Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Summer TBR + War of Loyalties Guest Post

via Pixabay
War of Loyalties Update + Guest Post

Looking for more news about War of Loyalties? Check out a post at Defending the Legacy covering some of the historical details and sources I used in the book--including enlistment law and the bomb drop in Folkestone.

Historical Details in War of Loyalties: Life on the Home Front in WW1 


The final days are ticking away on the War of Loyalties Kickstarter! On Thursday, June 22nd, at 11:59 pm, the last chance to donate--and our last chance to raise $5,000--will be gone. Kickstarter is all or nothing--meaning if we don't hit $5K, we're back to $0. Backers have poured so much incredible support into this project, and I am praying and trusting that the Lord will provide the rest. God will not let us lack the resources we need to accomplish the work he calls us to do in HIS way and timing.

You can check out the project on Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/968825317/bring-war-of-loyalties-to-print-historical-fiction?ref=user_menu

As soon as we hit 75%, (Just $90 to that milestone!) I'll put up a poll so you can vote for the characters you want to hear from. Then I'll start writing up a character interview with them! You can ask the top-voted characters any question you want, too! Just shoot me a comment (below), Tweet, or Facebook message, or email me at ladybibliophileblog[AT]gmail[DOT]com with questions you want the characters to answer! :) This is going to be fun!

Will you pray with me over the next few days for wisdom, confidence, and faithful stewardship of the opportunities the Lord has given me? I would appreciate that so much!



Summer TBR Stack 

Heading into the summer season, I've got some neat books lined up to tackle--I'm really excited about all of these.

Rescuing the Gospel: the Story and Significance of the Reformation, by Erwin Lutzer
This book covers some of the history of the Reformation. I didn't get around to my other Reformation read this spring, so I definitely want to cover Erwin Lutzer's book this summer, especially because I'll be doing some discussion lessons about the Reformation in the fall. This is an incredible time to cement why we believe what we believe and remember the people who helped us reclaim the authority of the Scriptures.

(Want more information about the Reformation? Check out my brother's incredible studies here.)

Boundaries, by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
I started this book, got so frustrated with myself because it was basically a mirror of my life, (totally not the book's fault) and then put it down again. But, after calming down and being so encouraged by K.M. Weiland's thoughts on it, I'm picking it back up again and heartily enjoying myself. It's an excellent read.

Gone Away Lake, Elizabeth Enright
This is another childhood classic I want to revisit. It was our family tradition to read this book every couple of years. While it has some independent kids for the first half of the book, the issues get straightened out eventually, and it brings back so many memories.

The Magician's Nephew, C.S. Lewis
I'll be teaching writing lessons that pull inspiration from The Magician's Nephew (thanks to this fantastic IEW curriculum) and I'm so excited to be revisiting The Magician's Nephew and reading it for myself this year. It's been too long.

Story Trumps Structure, by Steven James
This was on the Spring List, but it didn't get done. I can count it towards a summer reading program I'm in, so I'm going to tackle it again.

A Cup of Dust, Susie Finkbeiner
I've already skimmed through this book, and it looks absolutely incredible. Susie Finkbeiner is an author from the great state of Michigan, and reading a book by a Michigan author also counts towards the reading program I'm in.

High as the Heavens, Kate Breslin  and A Name Unknown, Roseanna White
Both of these are review books for the summer, which I'm super excited about, because they both have WW1 settings!

What are you hoping to read this summer?

6 comments:

  1. I also have the book Boundaries but I haven't had the mental ability to pick it up yet. Maybe soon. AND I requested those same two WW1 books just yesterday. Trying out fiction reviews. Not something I've done much yet but I researched the authors and I feel fairly comfortable that I won't waste my reading time on them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep checking the mail for my copy--High as the Heavens--I can't wait to dive into it! We shall have to compare notes. :D

      Delete
  2. Gone Away Lake is one of those books hardly anyone seems to have heard of. We have it and its sequel, Return to Gone-Away, and a series by the same authour, the Melendy Quartet. Have you heard of those? They're so much fun. Set during the second World War, too, but not really serious most of the time, just a family having fun.

    I wish I had money to help with the Kickstarter :(. Praying you get everything you need before the deadline!

    https://ofdreamsandswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of the Melendy Quartet--I shall have to look those up--I love the family sound of them! :D

      Sophia, your prayers are SUCH a help with the Kickstarter project. I was thinking of the verse "Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain that build it" (Psalm 27:1). Your prayers for this project help commit it to the Lord in a way that is now and eternally more valuable than money. Thank-you so much for your prayers!

      Delete
  3. You can read Dr. Lutzer's book as soon as I'm done with it, LOL. It's good so far, and I can hear his voice in my head as I read it.

    Oh, Gone-Away. That's a book that has come down 3 generations in our family. I always wished I could go visit Aunt Minihaha and Uncle Pin and have a big Victorian house to have a clubhouse in. Such good memories of reading that and Return to Gone Away with all of you! :)

    I'm still working on my Spring TBR, too--but I knew it might end up being my Spring-Summer-Fall-Winter TBR, ha-ha. There have been some really, really good ones this year. Treasures which I didn't expect to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think honestly one of the greatest gifts you gave us as a mom growing up, besides a Christian education foremost, was the gift of reading. Gone-Away Lake brings back so many memories--I've never forgotten it. It's so cool it's on the third generation--and I agree--I'd love to go there, too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...