Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Spring TBR

is this font not adorable, somebody hold me
Happy Tuesday, folkies! The spring is really springing, as Pooh would say, and I am so happy to start collecting another TBR stack for the upcoming season. I love the focus these posts give me to tackle books intentionally--and when I'm wondering "what do I read next?" I can always come back to the blog.

Here's what I've picked for Spring 2017....

Life Together, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
It's been a long time since I've read Bonhoeffer's thoughts on the Christian life in his own words. Thanks to the gift of a friend, I've had Life Together waiting patiently for me, and since it's such a small book, and I'm currently studying friendship and community, I think it would be a very valuable selection for the Spring season.

Story Trumps Structure, by Steven James
I started it shortly after Christmas, and it got delayed in a threatening TBR stack. Since I think it's a fairly quick read, I want to finish it up during the spring season and report in my findings.

Reformation Heroes, by Joel Beeke
This will be my first book to celebrate the Reformation 500th anniversary! An excellent, beautifully formatted book written by Joel Beeke, it gives informative snapshot biographies of many key people in the Reformation era. If you only read one book about the Reformation this year, let this be the book.

The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
This is one of the selections I'm most keenly excited about for my children's classics re-reading in 2017. I've been wanting to evaluate The Secret Garden and Burnett's religious beliefs in it for some time, ever since I heard that it contained non-Christian ideology. While I'm nervous about delving into it, I do want to be able to evaluate it for myself.

Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame
An absolutely charming story, Wind in the Willows feels like a perfect spring tale. I've been waiting years to read it until I could own an edition with Kenneth Grahame illustrations. I'm so excited to get back to the friendships of Ratty and Mole and Toad and all the rest of the dear animals.

The Black Stallion, by Walter Farley
My childhood fandom, before Kidnapped, before Sherlock Holmes--I adored Alec and the Black and their adventures together. I absolutely cannot wait to rediscover them in a re-read.

How about you? What's on your current TBR stack? I'd love to know!

7 comments:

  1. Not sure my comment went through. So please delete if repeated. The Secret Garden by Hodgson has definitely Christian themes and ideology. Gives one pause to hear someone say it doesn't! Sounds like someone is out to debunk the classic.

    For Spring - I recommend 'Elizabeth's German Garden' by E. Von Armin. It may not have any ideology except love the earth and its flowers (?) Written in 'natural thought' and quite charming - just a lovely book.

    Ps Reading 'The Annotated** Secret Garden' by Gretchen Holbrook Gerzina and one could not ask for more from an annotated book. Great buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I love that idea of the Annotate Secret Garden! Thank-you so much for the recommendation, Patricia!

      Delete
  2. Life Together is fantastic! So convicting. I'm working through CS Lewis and the Art of Writing when I can, but it's hard not to be busy in the garden this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS Lewis on Writing would be wonderful! We're reading an Easter devotion by him right now, and I would love his thoughts on writing.

      Delete
  3. Ah I feel all nostalgic now! Great reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love a good moment of nostalgia. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah, those last three are old favorites! We did The Secret Garden as a read-aloud many years ago—it's definitely a charming and memorable story. I haven't re-read it in a long time, though, so I haven't really been through it with an adult perspective. I seem to remember that any 'iffy' philosophy was mostly concentrated in a few chapters near the end.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...