Friday, March 10, 2017

How to Buy a Whole Book Series in One Afternoon

(um, Schuyler, do I need help with something like this? yes. yes you do.) 



There are a few things Miss Schuyler gets excited about.

Chai lattes. Plot twists. Books.

Customer appreciation week at local bookstores.

Tuesday I was able to stop in for Customer Appreciation deals at my favorite hang-out spot. And boy, was that visit one for the books. (groan.)

*walks in with plan to purchase 1-2 books at 40% off price and as many discounted used books as possible within set budget*

*fills shopping basket*

*realizes with glee that all books within shopping basket may fit within budget*

*takes one more meander through shelves of new books just in case*

*sees ENTIRE SERIES OF FAVORITE BOOKS THAT CANNOT BE GOTTEN ON AMAZON AND ARE DISAPPEARING FROM THE EARTH*

*faints from ecstasy*

*puts them in shopping basket to see What Can Be Done*

*after vague recollection of sale on non-priced books, checks customer appreciation flyer to see that yes, FAVORITE BOOKS are 30% off.*

*also recollects coupon in purse. wonders if 30% off deal is only for Saturday. makes plans to persuade employees to hide said books until Saturday.*

*after leisurely afternoon of writing and tea, tracks down employee and asks if deal is only Saturday. angel in human form says that the sale extends all week. various other Forgotten And Rejected books fly out of shopping basket back to their respective places.*

*walks up to check out FAVORITE SERIES OF BOOKS. thankfully the same employee is at the counter who confirmed said books were on sale. breath of relief in case it had been a mistake somehow*

*dives about wildly for coupon. total 3 bucks over original budget, but 1 buck under revised budget, so all good*

*slowly realizes that in looking for coupon, a bottle of medication and a bag of crackers have been scattered on store counter*

*crams crackers in coat pocket from embarrassment. takes books and exits store thinking THIS IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.*

*sings very loudly from happiness on the way home*

*books match shirt for Instagram photos without even trying.*

I love how God surprises in delightful ways. Three new book friends are most welcome to the family.  But at the same time, I'm so sad because not everyone can get the paperbacks, so it feels a bit unfair to the rest of the bookworms. I hope, hope, hope they come back soon. In the meantime, you can get them on Kindle (I highly enjoyed reading them on Kindle, the ebooks were super fun to read) and A Time to Rise paperback (book 3) is $9 right now--on sale! <3 div="" nbsp="">


(The Out of Time series is a Christian dystopian series by a really sweet author Nadine Brandes.)

16 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Schuyler! It's super fun! And very relatable. ;)

    ~Liv
    oliviakfisher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! Bookworms unite--I bet we've all had one of these experiences. :)

      Delete
  2. I do not know how these things always happen to you (rare books+sale+coupon), but it's really fun to see how the Lord has blessed you in ways that, though unexpected, unmistakenly point to His specific love for you. (I CAN'T EVEN...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been savoring the end of your comment ever since you posted it--just ways that God is reminding me he loves me. Thank-you for posting that. <3

      Delete
  3. That is such a lovely, delightful treat, dear Schuyler! So glad you were able to acquire this series, and thank you for telling us the joy of your shopping experience. It's VERY relatable :D

    I won the first book "A Time to Die" in a giveaway, a few months ago, but I haven't had the time to dig into it. It looks like a great series. :)

    Have you read the books already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun day to browse and write in their little cafe! If you ever come out my way, I'll take you there.

      Ooo, I hope you like it! Dystopian is a new experience for me, but I thought Nadine's characters were so fun and relateable and well-drawn. A Time to Die is my favorite so far! I'm in the middle of the last book so far (A Time to Rise) so I'm almost done. :)

      Delete
  4. Haha, this was heaps of fun to read. I relate to your book-shopping experience a lot! And what, the paperbacks aren't available any more?! I was just being persuaded to get them. :( Anyway, glad that worked out for you. Thanks for sharing the joy with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are available here and there, so you might be able to find the paperbacks for a reasonable price! They're trying to get them back, but you know, I started reading them on Kindle and had just as lovely an experience with the ebooks as I would have with the paperbacks. I hope you can get them!

      Delete
  5. Oh my! What a hilarious post to read! You wrote it in a very enjoyable way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! I loved telling my family about it when I got home, and thought it'd be too fun not to make a blog post. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. Aww, so glad you were able to get these. New books make bibiophiles' hearts sing, don't they!?! Glad the Lord provided this great sale for you. <3

    Love,
    Kenga ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure, sure do! I've been singing ever since. I returned to the bookstore on Saturday for an errand, and bought another book while I was there. :wasntme: Good thing I cleaned up my books recently to make room for more. :P

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  7. I love it when that happens, Schuyler! It's definitely my favorite! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...