Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Very Important Update About War of Loyalties [and more details about when it's releasing]


April, 1917. A ring of German spies threatens the security of one of England’s coastal towns. Newly-recruited agent Ben Dorroll must discover who they are or risk disappointing his father. He never wanted to be an agent, but success means his first-ever chance at winning the respect of the father he’s never met. When he learns that his family identity holds a clue to capturing the spy ring, he has to choose between his family loyalties and the security of the nation he hates. Truth is what he is paid to uncover. But truth may be more painful than he ever imagined. 

the first draft, a long, long time ago
Once upon a time, there was a high school girl who wrote and wrote and wrote.

It was just her, and loose-leaf lined paper, a pen, and a bunch of characters who never quite let go.

In fact, if you talk to her today, they still haven't let go. Know her for long, and you'll start hearing things like War of Loyalties, WoL, Ben, Jaeryn, and Terry. It's kind of the fine print of friendship. Along with her, there comes an invisible crowd of these characters, because they're so loved and twined up in her heart, that she never stops talking about them for long. In fact, they've kind of become family.

It was a golden dream in highschool--just her writing about a down-on-his-luck doctor who was called to something he never wanted to do in a little town in England where spies lived. A story of betrayal (this girl loves drama) and friendship (this girl loves friendship) and tough choices (boy, does this girl love giving her characters tough choices).

Then that girl, by the grace of God, wrote the end on that stack of loose-leaf lined paper. She celebrated and posted a selfie on social media. (Who wouldn't?) A few weeks later, she started in on draft two. And the hard work just continued on. She learned how to actually write a book. She sent WoL to friends (so many best friends, who gave themselves so much to this project, reading and praying through this whole crazy adventure.) She and Ben and Jaeryn and Terry packed up and went to writer's conferences (made possible by generous, giving hands) and they kept on learning, and learning, and learning. Meeting people. Talking. Asking questions. Making mistakes. All under the grace of God. And they kept on dreaming to release this book sometime during the World War One centennial (2014-2018).

Writing a book is a bit like a fire, a flood, a famine, a romance, a hard day's work, a sleepless night all on endless repeat. You do not merely write a book. You are an instrument of carrying it, like Madeleine L'Engle says in Walking on Water, (pg. 8, 2016 Convergent edition), and you submit yourself to the process of giving it flesh and bone and being often at great cost.

The girl is still learning--about taxes and business and sole proprietorships, and all the things that self-publishing brings with it. But she wouldn't trade it for the world, because somehow, she still loves those characters just as much as she did at the beginning, and she would do pretty much anything for them.

Like a romance, that spark amidst the hard work is still there.

And here's what this girl really wants to say: the news that I've been holding in my hands these last few weeks now. By the grace of God, War of Loyalties could come to you this year.


I'll be self-publishing this novel, and my goal is to get it out sometime in November/December. That's a lot of hard work, but things are already moving forward. McConkey Press is a real-live name now. The first half of the novel is with an editor. And I'm doing my best to line up the details one step at a time (the Lord is still showing me so much grace in teaching me things I need to know.)

But like all along this journey, there are some mountains I can't climb alone. This book stands on the prayers, the advice, the love and helping hands of many dear people. And to be honest--I need just as many prayers and helping hands in the months ahead. If you would like to join me in this adventure, stay tuned to the blog. I'll have more details releasing very soon on how you can pray and support this project (including the first opportunity to reserve your own copy of War of Loyalties on Kickstarter). I hope that very, very soon, you can love these characters as much as I do--and know their whole story.

Meet War of Loyalties 
Intrigued? Want to know more? Read snippets of War of Loyalties here:

October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015 
March 2015 
April 2015

Meet the Characters 
Benjamin Dorroll (main character)
Jaeryn Graham (more Jaeryn here)
Charlotte Dorroll 
Terry O'Sean (more Terry here)

34 comments:

  1. Oh Schuyler. I'm so insanely excited for this. You're certainly in my prayers and I know God will give you lots of grace and wisdom during this time. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am insanely excited too. This whole process from writing to publishing has been a dream come true. Thank-you for your prayers, dear!

