile. Knocked a bit off the TBR pile. Tried to be a little less dignified on occasion. Managed to be just as dignified as usual.

Five years ago, almost to the day, I launched that first post on the internet and joined the blogosphere. It was after I graduated highschool, just a couple of weeks after, I think. My dad had two requests when I started: that I have a purpose and that I maintain consistency. That bedrock vision has driven the blog ever since, and I'm thankful for his original request, which now gives me a portfolio of writing and a habit of self-discipline to work off of.

You rarely start a blog looking 5 years down the road at where you'll be--but I figured there was enough to talk about to get me quite a ways. Now, in 2017, there's still just as much material ahead we haven't covered. And over 5 years, I think I've grown from a visionary 17 year old to a still visionary but more mature twenty-something. I don't regret the journey. It takes time to grow and learn, and I still have a lot more growing and maturing to do.

(i know your age schuyler, 5+17 is easy math.) 

This blog has been a gift from God to me, unfolding year after year after year after year after year after year. I'm so, so happy. Grateful for all the gifts that make up the epic whole. I know how to read. I have a reading mother who introduced me to so many wonderful books. I have a laptop and good internet I can post with. I have time to do this. Companies will send me books to review, and I have the resources to buy some books for myself. I'm grateful for God's Word to measure books against, and a sound mind to think through issues and themes and characters.

I'm grateful for all of you. Every comment, every suggestion and kind word, every retweet. Without you all, this blog would not be half so fun. Because it's really when you can have a conversation around books that the books have meaning.

I hope to organize a giveaway soon to celebrate 5 years of bookishness. In the meantime, I'll post some goals we're steerings towards in 2017.

Bookish Themes for 2017 
For housekeeping items, I put this on the goals last year and didn't get it done, so I'm going to try again for a blog redesign. We needs it, precious. I also plan to update the book review and articles pages. I want to get them in ship-shape for resources again. I'll probably be taking a week off sometime this quarter to focus on that latter goal.

Last year's theme was Big Books--and we tackled some big ones, from Dickens to Tolkien to Metaxas, to Ben-Hur. It was glorious to knock those off the TBR. This year is going to be a little different. Ever since I've started the blog, I've been wanting to re-read and review some of my childhood favorites, from Frances Hodgson Burnett to Walter Farley. This year I'm going to intentionally read some of those. We'll also have a lot of review books and classics just like usual, though, so don't flee. The blog isn't changing.

I'm also planning a Persuasion read-along in celebration of the 200th anniversary of its publication. I do hope you'll join me for some classic Jane Austen fun!

But best of all, in celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, I hope to read some Reformation themed books and post reviews on the blog to mark the occasion. This is a big year. I don't want it to go by without intentionally making time to remember what God did at that time in history. I hope you'll join me for the adventure, and if you have any Reformation-themed titles to suggest, please tell me!

It's going to be exciting, friends. I'm looking forward to reading, thinking, laughing, and wondering with you. Thanks be to God for his incredible faithfulness and lavish gifts.

I do hope you'll join me for virtual cupcakes. :)

20 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Lady B! <3
    I'm really looking forward especially to the books on the Reformation reviews. That will be epic, I'm sure. :)
    Love,
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Lizzy! I'm so excited about those too--I think it's going to be a fun year for reading! :D

      ~Schuyler

      Delete
  2. Happy Happy HAPPY Birthday, My Lady Bibliophile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *scatters a million sparkly diamonds of confetti and stars*
    WOW. 5 years... I remember the time when I first bumped into your blog five years ago, after you left that sweet comment on my blog. I remember loving it so much back then, but I smile thinking how I didn't realize then what a wonderful friend and sister you were to become for me, and what joys we'd share in the Lord and in literature and stories! It's been an amazing ride! I've been so encouraged, blessed and inspired by you and your blog, dearest Schuyler, and in your perspective of how to read purposefully and richly. You are a great blessing, a talented writer, and a beautiful friend, and I am so thankful to know you! <3

    I look forward all the 2017 goals you have in mind :). Both in the design change, and in the content and reading plans! THEY SOUND EXCITING!!

