Tuesday, February 7, 2017

On the Mail Stack: February



A short post today. I'm tackling a stack of work things. And I was tackling them yesterday too.

Adult life.

schuyler, all ages have lots of work things to do. don't be a snob. 

But I wanted to leave you a little something to tide you over until Friday, when we're going to have an epic book discussion (I'm still deciding between a couple of books--they're going to be good.)

While we wait, I thought you might enjoy some missives I received recently from a couple of fictional characters.

From The Book of Lost Tales II, by Tolkien 

To her ladyship, from King Turgon

I noticed your presence on the towers of Gondolin last week, after weary years of delay. Unfortunately, your presence did not turn the tide of battle. Neither the fire drakes nor the balrogs were excessively dismayed by your presence, and I was sorely dismayed to find that you did not come bringing reinforcements with you.

Please bear in mind that if you had not left my fate on the TBR stack since 2014, Gondolin might not have fallen. An elf king can only hold Melko at bay so long.

I write this hasty line with the sound of cries outside my walls. I hope they echo in your conscience.

Turgon, lord of Gondolin

From Kilmeny of the Orchard, by L.M. Montgomery 

Dear Miss Schuyler,
Eric here. I'm flattered that you remained glued to the fate of my wooing while making dinner for your family Friday night. It was sheer luck that nothing burned. (The hash browns on Wednesday were a bit tough, though you weren't reading at the time.) Our love story was a literary feast before dinner, wasn't it? Even if you did have to stop one page away from The End because dinner was ready. I couldn't help laughing, but Kilmeny sympathized. I don't think you should make reading while cooking a common practice. Your family will probably thank you.

Eric Marshall

PS. You also burned the toast Friday morning because you were reading, but I won't cast it up to you. After all, it was only your toast and not anyone else's.


really, i think i deserve more respect from fictional characters  

9 comments:

  1. Love these! <3 You know, Kilmenny would make a really nice girl's name IRL. It sounds very Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound Irish! I might have to bookmark it for future reference. :D

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic! :D

    Thanks for putting a happy smile on my face while reading it, Schuyler dear. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, these are so funny and I've never even read the stories these characters are from. You should do more posts like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to! I've done some character letters on the blog which I write *to* the characters but just recently I thought it would be fun if they wrote back! :)

      Delete
  4. These are hysterical!! I hope to see more like this in the future. If only fictional characters actually wrote back. :)

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Dani!! I know, right? Wouldn't it be lovely to correspond with fictional characters? :D

      Delete
  5. Gahh! I'd settle even for a disrespectful letter from TURGON KING OF GONDOLIN. It's a shame the city had to fall (tsk tsk, Schuyler), but then if it hadn't, there would be no glorious "Lay of Earendil" for us to enjoy and Elrond would probably never have been born....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...