      Delete
  2. *SQUEALS AND CLAPS HANDS AND IS VERY VERY EXCITED* Aww, how exciting that you've come to that place where you're finally ready to go through the publication process. I AM SO HAPPY AND EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!! <3

    Life's so busy right now, but let me know all the news, okay, dear friend? Also in the break, I'd love to help with anything you might need in the publication process ^_^. May God bless this endeavour!
    Lots of love,
    your friend Joy <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *JUMPS AROUND IN EXCITEMENT* It's so amazing to be sharing this together. Thank-you for sharing in my excitement with me--That is the kindest, kindest thing, and I can't wait! Yes! We will be in touch about publication, I definitely want you on my street team! All the love, dear Joy. <3

      Delete
  3. SO THRILLED! I can't believe this is happening for you!!! *Dancing* You're amazing. I cannot wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, THANK-YOU for sharing in my joy with me! It makes me so happy to see your excitement. <3

      Delete
  4. AHHHH THIS IS SO EXCITING!! I can't wait to read it finally!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be so amazing to hold a print copy!! I cannot wait either. :D

      Delete
  5. YAY! I was just thinking about WoL the other day, and now this! I'm so excited for you and this journey, Schuyler! I can't wait to read it and meet Ben, Jaeryn, Terry, and the others. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't that be amazing?

      Delete
    2. It makes me so happy you were thinking of WoL the other day! I can't wait for you to meet the fellas! :D :D

      @Joy--I just can't imagine the feeling of holding a print copy. O.o

      Delete
  6. Yay!!! ^_^ I'm so looking forward to holding a hard copy in my hands. I can't wait to see what the Lord does this year. <333

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I bet Terry is bouncing off the walls about this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry is pretty excited. I'm pretty excited too. :D :D :D :D I'm so excited for what the Lord will do, too. <3

      Delete
  8. THIS IS SO EXCITING!! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ THIS AND THE FACT THAT IT IS ACTUALLY COMING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT LEAVES ME GLOWING WITH JOY. 6 MONTHS!

      Delete
  9. HURRAY!! I have waited so long for this moment! This is really happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Power King will soon be released to the general public. This is epic.

      Delete
  10. Eeeek, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you. :D (And Ben and Jaeryn and Terry! ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those three fellas have been so patient with me. I'm glad they stuck around this long. Thank-you so much, Natalie! :)

      Delete
  11. This is good news! I look forward to hearing more.
    ~Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordan! More news coming next week!

      Delete
  12. I'm ridiculously excited about this!!! This is tremendous news! I can't wait for you to introduce this wonderful (and sometimes dysfunctional) family to the world. =)
    I'm praying for you!

    ~Lydia H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grace of God at work. World meet Dorrolls. World meet Power King. #eep

      Thank-you for your prayers, Lydia! Trusting the Lord to continue to make this journey clear, every step of the way.

      Delete
  13. Oh, what fun! Hey, if you want advance readers (I much prefer paper, though, so that might be difficult), or a review or promotion on a blog, I'd love to do it!

    This is so exciting to see it actually happening, and know it's not just you dreaming about it.

    https://ofdreamsandswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, Sophia! I would love advance readers! (unfortunately I don't know if I can do paper for this book, which is sad, but we will see!)

      Dreams that are becoming tangible are amazing. I want to use this to help other people reach their dreams, too--once the Lord has taught me some things about reaching mine!

      Delete
  14. Oh wow, this is so awesome! Many congratulations!!! Sounds like you've been waiting for this for a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long time. It probably could be even longer, but you know? Time passes, and it has been full of love and happiness and sweat and growth, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

      Delete
  15. Oh, Schuyler!! I'm SO excited for you. This is amazing news. I can't wait to be able to hold the published version of War of Loyalties in my hands. WoL is my favorite book...I love it so much, and the people within it. You are an amazing, talented writer.
    I will be praying for you in these next months as you work through the publishing process.
    Way to go, girl!! You've worked so hard for this! Congratulations!
    Love, Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, you are so sweet. I'm thrilled to pieces you love WoL so much, and I can't wait to hold it too! We should get a picture together. Thank-you for the prayers. I can't wait to see where they will lead--God answers are so good.

      Love,
      Schuyler

      Delete
  16. :') I am so happy.

    Congratulations, Schuyler.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, sooooo exciting! I can't wait! God bless you, Schuyler! I am happy beyond words, dear friend! :) <3
    (Tell Carrie-Grace I said hello!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, thank-you!!!! :D :D :D I will pass on your greetings to CG!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...