    *Hugs*
    Blessings, dear friend!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chance meeting on the road, as Gandalf would say, that obviously wasn't chance at all, but the most wonderful Hand of God. Thank-you so much for your love and kind words, Joy! Your comments are always a blessing to me, and I'm looking forward to another year of bookish joys and discoveries together. <3

      Much Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  3. I'd love to join you for the Persuasion re-along! This is going to be my year for re-reads, and that one is on the list.
    Happy Birthday to one of my favorite book blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be so excited to read Persuasion with you, Sarah! It's going to be so fun!

      And thank-you for the birthday wishes. ^_^ Your presence here is always a blessing.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! I'm excited about your Bookish Themes. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett is one of my favorite books. It's been a while since I've read it so maybe I'll add it to this year's list. And I want in on the Persuasion read-along, too. Congrats on five years of informative, thoughtful, and fun posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so long since I've read The Secret Garden--I figured it was about time! I'm really looking forward to re-discovering it. :)

      Thank-you so much!

      Delete
  5. Happy blogiversary, Schuyler!!!! :D

    ~Liv
    oliviakfisher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Can't wait to see what else you bring to your blog this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Classic Girl! It's going to be a fun year! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday!!! I vaguely remember the first time I read one of your posts (I think it was a Goldstone Wood review?). I found it through G+, through Carrie-Grace. XD Your blog has been a huge blessing to me (although maybe not to my tbr, haha!). I can't wait to see where it goes this year! And I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the redesign, too. Happy New Year, and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Katherine!! I love reading your comments on the blog, and it was a treat to have you guest posting this year too! Thank-you so much for your encouragement and for joining in the bibliophile fun! I appreciate your depth of insights from getting to know you. Hooray for another year of bookish adventures, and God bless you too! :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Schuyler!! That is awesome that you've been blogging consistently for five years. That is definitely something to feel good about. I haven't known about your blog for very long, but look forward to following this year. Love the idea about the Persuasion read-along - that's one of my faves! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Anna! It was good to chat writing with you, and I'm looking forward to chatting about it again some time! I'd love to have you join in the Persuasion read-along if you're interested--I'm still finalizing dates, but it should be a fun discussion! :)

      Delete
  9. What a magnificent milestone, Lady Bibliophile! 5 years!!!
    I remember when we first stumbled across your blog that first spring, and then we figured out that it was Schuyler behind the "Lady B".

    I've learned so, so much from this blog...worldview, the value of fiction, savoring the beauty of life...plus adding a whole ton to my TBR list that I never would have known of otherwise. I'm so grateful to all the work and heart that you've poured into this blog and into us readers in the past 5 years. God has done amazing things, hasn't He? It's been quite a journey.

    So HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    Btw, I'm most excited for the coming year. The Reformation themes sound epic, and the Persuasion read-along sounds intriguing to try. And childhood favorites -- sounds like some good fun; I've always wondered about what else is out there, as I've thought back to my own reading when younger.

    Best wishes to the My Lady Bibliophile blog in the coming years!
    Kyla <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyla-girl, Thank-you so much. Your paperbacks in their beautiful, tangible splendor are so wonderful. Sometimes my review copies are on the computer, so knowing about your actual paperbacks are a joy to my bookworm heart. You already have collected a wonderful legacy on your shelves to pass on. :D

      I can't wait for the Reformation theme either!! It will be wonderful to talk about that together. :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on five years! I remember when you first started and have watched your faithfulness to the purpose and consistency in the process. I have enjoyed seeing you grow. You have taught me much in your posts. I look forward to seeing God's leading in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for reading it so faithfully and for encouraging me to start a quality work right at the beginning. <3 I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...