Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A Name Unknown, by Roseanna White

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, darlings. I got up at 4:45am this morning, and I'm ready to hit the feathers.

But oh, my was this a good book. A satisfying book. Can you believe all the good books that have come out this year? I can't. I feel like so much creativity and warmth and depth and originality has been springing out of publishing houses. Some of the books I really enjoyed weren't even published this year, I just discovered them this year. But others were, and Roseanna White's A Name Unknown, hot off the press, is a WW1 novel you won't want to miss.

Check out Goodreads for all the descriptions and whatnot here.

My Thoughts 
The premise grabbed me right away with its creativity--World War One (a favorite, because I write WW1 literature, and the time period isn't super common) a novel about London thieves, and a novel about spying, offered so much to enjoy. And guys, it's a really, really fun story. Definitely worth adding to your TBR this year.

First: the characters and setting are effortlessly creative. I love the Cornish setting (hadn't really paid attention to that before or read books with that focus) and the micro-level settings of the library and Peter's study offer so much fun. As a WW1 author myself, I loved reading about some of the historical details (did you know paper clips were around pre-WW1?) as well as the time where people were straddling electricity and non-electricity, carriages and motorcars.

I loved Rosemary's background. It has a very Dickensian streak to it, with the London pub, the close sense of family, and the thievery that they resort to to stay alive. And Peter...Peter was my favorite. He's so kind, with the way he writes heartfelt letters to people, and so funny with his messy library and the way he shushes you when he has some novel inspiration he doesn't want to lose. I'm afraid this will sound like gushing, but it's not meant to be. It's just an honest love for a good fictional friend.  I liked how Roseanna capture the perspective of a writer, because as a writer, I can resonate well with that. :)

I also really appreciated the romance. Peter and Rosemary have a very natural, good progression from employer/employee to mentor/mentee, to Peter praying for her in a crisis, to friends. They exchanged thoughts and opinions and worldviews, and I really resonate with worldview exchange plus gentle kindness in moments of vulnerable distress, (those two things basically sum up why I love Peter Holstein's character). The character arcs are alive, feel very natural and real, and the relationships of the characters to one another and to God are so well-written, it made me really enjoy the book.

The paperback edition is nice to hold and read. If you want a fun WW1 historical novel with intrigue and a dash of really well-done romance, A Name Unknown is the perfect choice. You can find it on Amazon.  I can't wait for book 2 in this series!


I received this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a wonderful novel! I will have to pick it up some day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...