Friday, February 17, 2017

Jane Austen Week Tag


We have a deep review coming on The Blue Castle and adulthood, but I'm taking my time as I write it. I want to think, pray, and make sure that I am expressing opinions with appropriate biblical thought. (Really, I want to blurt out all I think, but I also want to be cautious. It's a tricky topic and one easily misunderstood.)

So while I craft it, (you'll hopefully see it Tuesday, but if not, then by next Friday) I saw a really fun Jane Austen tag on Elisabeth Grace Foley's blog courtesy of Hamlette, and I thought I would join in!

1.  Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one?

Guys, it was Pride and Prejudice. The Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice (high five to my parents, everyone). On Sunday nights we would watch an episode of it while eating dinner (Sunday night has always been movie and popcorn night). It was back when we were young. We sat on the floor on giant beanbags and balanced our plates of popcorn using small children's chairs for tables.

I just had a nostalgic moment. 

Those cliffhangers were killers, though. Who hates the end of episode 4 with me?

2.  What is your favorite Austen book?

MansfieldParkandNorthangerAbbey

3.  Favorite heroine?  Why do you like her best?


Fanny. She's one of the best examples of someone who is moral granite--absolutely will not be moved against her conscience--and yet doesn't have a particle of insistence where her personal preferences are concerned. She will stand for principle, but not for inclination. 


4.  Favorite hero?  Why do you like him best?

I would probably be torn between Mr. Knightley and Henry Tilney. Mr. Knightley is a super kind, friendly, normal neighbor who I think would weather marriage well. I especially love his sarcastic quips in the newest Emma adaptation. Henry Tilney is funny, but also incredibly kind when he finds Catherine in a vulnerable position after her imagination runs away with her. He has a gentle touch dealing with embarrassment and shame that endeared me to him from the first read. 


5.  Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work?

That's so hard. I love the new Sense and Sensibility (though the dresses aren't always modest), and the newer Emma. I think I'd always pick a Dickens movie as my first choice, but Jane Austen is very nice to relax with.


6.  Have your Austen tastes changed over the years?  (Did you start out liking one story best, but now like another better?  Did you think she was boring at first, then changed your mind?  Etc.)

I've always enjoyed her, I think, though it's been years since I've read some of the novels. Now we like to watch the movies a lot, and I've kind of fallen to relying on them for my Jane Austen fix. I still have the same favorite books, though. (See Question 1.)


7.  Do you have any cool Austen-themed things (mugs, t-shirts, etc)?  (Feel free to share photos if you want.)

I don't. I have a bunch of beat-up old Austen books that I got at book sales (and a new copy of Mansfield Park). I own the 1980s Mansfield Park movie, which is excellent, sans language (great will the family's woe when we have to split up our movie collection), but I don't think I have any Austen paraphernalia beyond that. This is a sad thing that must be remedied.

Wait. Yes, I do! :) Some lovely friends made me a notebook with a Jane Austen theme. It contains all the plottings for War of Honor inside it. Delicious secrets....

8.  If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her?

"What is your personal religious worldview, and how does it affect your writing?" 


I know we can deduce, but I would love to have it settled once and for all from her own lips. 


9.  Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads.  What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?

Mansfield Park. It has never, NEVER been done properly with modern cinematography. It would be hard to beat the original Sylvestra Le Touzel and Nicholas Farrell, but let me put on my thinking cap. Fanny needs to be kind, and able to pull off someone shy but morally strong. I think Claire Foy could pull her off. Holiday Grainger would make a very good Mary Crawford. I have no idea who could do Edmund Bertram.

10.  Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations!

Some that are quoted quite often at the appropriate sarcastic moment in our house: 


"What do we live for but to make sport for our neighbors, and to laugh at them in our turn?" ~Mr Bennet. 


"Your hands are cold." (2005 Pride and Prejudice. It makes me snicker.) 


"Deal the cards for me, Fanny." ~Lady Bertram, 1980s Mansfield Park 


I'll cheat and share a favorite movie scene, too. The scene with Mr. Knightley and Emma dancing is the perfect dance in the history of ever. It beats out Cinderella, and that's saying a lot. 


I can't think of five. -.- I'm sorry. 


Hope you have a happy weekend, folkies. Curl up with a book and relax for a while this evening. And join in the celebration over at Hamlette before the 18th to get in on the Jane Austen celebration! 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a great question for #8—I actually considered that one myself.

    Everybody seems to agree that we need a good Mansfield Park adaptation! Somebody else who did the tag suggested Claire Foy as Fanny too, and while I've never seen her act, I think she definitely looks right for the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire Foy plays in Little Dorrit, a wonderful, wonderful adaptation of a Dickens story. Not all the statues in it are good, but I highly recommend her character. She's so sweet. <3

      Delete
  2. Awesome version of the tag! It's amazing how many people have done it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you that Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey are the best! I would also include The Watsons. Though it was never finished, I think it would have been a great novel.

    I agree the Mansfield Park adaptations have been very lacking. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Watsons yet! I'd love to give that one a try!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...